Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what Pentax should do

hello i have an idea for Pentax,

they should sell up grades sepertly. an example would be the K100D supper, why not sell the up grades to thows of us that already have them but do it so that we can pick witch ones we wont. not every one would wont the dust removal BUT maby some one would wont the SMD op you send the K100D in and have it put in.

other things that they could sell as up grades so we do not have to keep buying new cameras.

1. new algorithms
2. metal bodes
3. other focing screens
4. bigger buffer
5. sencers

this way we would not have to buy a new camera we would just get the up grads
also it would make it so that we could coutmise our cameras to the work that we do. i think Pentax could make a Killing off this. this is sort of like the same idea as computers you do not have to buy a all new computer every time you up grade you can buy the parts seprtly as you need them or can afford them.

07-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #2

Huh? Or you could just go buy a canon...
07-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HowLowCanYaGo Quote
Huh? Or you could just go buy a canon...
no other maker offers custom up grades. i do not think any way. it is just buying parts and up grads you would need with out buying a hole new camera.
07-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #4

That's a hard sales pitch to drive considering customizing a PC is vastly different than customizing a camera. Even if you could buy 'upgrades' you'd be without a camera for quite some time considering that the SDM support is an actual hardware replacement, as is the dust sensor from my understanding. If even 1000 people send their K100D's back for a 'hardware upgrade', just imagine the wait times that would ensue for getting the products back. I'd rather walk into my local camera store, purchase a K100D Super or even trade my K100D for a K10D if funds allow and walk out a happy customer with a usable camera that very day.

The other flip side to this is that how many camera stores are really going to carry said parts, it's hard enough as is finding Pentax lenses that we need let alone hunting hardware/firmware and finding authorised retailers to install it... blech, too complicated!

07-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

cameras are a little more complicated than a single pcb that can slide into a slot in a computer case.
07-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smcclelland Quote
That's a hard sales pitch to drive considering customizing a PC is vastly different than customizing a camera. Even if you could buy 'upgrades' you'd be without a camera for quite some time considering that the SDM support is an actual hardware replacement, as is the dust sensor from my understanding. If even 1000 people send their K100D's back for a 'hardware upgrade', just imagine the wait times that would ensue for getting the products back. I'd rather walk into my local camera store, purchase a K100D Super or even trade my K100D for a K10D if funds allow and walk out a happy customer with a usable camera that very day.

The other flip side to this is that how many camera stores are really going to carry said parts, it's hard enough as is finding Pentax lenses that we need let alone hunting hardware/firmware and finding authorised retailers to install it... blech, too complicated!
i have both the K100D and K10D and i use them for different things i use the K10D for sports , day time shooting and bad weather and the K100D as back up, night shooting and i have a 2 nd lens on it so i do not change lens when shooting. then i have my K1000 and a Nikon N2000 as a back up.
the "supper" is not worth buying.

i like the cameras and in a cople of years i just do not wont to completely toss them and spend 1500$ or so on 2 more bodes. i rather spend a 200-300$ up grading what i have. yes i would be with out one or the other for a bit but that is ok.

i have to agree with the lens issue, but i found KEH to be pretty good and there is a local shop that has some near me. the thing is i think the prices are going up. some of the screw mounts are as explicative as new lens. Pentax needs to reissue older lines.
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
i just do not wont to completely toss them and spend 1500$ or so on 2 more bodes. i rather spend a 200-300$ up grading what i have. yes i would be with out one or the other for a bit but that is ok.
So you want to spend less money than you would on a new camera for a process that is very likely to be much more labor intensive than actually assembling a new camera from scratch on the assembly line. Not to mention engineering in reverse-compatibility into the very structure of their new cameras.

Then of course there is what that would do to the warranty process. It wouldn't get any more efficient or cheaper, that's for sure.

Make a killing? More like commit suicide.
07-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
i like the cameras and in a cople of years i just do not wont to completely toss them and spend 1500$ or so on 2 more bodes. i rather spend a 200-300$ up grading what i have. yes i would be with out one or the other for a bit but that is ok.
This might come as a surprise, but do you think a mainboard, sensor and labor upgrade is going to be any cheaper? I'd foresee a shop charging a good $50/hr plus for the labor, sensors at around $300 give or take, SDM/HSM hardware at what, $200+? Much more of a waste of money than simply investing in a new body or additional body.

In a couple years you assess the needs you have as a photographer and base your decision on those needs. With computers, I wait until CPU speeds have doubled at least before I upgrade my computer; with cameras, I look at what my current requirements are, assess if they are fulfilled by my setup and go from there.

Hot-swappable parts with SLR style cameras just sounds like a bad idea to me, both financially and from a manfucaturers standpoint.

07-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smcclelland Quote
Hot-swappable parts with SLR style cameras just sounds like a bad idea to me, both financially and from a manfucaturers standpoint.
with existing style slr cameras. With a different design meant to leverage user modifications manufacturers usually earn a lot more margin on replacement and service parts than on finished products.

I see no difference between user-swappable camera components and user-swappable lenses.

I'll bet within all major camera design-manufacturers new product specification documents exist, in some form and age, describing a camera system based on a standard body with a list of user choice items and/or marketing described packaged component sets. I design consumer and industrial electronic equipment and every company I've dealt with has had similar new product plans at some point, some implemented. Probably what's stopping or has stopped these theoretical plans is financial risk of development vs. market acceptance vs. predictable market acceptance of standard slr's.
07-05-2007, 04:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Learn English over again, repost what you just said, and then I'll try to make sense of it.
07-05-2007, 05:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Learn English over again, repost what you just said, and then I'll try to make sense of it.
Meanie .

I understood what he was thinking of even though english is not my native language .

Back to the topic as others said, cameras are a bit more complicated (when it comes to swapping parts) than PCs.

You can change lens and focusing screen though , and probably other stuff too .
07-06-2007, 12:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Meanie .
Pretty much, but if the guy runs a newspaper of some description, he really should be typing better than that crap.
07-06-2007, 01:39 AM   #13

Another upgrade idea

I agree with SupremeMoFo.

There are probably some good ideas in there somewhere - pity about the Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation.... Especially the spelling!!