Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2006, 02:13 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sorry, forgot.

Welcome to the Pentax Forums, nice bunch of Pentax people here, perhaps best if you don't mention you have a Box Brownie though! ;-)

12-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GregNS Quote
My understanding is that the camera will go to the HIGHEST common denominator (or whatever you call it).

If you take 10 pics on one card then switch to another new card then it will continue from #11. If you shoot from 11 - 20 on card #2 then put the first card back in (with pics 1-10 on it) it will continue from #21.

However, if the new card already has a picture number 27 on it then the camera will say "oops I guess I should be up there" and go from 28 on.
OK. This makes sense, since I was putting multiple cards in and out of the same camera.

I did trade in my DL for a K100D yesterday. I put in a card from the DL that still had photos on it. BUT, I formatted it before snapping any pictures. The counting seems to have started at around 100-0150??? The card has 161-189 on it. I did delete some before that first number kept, but there's is NO WAY I deleted 50-150 images. It does make sense to have been 10-11 though.

So, my guess: If you put a card in with pictures and start snapping, it may renumber them. (I'm not willing to try that with another card unless I know that I can reset the counting and how.) But, it looks like just putting it in and formatting before you shoot does not affect the counting. My DL was up in the 6500's.

Faith
12-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #18

I have shot on the same card with my wifes WP and my DS without a problem and I have shot with a card with images from my DS, then into an OLY P&S then back to my DS. Never noticed a sequencing issue with any. It seems the plane from Japan flew right over Vancouver and onto the 'centre of the universe' so unfortunately I can't test with my DS against the K10D.
12-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #19

The camera has an internal counter but if the highest image number on the card is higher than the internal counter that higher number is used for the internal counter and as start for subsequent numbering (that's how I understand it).

I always format the card after placing it into the camera. With that I never had a problem with sharing cards in multiple bodies.

Holger

06-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peted Quote
There is a "reset" in the menu, might investigate that later.

My Sigma flash is in need of an update to the firmware to work with the K10D, might see if they will give it to the rep for me to take with him next time he dropped in??
did anyone try or figure out how to reset the counter or get back to lower number I did same as other switched cards from DS to K10 now wnat then numbers back to what they should be.,
06-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by saltoricco Quote
The camera has an internal counter but if the highest image number on the card is higher than the internal counter that higher number is used for the internal counter and as start for subsequent numbering (that's how I understand it).

I always format the card after placing it into the camera. With that I never had a problem with sharing cards in multiple bodies.

Holger
This seems to be consistent with my expereince as well. I swap cards between my DS and K10D and try to remember to format when they go in the camera. Sometimes I forget though - the last example I found was from K10D (lower picture count) to DS (higher picture count) and even though mixed on the card, both cameras recorded the correct image numbers. I have had one experience when someone else used his card in my camera (DS to DS) and I "lost" ~800 image numbers.
06-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
This seems to be consistent with my expereince as well. I swap cards between my DS and K10D and try to remember to format when they go in the camera. Sometimes I forget though - the last example I found was from K10D (lower picture count) to DS (higher picture count) and even though mixed on the card, both cameras recorded the correct image numbers. I have had one experience when someone else used his card in my camera (DS to DS) and I "lost" ~800 image numbers.
I never worried about the frame number or the frame count with my ist D, nor with the K100d. But after watching some of the contests that require specific frame numbers over at DPR and the bragging that comes from knowing the 'actual frame count', I got hooked on keeping a count.

Sooo, somebody here has a 'screwed-up count' because the mechanism works from the N+1 point on what ever card is inserted....

Might try this to reset the 'correct' count:

Format a card and zero the camera counter; remove the card and stuff it into a card reader or slot on the computer where the last correctly counted photo resides. Copy that photo back to the card. Return the card to the camera.

Just a thought...
06-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #23
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm using two K100D bodies, one started at 0 when the older was somewhere around 2000+. since one is mine, one belongs to my girlfriend, when we're going out we are effectively swapping cameras (I'm ussualy using kit lens, while my girlfriend has Tamron 70-300) but to avoid confusion we are swapping SD cards so than it's easiear to sort pictures out, or so you would think so... what happens is that both cameras keep counting according to numbers on the card in them, and not actual numbers of frames... i.e. if I have 2005 pictures on my camera and then put my card to my girlfriend's K100D when it's showing 100 pics next number will be still 2006 and not 101. not a big deal but bit dissapointing

07-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
regardless of whether the numbering sqeuence gets screwed up or not, what is really needed is to allow the user to define the 4 character prefix so they can distinguish between shots taken from one camera and another
07-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
I never worried about the frame number or the frame count with my ist D, nor with the K100d. But after watching some of the contests that require specific frame numbers over at DPR and the bragging that comes from knowing the 'actual frame count', I got hooked on keeping a count.

Sooo, somebody here has a 'screwed-up count' because the mechanism works from the N+1 point on what ever card is inserted....

Might try this to reset the 'correct' count:

Format a card and zero the camera counter; remove the card and stuff it into a card reader or slot on the computer where the last correctly counted photo resides. Copy that photo back to the card. Return the card to the camera.

Just a thought...
UGHH tried it and no go. I may try again but I am prettty sure I am out of luck. Wonder if it would work if and or after a firmware update. Now I just need a firmware update. Anyone have any other thoughts?
07-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #26

Speaking for myself, with those two cameras, absolutely it is a factor. I put a DS card (#1900 or something) into the K10D (up to photo #200 or something) and the K10D continued the DS count without breaking a sweat. Then I put a brand new card into the K10D and it continued with the count it had started on the DS card. Annoying. I wish the count was done on the camera-body side, not the SD-card side. (Though when changing between istDS cards, it seems to have problems only when it clocks 10000. Then all hell breaks loose)

Gotta love it.
07-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

well I sure hope Pentax brains note discussion issues like this and if they decide to act on it I hope they also include my very important and highly marketable idea of a user settable shot counter!
07-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #28
Site Supporter

There was another thread on this subject recently, and I quoted from the K100D manual the section, "Resetting the File number." There are two menu choices:
------------------------
Default is SerialNo.

SerialNo: The file number of the most recent captured image is placed in (ed: camera) memory and the file number will remain continuous after inserting the new SD memory card.

Reset: Every time a new SD Memory Card is inserted the file number is the smallest number. When an SD Memory Card with stored images is inserted, numbering continues from the last stored number.
-----------------------

At that time I experimented with swapping cards between my K100D and K110D. Sure enough, the new K110D picked up the higher number from the K100D. I changed the option to "Reset", inserted an erased card, and changed it back to "SerialNo". It was just like new, which was better than 4000+. In the rare case that I may swap cards between cameras in the future I will always erase them in the computer first (I have not formatted since day one).
07-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
UGHH tried it and no go. I may try again but I am prettty sure I am out of luck. Wonder if it would work if and or after a firmware update. Now I just need a firmware update. Anyone have any other thoughts?
Thanks for trying-I was beginning to wonder...

I'm going to play with this problem a bit more; who knows...
07-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I got it.

Okay take card out make sure it is empty. Go into settings Rec. Mode open it by using the right arrow, scroll down to File No. uncheck the box. Now put in card take picture or two. They should be 001 and 002. I did this to make sure it went to 0 and it did. I then took the card out deleted the pictures via my PC and card reader. Loaded a file with picture I wanted, in my case I chose img4000. Before putting it back in the camera I went back to the settings and rechecked the File No. box. But in card took pictures. now have 4001 & 4002. Cool. I took the card out deleted again, tried again and looks like all is well. I know have my K10 back roughly were it should be and not 9000. Well as far as the file count which is want I wanted. Hope this helps others.