Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
auto thristor flash with k-x

Those oldies but goodies...Have a cheap Sunpack Auto 383 super that worked just fine with the k100. Can't seem to get it to fire with the K-x. I got one flash, fiddled with some of the settings, and now nada. It will fire manually with the test button on the unit. Is there some sort of forced flash setting I'm missing. If I remember correctly, the magic shutter speed was 200 on the k100.

Related question: I'm shooting interiors from a tripod, not any big rush. Any real point to buying some fancy ttl unit?

Thanks in advance

02-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Set the shutter speed at 1/180 or slower (or X if your camera has it) and try again.
02-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
And take care of the trigger voltage, a to high voltage can blow you're in-camera thiristor.
Pentax won't give us specs for the maximum alowed trigger voltage so far. So keep it on the safe side and don't go above 6 volts.

Here you find a list of the most common flash units and there trigger voltages. According to that list, you're flash shouldn't give to much risks for the K-x

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
02-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
Pentax won't give us specs for the maximum alowed trigger voltage so far. So keep it on the safe side and don't go above 6 volts.
I'm not sure where the max value of 6 volts come from -- probably from a message from a Canon tech that was referring to a particular Rebel model.

I have been using a few Sunpak and Vivitar and Metz flash units with trigger voltage up to 24V for a few years now. I haven't experienced any bad effect to my K10D and K7 bodies yet.

Where did I find the max value of 24V? Frankly I don't know either, probably from an ISO standard (note that Pentax doesn't claim to be ISO-compliant).

The only official data that I found is from the manual of my Ricoh GX200. It says "20V."

02-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
Chalk one more up to less-than-perfect battery mode. Camera has plenty of juice to shoot au naturel without the flash attached, but apparently not enough to fire the flash. New set of lithiums seems to have cured the problem. Be interesting to compile a list of anomalous behaviour based on low battery states.
02-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That doesn't ring right - the flash is powered by its own batteries, not the camera's. I'm guessing something else changed at the same time - like the shutter speed - to make it start working.
02-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
Only other thing I can think of is that removing the batteries caused something to reset/reboot. But I tried that earlier with negative results.

There was also some, well, flaky behavior that cleared up. I couldn't turn off bracketing for example.

How does the k-x store settings when turned off? Is there some sort of battery backed cmos, like a pc?