Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Newbie with K-x and battery question

What is the difference in Ni-MH and Ni-Mn battery? Page 39 in the manual gives a caution not to use the Mn battery.

I used rechargables with my previous camera -- Fuji FinePix (yes, I did step up when I bought the K-x) and can't find any markings other than Energizer 2500 mAh.

Just want to start out on the right foot. BTW, the red is beautiful.....

Thanks,

Patsy

P.S. the manual is HUGE

02-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #2

I saw the Ni-Mn mentioned as well as was confused since I've never seen that kind of battery either. I wonder if they meant Ni-Zn.

More than likely your Energizer batteries are NiMH... they should say what they are somewhere on them... my set of Energizer 2300 say NiMH right under the "AA" on the + end.
02-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Ni-Mn - nickel/manganese. Wrong voltage.
02-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Patsy,

Congrats on the new camera and welcome to the forum.

As far as batteries. I have a K200D and except for using the Energizer Lithiums that came with the camera I've been using Sanyo Eneloop rechargables. They can be had from Amazon.com. I have 4 sets and a charger that came with one set. I NEVER have battery issues. They are low self discharge so if I pick my camera up 2 weeks from now the batteries are still good. I keep a set in the camera, a set in the battery grip on the camera, a set in my flash and one extra set in my bag. This setup allows me close to 2000 pictures without having to charge any batteries. The Sanyo Eneloop's are probably the most recommended batteries for DLSR's due to a DSLR's high current demand. Also there is a firmware update for the K-x to improve battery detection and life. Make sure to have fully charged batteries or better yet a new set of Energizer Lithiums in the camera when updating the firmware as a battery failure during the process will kill your camera.

Good Luck and enjoy your new toy!

02-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Sanyo Eneloop rechargables, KKoether said it all !!!!!!!! I just Purchase 2 4pks off ebay for $20 Bucks,Used Bing Cash Back thats 8% off...........Shop Smart !!!!!!!!!!!

The Batterys are AWSOME !!!!!!!!!!
02-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

+1 Sanyo Eneloop batteries with a Sanyo eneloop charger. Use those and you will have no battery problems.

Also don't to forget to check to see if you have the latest firmware version, which improves battery metering. If you don't have the latest version (1.01) you can update your firmware to the latest version, which you can download from here:

Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

You can check the firmware version by holding down the 'Menu' button when powering on the camera.

This update is optional though. If you are having no battery metering issues, you may not need to do the update.
02-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Sorry Patsy - should have said Welcome to the forum.

02-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Patsy,

Welcome to the forum!

I bought the Kx back in October and have used the Rayovac Hybrids since day one. I use the Powerex Maha MH-C9000 WIZARD ONE charger analyzer and have had really great results.

Make sure that you have the latest firmware update and there will be no problems with the batteries!

If you haven't done the update, it is IMPERATIVE that you use fresh batteries for it. I have read numerous horror stories about people having to send their Kx's in for service because the batteries weren't charged enough when they did the update. A good gauge for battery duration is to get into the menu and try the sensor cleaning mirror up function. If there's not enough juice for that, then there's not enough for the firmware update.

Once again, welcome and enjoy your camera!!!
02-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As most have said get a couple of sets of LSD's (Enloops) and this charger
MAHA MH-C9000 Advanced Battery ChargerFree Deluxe Storage Ca.. or this one if money is tight Maha MH-C204W Black World ChargerNo Batteries IncludedInclud..
02-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by spanky66d Quote
Sanyo Eneloop rechargables, KKoether said it all !!!!!!!! I just Purchase 2 4pks off ebay for $20 Bucks,Used Bing Cash Back thats 8% off...........Shop Smart !!!!!!!!!!!

The Batterys are AWSOME !!!!!!!!!!
I got 2 Eneloop battery chargers and 8 Eneloop 2000 batteries for my new White K-x arriving next week.
02-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Gosh, the welcome is overwhelming..... thanks, Guys! I found this post about 2 days after ordering my camera so I spent a lot of time reading before my K-x actually arrived. At that time, I was aware of the firmware update (thanks again to THIS forum) and as soon as I put the batteries & card (8GB) in -- did the update. So the batteries sent with the camera worked. Will find some batteries online this morning from your posts and order.

Thanks again!

Patsy