Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #1

K10D and deep sea fishing...

I'm about to go on a deep sea fishing excursion this Friday, and I'm sure I will be taking my K10D with me. I was wondering if there were any precautions needed to take with it seeing as though I'll be around salt water and there is a lot of salt in the air. Or can I just wipe everything down real well when I get back and not worry about it?

Thanks!

07-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to take a large plastic bag with you to cover up your camera and/or camera bag. During those times when you're more prone to getting splashed (like when the boat is traveling out to whereever you'll be fishing), it can pay to have a little added protection.
07-03-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filter over the lens - or several that you can swap over during the day.
07-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Filter over the lens - or several that you can swap over during the day.
I'll second that. Nothing is more fun than trying to get salt-spray off the front of your lens. Salt tends to have an unwanted "abrassive" effect on the lens-coatings (SMC).

07-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
so if taking picture of the ocean with a lot of wind is it neccessary to caover upo lense with filters (do you keep more thatn 1 filter for each lense?)
07-13-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I actually got my unprotected Sigma 18-50/2.8 DC EX sprayed with saltwater. I was quite upset and worried until I tried to clean it. It took some hot breathing on the lens and three (I believe) pieces of single use lens cleaning sheets (Colkin).
I did learn a lesson and bought a multi coated UV filter ASAP.
07-20-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixalot Quote
I'm about to go on a deep sea fishing excursion this Friday, and I'm sure I will be taking my K10D with me. I was wondering if there were any precautions needed to take with it seeing as though I'll be around salt water and there is a lot of salt in the air. Or can I just wipe everything down real well when I get back and not worry about it?

Thanks!
I'm afraid that you have to worry unless you have a weather/water sealed lens also! ;-)

07-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Have you checked into some sort of rain cover for your camera? Some of these can be very expensive, but there are some cheaper alternatives. I have seen some where it is basically a clear vinyl bag with a bungee cord/elastic end for your lens and another for your hands at the other end.

I would imagine this would work very well for you.