Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #1

K-x live movies with ustream

Is there a way to run the camera with your computer to do a live stream via ustream?

Running the latest Mac OS on a Penryn 2.4 Macbook Pro. Not sure it's possible.

Last edited by smartyjones; 02-21-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: ustream, k-x, live camera
02-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smartyjones Quote
Is there a way to run the camera with your computer to do a live stream via ustream?
The K-x can output composite video so that you can view recorded images and movies on a monitor such as a TV screen, or plug it's output into a computer, and from there > ustream or whatever. You can use this to play back pre-recorded videos or images, or stream LiveView output.

The K-x manual, p-221 shows you how. You need to use the Pentax cable I-AVC7 (or similar - eg the single RCA plug from the K200D also works), which plugs into the camera at one end and has a pair of composite RCA video plugs at the other end.
02-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. I'm actually looking just to take the live feed and carry it over to the ustream.
I have one of the cables that goes from the camera to the USB on my macbook pro. But it allows you to copy the data, pictures, video.

I'm looking to capture the live shot and have it transmit to ustream for broadcast. So far I can't get the ustream to recognize the camera, either for audio or video.

The popup box asks allow video and audio but then it doesn't see it.
02-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by smartyjones Quote
Thanks for your reply. I'm actually looking just to take the live feed and carry it over to the ustream.
I have one of the cables that goes from the camera to the USB on my macbook pro. But it allows you to copy the data, pictures, video.

I'm looking to capture the live shot and have it transmit to ustream for broadcast. So far I can't get the ustream to recognize the camera, either for audio or video.

The popup box asks allow video and audio but then it doesn't see it.
You are doing it wrong.

The standard mini-USB (equivalent) to USB cable that comes with the K-x only allows you to basically copy files from camera to computer.

It does not let you plug the K-x into your computer and let the K-x work in a similar fashion to a web cam. I wish it did, but it doesn't.

To get usable video output out of the K-x into your Mac or computer from the Liveview of the K-x, you need:

(1) a cable like the Pentax I-AVC7 composite video cable (or similar); and
(2) a video card or some other video input source into your computer that takes a composite video feed.

You would then
(1) plug the mini-USB end of the Pentax I-AVC7 cable into the K-x,
(2) plug the two RCA composite video plugs at the other end of the Pentax I-AVC7 cable into your video input device, and
(3) the video input device would then feed the K-x video signal into your computer, and then
(4) the signal would be fed to ustream or whatever.

Some computer video cards have composite video or S-VHS plugs on them already, other computers may need an external video device (eg a USB stick video encoder/ TV card) to plug the K-x into.

02-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
hey thanks!

Okay, now I see and understand what's needed much better. Thanks for the detailed explanation on what's required with the interface and card. Not sure what's the best standards on the Mac side these days but that should be easy to explore some options.

I thought maybe via software and the direct input from the camera to usb was theoretically possible.