Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-7 Firmware Update-Help

I am doing a firmware update for my K7. I followed the readme file, downloaded to my descktop and then copied only firmware, not readme file to SD card. Inserted into camera, held down menu button while turning on camera. It display fireware 1.03 I clicked on yes to update, it is showing Updating and underneith that it says PHASE 1/2 and a white box under that. The Readme file said it should only take 90 sec. to complete. It has been in the state I just mentioned for at least five to ten minutes. What did I do wrong?

02-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gilbej49 Quote
I am doing a firmware update for my K7. I followed the readme file, downloaded to my descktop and then copied only firmware, not readme file to SD card. Inserted into camera, held down menu button while turning on camera. It display fireware 1.03 I clicked on yes to update, it is showing Updating and underneith that it says PHASE 1/2 and a white box under that. The Readme file said it should only take 90 sec. to complete. It has been in the state I just mentioned for at least five to ten minutes. What did I do wrong?
I've read of this happening before but can't remember exactly where. You might also want to ask your question here. I don't want to make any suggestions that will turn your camera into an expensive brick so I cannot help you further than that.

You Did make sure your battery was charged? FWIW, I've never emptied a card, just put the BIN file in the root directory and it's worked every time. I mention that in case you are thinking that may be the problem. I must admit that for the 90 seconds, I'm holding my breath. There HAVE been times where there seemed a long delay between phase one and phase two to begin.

?
02-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Any update on this John?

Neil
02-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Do You have a grip attached? I remember someone mentioned having problrm with firmware update with grip on.

02-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes I have a grip attached. Can I remove it in the middle of this process?
02-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No update yet.
02-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Having the grip on didn't affect my updates but as long as the camera isn't running off of THAT battery (do at own risk) I don't see a problem with first, turning Off the grip and then removing it..

HERE is the thread that I was talking about earlier. In post # 5 or close to it, someone links to another thread where it's suggested that phase one is a backup only and may be safe to turn off the camera (again, at own risk)..

02-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Here is the link on dpreview forum - I believe my K-7 may have just turned into a brick: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I hope it could be helpful, or you can contact the guy that had problem. I saw another posts on people having same problem while updating with the grip, but I don't remember was it here or on dpreview, sorry.
02-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #9

well mine just got stuck on phase 1/2 about 7/8 along the length of the bar... left it for about 10minutes and then decided to take battery out... bad move, she now wont start up or anything.. DAMN IT!
02-20-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your help. FYI: The Read Me file states that if the batteries run out during a firmware update the camera will shut off and the owner will have to send it in at the owners expense. What this means is I need to plan on sending this camera in because the batteries will go dead and it will shut off. At least I have two other cameras to use.
02-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Thanks everyone for your help. FYI: The Read Me file states that if the batteries run out during a firmware update the camera will shut off and the owner will have to send it in at the owners expense. What this means is I need to plan on sending this camera in because the batteries will go dead and it will shut off. At least I have two other cameras to use.
If that's the case, and it's still in Phase 1, I would just go ahead and shut it off and hope for the best. That's just me, do what you feel necessary to do. Either way, if it shuts down on it's own, or you shut it off, do try to recover before sending it in..

Good luck..
02-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #12

so has battery run out yet? i assume same result as me pulling battery out.. that being its now a expensive paperweight
02-21-2010, 01:27 AM   #13

odd ... had no problem at all - grip on , batteries selection on auto (so it could be either camerz or grip) , etc = all well !
02-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I am seriously thinking about buying a K-7 in March. Is firmware a problem with Pentax K-7, or are these isolated incidents.

I hope your difficulties are speedily and satisfactorily resolved.

All the best.

Ned
02-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I seem to remember a quirk when I updated my K20.

IIRC, the flashing "updating" carried on but it came up complete as well. In the end I bit the bullet and turned the camera off and back on and all was well.