Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K100D Light Meter Problems

It looks like the light meter on my trusty K100D has gone south after just about 5 years. I can use it in manual mode, but unless I inadvertently set something by mistake and have forgotten what I set, it looks like I have a manual aperture camera. AF is just fine...

My K20 is still going strong....

02-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What specifically is happening or not happening? Do you mean in P mode, for instance, it won't set an appropriate exposure any more? It will just take pictures at some random aperture and shutter speed?
02-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well overall, I really do not know when it started. Scrolling back through some shots, that I just loaded, it looks about a week ago, and nothing happened to the camera. Didn't drop it, knock or bump it or anything. I was doing some work with the K20 and taking some shots with the K100 hand held and did not look at the results till just yesterday.

Overall, upon power-up and removing the lens cap, Tv tends to oscillate between 1/30 and 1/45 of a sec., so the meter is responding to light, just not at the right measurement. I can manually set Tv to 1/350 and it works just fine (M and Tv), otherwise Auto (Green), P and Av are kaupte (a very specific engineering test description term). Actually in P mode, it wants to pop the flash!

I reset the settings back to the original - no change. I just think that I have a manual camera now. I might just have to go get a light meter, or shoot a number of shots with varying shutter times till I get one that looks right...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
02-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Try this...

It MIGHT just be dirty contacts between the lens and the mount on the body. I had one of my Pentax-A lenses act up, and found some visible dirt on the contact surfaces. After wiping them clean with a clean handkerchief, all worked well. Maybe you are lucky, and that is all it is. Wipe both surfaces (the contacts on the back of the lens, and the contacts on the lens mount on the body).

-Joe-

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Well overall, I really do not know when it started. Scrolling back through some shots, that I just loaded, it looks about a week ago, and nothing happened to the camera. Didn't drop it, knock or bump it or anything. I was doing some work with the K20 and taking some shots with the K100 hand held and did not look at the results till just yesterday.

Overall, upon power-up and removing the lens cap, Tv tends to oscillate between 1/30 and 1/45 of a sec., so the meter is responding to light, just not at the right measurement. I can manually set Tv to 1/350 and it works just fine (M and Tv), otherwise Auto (Green), P and Av are kaupte (a very specific engineering test description term). Actually in P mode, it wants to pop the flash!

I reset the settings back to the original - no change. I just think that I have a manual camera now. I might just have to go get a light meter, or shoot a number of shots with varying shutter times till I get one that looks right...

02-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Afternoon Joe,

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try, and the range now expands to 1/125 sec, a bit better. It is isolated to the camera body as the problem is common across what ever lens I have mounted. I took a close look and did not see any dirt or anything else.