Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
RAW Conversions for K10D

I started shooting RAW as soon as I got my DS2 about a year ago and have been using the free download of RSE for conversions to JPEG or TIFF.

My K10D will arrive on Monday and obviously I'm going to have to use the Pentax software until others support the new camera.

I've been practicing on an older version of Photolab that came with my DS2 and find it pretty clumsy. Perhaps the new version will be better, but in case it's not: what would you recommend I use once other conversion software supports the K10D?

BTW, I use PSP X for tweaking converted files.

Thanks,

Jerry
(Sailor on PentaxForums; JerryWhite on dpreview)

11-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I started shooting RAW as soon as I got my DS2 about a year ago and have been using the free download of RSE for conversions to JPEG or TIFF.

My K10D will arrive on Monday and obviously I'm going to have to use the Pentax software until others support the new camera.

I've been practicing on an older version of Photolab that came with my DS2 and find it pretty clumsy. Perhaps the new version will be better, but in case it's not: what would you recommend I use once other conversion software supports the K10D?

BTW, I use PSP X for tweaking converted files.

Thanks,

Jerry
(Sailor on PentaxForums; JerryWhite on dpreview)
Photoshop CS2 support all pentax digital SLR's except k10 (which will be soon)
here is a list of all cameras that it has raw support for:
Adobe Photoshop - Digital camera raw file support
If you can't afford the full photoshop cs2, then photoshop elements 4 and 5 also supports .raw but I am not sure if the raw editing controls are as robust as CS2.
you can use both of them for your one stop shopping.... capture, edit, and convert from raw to .jpg or tiff etc.
another feature that is great with photoshop elements 4/5 is you can set it up to instantly detect when you have your memory card in the reader, and will load it up into it's organizer, which is very easy to use. trust me, if my girlfriend can figure it out, anyone can
we use photoshop elements 4 just for the organizer, and use photoshop cs2 for the second to none editing capabilities

cheers

randy

Last edited by slip; 11-25-2006 at 04:13 PM.
11-25-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Photoshop CS2 support all pentax digital SLR's except k10 (which will be soon)
here is a list of all cameras that it has raw support for:
Adobe Photoshop - Digital camera raw file support
If you can't afford the full photoshop cs2, then photoshop elements 4 and 5 also supports .raw but I am not sure if the raw editing controls are as robust as CS2.
you can use both of them for your one stop shopping.... capture, edit, and convert from raw to .jpg or tiff etc.
another feature that is great with photoshop elements 4/5 is you can set it up to instantly detect when you have your memory card in the reader, and will load it up into it's organizer, which is very easy to use. trust me, if my girlfriend can figure it out, anyone can
we use photoshop elements 4 just for the organizer, and use photoshop cs2 for the second to none editing capabilities

cheers

randy
Thanks, Randy. I'll try Elements 5 when it supports the K10D. I can afford CS2, but I fear it's beyond my meager talents.

Jerry
11-25-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can shoot in DNG if PSP supports it.

11-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks, Randy. I'll try Elements 5 when it supports the K10D. I can afford CS2, but I fear it's beyond my meager talents.

Jerry
you are welcome, jerry

as far as the photoshop thing goes.....

my wife could not even cut and paste let alone edit photos.
now she can make some really great digital scrapbook layouts like you would not believe.

trust me, if she can go from where she started to making things like this:

this is from someone who couldn't even cut and paste!

there is lots of photoshop helps out there, and I am more then willing to help you or anyone else on this forum with photoshop.

cheers

randy
11-25-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

... as far as the photoshop thing goes.....

my wife could not even cut and paste let alone edit photos.
now she can make some really great digital scrapbook layouts like you would not believe.

<great montage deleted>
this is from someone who couldn't even cut and paste!

there is lots of photoshop helps out there, and I am more then willing to help you or anyone else on this forum with photoshop.

cheers

randy
Hi Randy. Not sure how your PS skills are , but hope you can volunteer the Mrs. when I need a hand. That's a great composite she's put together.

-Mark (overusing the smiles here I'm afraid. )

Last edited by SWEngineer; 11-25-2006 at 08:15 PM.
11-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I forgot DNG!

QuoteOriginally posted by roscot Quote
You can shoot in DNG if PSP supports it.
Thanks, I'll give it a try when the camera arrives.

Jerry
11-25-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Silkypics should have an update soon for k10 pef's. Seems to handle the k10 DNG's ok right now. Actually seems to treat them kinder than the other software's...

11-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
Inactive Account

using dng

I have been using Silkypix and lightroom with the DNG format out of the K10d. Sildkypix seems to produce a more natural look but lightroom is certainly very good. I tried the software that came with the Pentax and even though it uses a Silkypix engine, I still found Silkypix to more natural.

el
11-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While I'm still waiting for k10D to arrive, anyone can offer a link where I can download DNG file so I can try it with Lightroom?

Regards,
D
11-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
While I'm still waiting for k10D to arrive, anyone can offer a link where I can download DNG file so I can try it with Lightroom?

Regards,
D
If no one answers you by monday (get off of work then) I have a file that I downloaded which was on a nikon site.
It is edible with cs2, so I am sure it will work in lightroom

BTW, you can edit .jpg and tiff files the same way as raw files in lightroom, if it is lightroom you want to try out

cheers
11-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lightroom??

If no one answers you by monday (get off of work then) I have a file that I downloaded which was on a nikon site.
It is edible with cs2, so I am sure it will work in lightroom

BTW, you can edit .jpg and tiff files the same way as raw files in lightroom, if it is lightroom you want to try out

cheers
Lightroom is a new one on me. I'll search it on the web, but comments about it would be welcome.

I note on a downloaded copy of Photolab 3, Silkypix is mentioned on the cover - presumably the Pentax software utilizes Silkypix??

Thanks. I liked RSE the first time I tried it and have used it ever since. I don't know much about the others. It's tough for a semi-geezer like me to change, but I can do it if I try.

Jerry
11-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks Slipchuck,

I actually found one, just wanted to compare the workflow/gui of ACR and Lightroom.

Jerry,

Preview of the software here:

Adobe Labs - Lightroom Beta Videos

Actual software download here:

Adobe Labs - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

Hope this helps...

Regards,
D
11-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I sent you a PM regarding DNG's

guess you found one already though..
11-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
I sent you a PM regarding DNG's

guess you found one already though..

Thank you Jon,

I'll take you up on it (replied). I guess I need to revisit my user cp settings, no pop for the new message...

Regards,
D