Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Only without the autofocus unless you get the chipped adapter?
I assume you mean that focus confirmation won't work without the chipped ebay adapters, because AF will not work on a Canon body, either way.

02-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Come to the "Off-Brand" thread, and we'll talk.
02-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
I assume you mean that focus confirmation won't work without the chipped ebay adapters, because AF will not work on a Canon body, either way.
Ah yes, slip of the mind...
02-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I had considered a 7D, but a compact body is important to me.

7D is too close in size to full frame to be worthwhile.

Gosh I wish Pentax would bring out a D90-sized, weather sealed full frame.

02-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

OK, the 7D has....

No high-grade EFS format, sealed lenses. The L grade lenses dont cover suitable FLs for a cropped camera (eg 16-35/ 17-40 are only 2X zooms and very heavy, the 24-70 is not very wide. The EFS 17-55 F2.8 though good is cheaply made and most of the rest are only "OK" optically).

Mirror lockup is a PITA. Still.

Only 10X magnification on review (vs 32X). Impossible to check critical focus.

No green button or hyper-manual modes, no TAv or Sv exposures and pretty rubbish auto-ISO implementation.

No ability to use pancake or LTD primes.

No WB adjust on image review.

in fact lots of things I use every day.

What does a 7D have? Faster frame rate and AF tracking. I don't shoot sport or wildlife so I am unmoved by this. Hi ISO noise in JPEG is better, in RAW is comparable once processed properly. Resolution is close enough to be more lens dependent than anything else.

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
So I just got my K7 after 3 years using a K10. I did see the Canon 7D when researching, and its performance at high ISO was vaunted. Then there's a YouTube video, googlable with "k7 7d", showing how an autofocus for a 7D expensive Canon lens with built-in motor is faster than a K7's in low light.

Now, after K10, I'm super-happy with the autofocus. There's an ISO button now right near the shutter, both on the camera and the grip; still that reminds me of high ISO performance. I must say I don't really use the camera in such a low light as to warrant more than 1600. So I wonder what are the scenarios you'd prefer 7D, really.

I'm super-happy with the size, and that I could use all my lenses. The rugged construction, the SR, the no need to buy expensive and heavy Canon glass. Finally, I like being different from canikon-wielders. Looks like the year of staying with trusted gear -- a VW after a VW, a Pentax after a Pentax for me.

Still, I'd like more fodder to validate the K7 over 7D preference!
02-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, or is it :-)

It doesn't take much searching to find that the Canon 7D has some AF issues. I've read two reports now of guys going thru 2 cameras and waiting for a 3rd one to solve AF problems. Like Pentax's SDM problems, hard to know how widespread the problem is without anything more than annecdotal information, but the folks affected aren't happy.

Also read 1 report that complains about Canon going too far with 18 megapixels and the resulting noise problems.

Right after i got my first DSLR, a K10D, and joined a nearby camera club, a Nikon owner sadly informed me, with good intentions, that the only way to get good lenses was to buy Nikon ones. 3 years later, that still makes me laugh. I've looked at several of his photos over the last coupla years and in no way are they more attractive or sharper than what i've achieved with my Pentax gear, i think the opposite.

There are pros and cons with any camera manufacturer. So far, i'm the limiting factor with my gear, not the other way around. Enjoy your K7!

Last edited by philbaum; 02-22-2010 at 11:16 AM.
02-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
So far, i'm the limiting factor with my gear, not the other way around. Enjoy your K7!
This is usually the case for all of us!
A tool is only better depending on how one uses it.
The fire is just a regular fire if used only to cook food, but fire becomes something else when used to mold metal or glass to create something useful from out of our thoughts.
02-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
I just have to compliment a fellow VW AND Pentax enthusiast on a fine choice in cameras and cars! Someday I hope to upgrade to the K-7 (or whatever is tops when I finally have the cash!) someday.

02-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #24

Original Poster
@*isteve -- right on! That's what I wanted to hear! Especially now, having ordered a DA 40/2.8, FA 50/1.4, DA* 16-50, and FA 77.
02-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #25
Forum Member

Steve, you summed it up well. In December when I bought my K7 I first went to my local camera shop to try it out. They had one in stock but immediately suggested I buy a D7 instead. I looked at it but instantly preferred the K7, a decision I have not regretted. To be fair, the D7 autofocus was a little faster (the difference was not that big a deal) but the lens issues, general usability and ergonomics made the K7 a clear preference. It was interesting though that the camera shop was pushing the D7.
02-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-7 is pretty nice, you can do some cool stuff with it. Of course it'd be a little bit nicer if it didn't have the DFS at above 30 seconds but that's another story

See The World's Best Photos of k7 and pentax - Flickr Hive Mind
02-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #27
Inactive Account

VW/K7 owner here.

As for 7D over K7...the only thing that needs to be said is FA77.

You can thank me later.

c[_]
02-26-2010, 07:26 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Make me Feel Good with Getting K7 over 7D!"

No. You blew a wad of cash on a camera and you want some dimwit in Maryland to assure you it was a good idea? Feh! You want to feel good about it? Go take some photos.

And, anyway, I drive a Subaru.