Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x, I am so, so tempted......

I have a K20D with which I am quite happy. In fact, I've been re-building my lens kit over the last couple of months.

Now, I keep reading the accolades given to the K-x. In fact, went to the local Pentax Dealer and put my hands on one a couple of months ago.

Now, I see one of the forum members selling his K7 because he prefers the K-x.

What to do? What to do? What to do?

02-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Get a shiny white K-x and a fast 50mm lens and you will never need to bother about flashlight. As a side effect, you will get compliments for such a good looking camera, mainly from good looking females.
02-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote

The way I see it, there are basically two main reasons to upgrade:

- if you currently feel limited by high ISO on the K20D;
- if you feel the K20D is "too big"

All the rest of features are pretty cool, but not as critical as those above, IMO. Including video.

From what I recall, the K20D is actually pretty usable up to ISO 1600, so in your case, unless you actually need an extra step (I freely use the Kx up to ISO3200, but no more than that), it is hard to justify.

The K20d has a very nice semi-pro body... but the Kx has a very nice compact body too...

I guess it depends on what you value after all...
02-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As I've said in other threads like this one, the K-x is a great complement to the K20D/K-7, but not a great replacement. Get both, not just one or the other.

(And if you have to get just one, keep the K20D.)

02-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Sorry BBear, but I cannot see the K-x being classed as an upgrade from the K20 or the K-7 and by what I have tried and tested it has good ISO performance .but its no replacement.

I was going to sell my Samsung GX20 to cover the costs of my recent purchase of a K-x but I have now chosen to keep it as the K-x lacks many features and for me does not feel balanced at all with larger lenses and has a much less solid feel about it

It runs well in low light with my LTD's and FA50, but I prefer to shoot if I can at low ISO with my K-7 and take the benefit of fast excellent quality glass.

So the K-x as said is only used where required when flash is not permitted and I need to bump ISO up on my fast glass.

Bottom line is the K-x is a great little camera with good high ISO performance, but its not a replacement.

cheers

Neil
02-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Sorry BBear, but I cannot see the K-x being classed as an upgrade from the K20 or the K-7 and by what I have tried and tested it has good ISO performance .but its no replacement.
Hi Neil,

first of all, there is no need to be sorry, even if we had different opinions, which may not be the case actually in this issue.

I did say that IF he feels the K20D's ISO is limiting (for his style) AND the body is TOO BIG, then the Kx WILL improve on that.

Obviously if the OP feels 1600 for instance is more than enough OR that the K20D has a nice grip and handling or even that WR is essential, then there is not much to ask here, is there?

Like I tried to point out, it boils down to necessity. And dont get me wrong, I still have the K10D, but I dont use it half as much I thought i would... so yeah, I could almost say the Kx REPLACES it... but then we are talking about K10D x Kx... and that was a "almost" and not "fully".

And regarding the K7, it is important to point out that K7 body is more compact than K20D, so even LESS reasons to consider the Kx, if size was a concern.
02-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think I see why people misunderstood my original comments... there is a big IF at the front of each reason:

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote

- if you currently feel limited by high ISO on the K20D;
- if you feel the K20D is "too big"

I hope this clear things up!

02-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks BBear for clearing things

cheers mate

Neil
02-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I totally agree. Complement, not replacement for K20d.
02-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Yeah, I totally agree. Complement, not replacement for K20d.
Not unless you find yourself using the K-x more than the K20D as I have read some members where finding out.
02-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I was back in the local Camera Store this afternoon to pick up a couple of items.

Once again, I handled the K-x.

What a neat little package. The AF with the DAL 18-55 seemed incredibly fast. I wonder if it's that fast with an SDM lens attached?

No, it's definitely not a replacement for the K20D but would certainly be a great addition to my system.

Still very tempted.
02-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I sold my K20d and went to the Kx and its a better camera

Do miss the 2nd e dial though.

Also made $200 profit on the swap.
02-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

After a couple months with the K-x, I no longer miss the K20D (despite its being an excellent camera). I have to disagree with most of those who've replied here; if image quality (rather than handling and features) is your highest priority, I feel the K-x is a perfectly valid "upgrade" from the K20D, not just a complement. The Samsung sensors are nice in a lot of ways but just don't provide the freedom the K-x's sensor gives me (this isn't just about quantitative noise differences, which are honestly minor at base exposure. Once you start to work with the file, the K-x's noise doesn't interfere with the image, while the K20D's noise is often just too distracting).

If I needed a semipro featureset, I'd have to buy a D90, since it shares the same sensor as the K-x. The K-x has changed the way I work and I don't think I'd be able to go back to the K20D's files.
02-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Not unless you find yourself using the K-x more than the K20D as I have read some members where finding out.
I am firmly among those using the K-x more than the K20d, but I still say it is a complement to my K20d, rather than replacement. I'm also taking far more DA 15mm shots than with the K 135mm 2.5. I would not say one has replaced the other.

The K-x is the newest toy in my box; it is opening a new area of photography; I am focused on the K-x, and therefore not currently doing as much of the type of photography for which I prefer the K20d; I could go on about the reasons the K-x is getting more use now.

At any ISO under 800, I don't see any useful upgrade to the K-x sensor, so I would be interested to hear more about what others perceive to be an improvement. With 30+ years of Pentax lenses in the closet, I don't see jumping to another line as a viable way to get semipro features, but YMMV.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-20-2010 at 07:55 AM.
02-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Go out, have fun and take great shots with the excellent equipment you have!