Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #1

Make me Feel Good with Getting K7 over 7D!

So I just got my K7 after 3 years using a K10. I did see the Canon 7D when researching, and its performance at high ISO was vaunted. Then there's a YouTube video, googlable with "k7 7d", showing how an autofocus for a 7D expensive Canon lens with built-in motor is faster than a K7's in low light.

Now, after K10, I'm super-happy with the autofocus. There's an ISO button now right near the shutter, both on the camera and the grip; still that reminds me of high ISO performance. I must say I don't really use the camera in such a low light as to warrant more than 1600. So I wonder what are the scenarios you'd prefer 7D, really.

I'm super-happy with the size, and that I could use all my lenses. The rugged construction, the SR, the no need to buy expensive and heavy Canon glass. Finally, I like being different from canikon-wielders. Looks like the year of staying with trusted gear -- a VW after a VW, a Pentax after a Pentax for me.

Still, I'd like more fodder to validate the K7 over 7D preference!

02-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
feel the thickness of your wallet. now imagine it had you bought the 7D
02-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
feel the thickness of your wallet. now imagine it had you bought the 7D
That I do a lot now!
02-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #4

The excellent controls, I use my friend's 5D periodically and it just doesn't click with me as well, oh yes, and the size, big plus

02-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A friend of mine just picked up a 7D and he has been voicing concern recently. Apparently (according to him) it getting a few bad reviews regarding low ISO and standard autofocus. Now I'm sure it is a fine camera, but it doesn't "feel right" in my hands. Even if they were priced the same, I would be drawn to the K7.
02-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

More money, More lenses.
02-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you need to focus on the size difference. The 7D is an amazing camera, but it is also big enough that you wouldn't be likely to drag it everywhere. On the other hand, put a DA limited on the K7 and you have high speced, relatively compact camera. Frankly, I doubt that the 7D focuses much faster than the K7 with either the DA 40 or 70, at least in reasonable lighting.

02-20-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Mmmmm...

Feel how small it is...and feel how large your wallet is.

Enjoy it
02-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I walked out with the 7D instead, i found my strides were faster but my arms felt sluggish

In the end you'll get them both.
02-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think you need to focus on the size difference. The 7D is an amazing camera, but it is also big enough that you wouldn't be likely to drag it everywhere. On the other hand, put a DA limited on the K7 and you have high speced, relatively compact camera. Frankly, I doubt that the 7D focuses much faster than the K7 with either the DA 40 or 70, at least in reasonable lighting.

It focuses much faster well when i did the "@ the counter test"
02-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by braver Quote
Still, I'd like more fodder to validate the K7 over 7D preference!
The K7 uses Pentax lenses, the Canon doesn't.
02-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #12

I like the functionality of the K7 but think it is too small a body. Shame, for me at least. But I bet there are others that like the K10D / K20D body size and controls.

K7 in a K10D /K20D body would be perfect. IMO
02-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

How about go out and spend some time composing and shooting and validate yourself the old fashioned way.

Jason
02-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I am a Pentax user and have gotten myself to using about any lens that I have bought.
Even TCs or other archaic accessories.
What I can say is, when my brother gave me a Canon since I was into DSLRs (he wasn't), and started playing with it..I found out that it constrained me or constricted my tinkering and creative abilities.
Suddenly I can only use EF or EFS lenses. Lenses with IS costed a lot too.
I was trying to find out more how I could mount older manual lenses but even if you google on that, you would almost always get nada! No users sharing their experiences about this.
The viewfinder (Rebel) was not made for MF either!
What I can say after that experience is, the Canon Rebel would probably relegated to a back-up camera and mostly like an expensive P&S.
The kit lens that came with it is all that it will have (won't buy AF lenses with or without IS).
With that said, even if the Canon that fell into my lap was a Rebel XT, I would say that the Pentax K100D that I have give me more freedom than the Canon could possibly give!
The 7D is just a newer model but the same lenses go to it and it is very constricting!
02-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The K7 uses Pentax lenses, the Canon doesn't.
I thought about this but wouldn't K-FA series lenses work on canon like takumars on Pentax? Only without the autofocus unless you get the chipped adapter?