Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 04:22 AM   #1

Suggestions for a choice

Hi all
I'm an old pentax fan that still owns a MZ5n and several good quality lenses, all for 35mm.
I was away from photos from several years due to family reasons (kids...) and used a small compact fuji camera for family/kids photos... but now it's time to restart my hobby: hiking and shooting or traveling and shooting.
I'm quite undecided among Pentax Kx and Pentax K7: at first glance K7 seems to fit much more what I want: not too much small, sealed, seems more power-user oriented but it has also some weakness... from what I read around it is weak at high ISOs while Kx has a much better high ISO quality and a significant lower price...

considering also that I want to use my 35mm lenses that ranges from 16mm to 210mm (~ 25-300)

I would like to hear your experiences and suggestions...

Do you think that buying body + 2 lenses worths the additional price ?

02-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

If you get a decent deal on the two lens kit, you can usually get at least as much for the lenses as you paid, if you decide not to keep them.
02-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have both. If I could only have one I would choose the K7. That said I don't ever shoot JPEGS. For hiking the K7 is great because it's so sturdy.
02-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sophotec Quote
Hi all
I'm an old pentax fan that still owns a MZ5n and several good quality lenses, all for 35mm.
I was away from photos from several years due to family reasons (kids...) and used a small compact fuji camera for family/kids photos... but now it's time to restart my hobby: hiking and shooting or traveling and shooting.
I'm quite undecided among Pentax Kx and Pentax K7: at first glance K7 seems to fit much more what I want: not too much small, sealed, seems more power-user oriented but it has also some weakness... from what I read around it is weak at high ISOs while Kx has a much better high ISO quality and a significant lower price...

considering also that I want to use my 35mm lenses that ranges from 16mm to 210mm (~ 25-300)

I would like to hear your experiences and suggestions...

Do you think that buying body + 2 lenses worths the additional price ?
I have the K20d and the Kx. I use the K20D for serious telephoto and wildlife shots and the Kx for landscape, indoor and people/portraits. Don't discount the K20d or K10D as they are GREAT cameras. Right now you can get them at a really good price.

02-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I have both. If I could only have one I would choose the K7. That said I don't ever shoot JPEGS. For hiking the K7 is great because it's so sturdy.
The main reason that drive me to K7 over Kx is the build quality and solidity...
May I ask you which are the main reason why you prefer K7 ?

After all seems that Image quality of Kx is better...
02-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest the K-x. In most cases it would do the trick for now.
02-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
I have the K20d and the Kx. I use the K20D for serious telephoto and wildlife shots and the Kx for landscape, indoor and people/portraits. Don't discount the K20d or K10D as they are GREAT cameras. Right now you can get them at a really good price.
I've read reviews at Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ : seems that K7 has not much more that K20, at least for my needs, image output at RAW is indistinguishable... so probably K20 may be a more valuable solution considering the the price is significantly lower, closer to the Kx...

Thanks for the suggestion.

02-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sophotec Quote
I've read reviews at Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ : seems that K7 has not much more that K20, at least for my needs, image output at RAW is indistinguishable... so probably K20 may be a more valuable solution considering the the price is significantly lower, closer to the Kx...

Thanks for the suggestion.
It very much depends, whether you need high ISO for your shots. The K20 is good up to ISO 1250 in my opinion. Beyond that, it cannot stand up against the K-x. But all in all the K20 is still my camera of choice, even over the K7. The K7 has some nice advantages (higher shooting rate, 100% viewfinder, much less noisy, perhaps better AF), but the images are not superior in quality to the K20 - and I doubt, that at standard ISO settings (100,200) the K20 can be bettered by much more expensive APS-C cameras.

Ben
02-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you ever shoot ISO1600 or higher with your film body?

If not, why worry about it now? And the choice is easy in that case (K7/K20D). If you did shoot ISO1600, the choice might be more difficult.

I own a K10D (and K100D) and the biggest issue is that you can not 'calibrate' the combination of body and specific lens yourself if there is a focusing issue (backfocus/frontfocus)); you have to take it to a service center (or use a work around). This does apply to all models except K20D and K7. So I would get a K20D or K7 for this specific reason.
02-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'll echo some of the above recommendations. The K20D probably gives more bang-for-the-buck than a K7 right now, if you need a rugged camera and can live with its ISO/noise constraints. If you need higher speed and don't need the ruggedization, and weight is a consideration, then the Kx is probably a better choice.

And I'll reiterate one of my criteria in analyzing a camera purchase -- what body will I be happy with longest? What body won't I feel impelled to 'upgrade' soon? That takes us back to the points above -- small size and better high-ISO performance (Kx) vs ruggedness and cost-effectiveness (K20D). A K7 is probably as sturdy as a K20D, but the price is a deterrent. To me, anyway.

My next purchase will probably be a DA 18-55 WR for my K20D. That combo won't be used underwater, but it can go just about anywhere else on the planet. (Yes, I've said elsewhere that I won't buy any more DA lenses, as I'm expecting a FF offering in the foreseeable future -- but for the DA 18-55 WR, I'll make an exception.)
05-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #11

Original Poster
Just to let know you all that now I've a K7, since the K20 is out of stock here... anyway I like the camera... it is quite solid and impressive...
Thanks all for your tips.
05-07-2010, 01:45 AM   #12
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the K-7 Pentaxian community and congrat for your purchase. You will love the K-7. For outdoor shooting, it is a great, great camera.