Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-x Killing Images?

Hi,

More recently, I've started noticing sometimes after I take a shot, I go to preview it and it says "The File May Be Damaged or Unsupported" (something to that extent; can't remember exactly but I'll test it in a sec and edit it). First, I thought it was a one in a million thing. Last night was a school dance, to which I took my camera. I didn't get to take much shots (super low light + dancing people + inexperienced photographer = not many good results). I now find there are 3 damaged files. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

I'm using a 16GB Panasonic Class 10 SDHC card. Figured I should mention that.

Last edited by Shub; 02-19-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added Memory Card Info.
02-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds likes a bad SD card. Have you tested it with an other card?
02-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
To be honest, I don't really have another decent SD card. I have a MicroSD with an adapter :S Think I should go to Futureshop and just exchange it? I think it has a hefty warranty on it.
02-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
off load the card data to a computer and reformat it. it's a really good idea to periodically reformat your card not just erase it.

02-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
off load the card data to a computer and reformat it. it's a really good idea to periodically reformat your card not just erase it.
Format it in the camera, not on a computer.
02-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #6

Sounds like a card issue
02-19-2010, 03:10 PM   #7

Panasonic & Kx

Hi, I had a similar problem with a new Panasonic 8GB Olympic card. I put it into the Kx, formatted it- then an error message, something about a bad card. I then put the card into my Canon S5iS, formatted the card & it worked. I took the Sandisk Ultra 3 card from the Canon, formatted it in the Kx & it worked. Finally I took the Pana card , formatted it (again) in the Kx, took two pictures & was told the card was full. I returned the Pana for a new one (Pana) that worked first time. My first card failure in about 12 purchases!

02-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Inactive Account

(Hi Blackcloudbrew)

If you have to format a card regularly, that would suggest a problem. I have three cards and they have been formatted once each.

The camera file standard is FAT32 so it should not matter whether you use the camera or the computer.

The only exception I have found to this is when I used RescuePro to erase a card, and the camera then could not format it but the PC could.
02-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
Alright, I'll do that, but it's less than 3 months old, so I didn't think it would need one.

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
Alright, cool.

QuoteOriginally posted by shawnxji Quote
Sounds like a card issue
Yeah, that was my thoughts.

QuoteOriginally posted by budgetracer Quote
Hi, I had a similar problem with a new Panasonic 8GB Olympic card. I put it into the Kx, formatted it- then an error message, something about a bad card. I then put the card into my Canon S5iS, formatted the card & it worked. I took the Sandisk Ultra 3 card from the Canon, formatted it in the Kx & it worked. Finally I took the Pana card , formatted it (again) in the Kx, took two pictures & was told the card was full. I returned the Pana for a new one (Pana) that worked first time. My first card failure in about 12 purchases!
Yeah, I have the 16GB Olympic one too. I didn't get an error message about a bad card yet, but I'll see what has to be done. Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
(Hi Blackcloudbrew)

If you have to format a card regularly, that would suggest a problem. I have three cards and they have been formatted once each.

The camera file standard is FAT32 so it should not matter whether you use the camera or the computer.

The only exception I have found to this is when I used RescuePro to erase a card, and the camera then could not format it but the PC could.
Alright, thanks. I'll probably just do it on the camera.
02-19-2010, 10:32 PM   #10

Have a Kx and Panasonic 16GB class 10 SD card as well. Before first use, reformatted using the camera -- so far no issues since.

Like everyone's suggestions, reformat it a couple of times in the camera and see if you get the issue again. I would just take test shots -- wouldn't want to experience this problem in the middle of a real shoot.
02-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Concur. Reformat after every download.
02-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
third vote on that. I always format in camera after downloading the images. Takes a couple of seconds and I feel better for the gain in safety against data corruption.

Ben
02-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

get a new card

I have read of QC 'issues' at certain Chinese card-making facilities, where workers sometimes run-off batches of un-inspected cards in the off-hours. This may or may not be the case with your problematic card -- but if exchanging it for a new one is no trouble, do so. Or see if you can swap cards with someone else for a test run. That might help you determine if the problem is the card, or the camera. G'luck.
02-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
Yes
QuoteOriginally posted by shawnxji Quote
Sounds like a card issue
Yes
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
And yes.

Always reformat in the camera After the data has been securely downloaded. Even the best cards can cause issues.
02-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Always reformat in the camera After the data has been securely downloaded. Even the best cards can cause issues.
I must respectfully disagree. Since 2002 I've used various digital cameras by Pentax, Minolta, Olympus, and Sony, using variously MemSticks (Sony), XD cards (Oly), and a few breeds of SD. Of the couple dozen or so cards I've bought, I have had NO [zero none zilch] corruption problems. when offloading via USB cable or a SanDisk multicard reader, or card readers (SD and MemStick) embedded in computers. I *did* have a problem with a no-name multicard reader, which insisted on reformatting cards after offloading. And I had a problem with an SD card formatted in a Minolta PNS which the Pentax K20D couldn't read -- reformatting on the K20D left the card still usable by the Minolta. Go figure.

I don't reformat after each offload because I have common directory structures on each card, and a common script (kept synchronized with my various net'd laptops). I carry different laptops on different journeys, and plug in various USB etc stuff that looks like different virtual drives. With the common structures and script, each card knows precisely how to rename files to identify the source camera, and where to offload on each computer, because the script is run from the card, not from the laptop. With the MemStick (Sony) cams, and the SD-card (Minolta & Pentax) cams, I can swap cards as needed, and images from the current camera always end up in a known directory with proper names. Reformatting after offloading would destroy all this and make managing my photos much more difficult.

I should also note that when I buy a new card, I stress-test it by loading and offloading, moving the card between cameras and computers, all repeated a few times. No cards have failed to pass the stress test, and none have suffered problems (yet). I'm a retired software engineer (burnt-out codemonkey); I treat memory card usage as just another form of system integration. Test them with paranoia, watch them carefully. If anyone else wants to perform continuous reformats, fine, but that's not for me.