Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #1

Hand me down treasure

Greetings everyone,

I'll apologize now.. new to the forums.. new to Pentax (Have been using a Digital Rebel XT).

Last week, my Grandparents moved out of their home after 35 years. While moving out, my grandfather asked me if I would like his SLR gear, so.. I naturally said "Sure!"

He handed me a bag containing:
Pentax ME Body
Pentax ME Super Body (Which is what I've been shooting with since it was given to me)
Pentax 50mm f/1.7
Vivitar 28mm f/2.5
Vivitar 70-210mm f/3.5
Sigma 28-80 f/ 3.5-4.5
Vivitar Auto 252 Speedlight.

It's like striking gold for me! My question is I'm looking for a digital body to utilize these lenses as well as future purchases. (The Canon is what my wife uses to take pictures of our daughter, and the Pentax is mine for traveling which is what I do for a living).

The D100 and the D10 are the two bodies I'm looking into.
How long do the AA's last on the D100?
And lastly, how difficult are the cameras using the older lenses (which I currently have). I've red a bit on the forums on this topic and thank you all for the information.

An excited noobie,
Scott

07-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Scott,
Thats the beauty of the Pentax 'K' mount system, it hasn't changed in a long time and its backwards compatibility is priceless.
Either the K100 or the K10D use the 'K' mount system, so either will take the lenses. I have the Ds and use Eneloop re-chargeable batteries, if you search around the forum you will find some recent threads on battery life.

....however...a word of warning for you.......do not allow yourself to be talked out of any of your treasured booty by members of this forum, some of them have been known to kill for less.......and do not give out your phone number to any of 'em (of course its quite safe with me...way over here.:ugh: )
Cheers, & welcome to the forum.
Grant
07-03-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Using M lenses (I would guess since the cameras are an ME and an ME Super) aren't that hard to use. Focus will be somewhat different because you don't have a split screen on either the K100 or K10 (though you can get third party split screens for the K10). Otherwise, the basic operation consists of using the M mode on the camera, setting the aperture on the lens and pushing a button to temporarily stop down the lens so the camera can meter, focus and shoot. The only thing different between the ME and the digital camera is pushing a button.

I bought a Sanyo recharger and batteries at Costco and have had good results with them. I also had another set of batteries that I bought at Best Buy (don't remember who's they were) and they wouldn't hold a charge very well at all. The Eneloops are supposed to be better.
07-04-2007, 01:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses so quickly. It's actually the "K" bayonet mount all of the gear. I believe this simplifies things (ie. no adapters?)

About how many shots can one get with the rechargeable batteries? I currently get 600-800 with my Canon.. is it comparable?

07-04-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

People are reporting between 400 and 600 shots with the Enloops between charges. Regular NiMH recharables vary wildly, depending on the batteries, the charger and how they are used.

On my old DS, I would get about 1000-1200 from Eveready E2 Lithium disposables. If that was still my primary body, I would switch to the Enloops. Rayovac has some Hybrids that work the same as the Enloops.

By the way, Katz Eye does make a Split Image Focus screen for the K100 as well as the K10.

Welcome to the world of Pentax.

Last edited by roscot; 07-04-2007 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Katz Eye info
07-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I've had the K110D for about 2 weeks now. I have a manual lens (70-140mm Zoom) from my K1000. I also have the 18-55mm kit lens.

The biggest issue I have is remembering all the things I have to change when switching from the automatic lens to the manual one.

Turn the dial from Auto to manual
Move the switch at the front of the camera from AF to MF
Go into the custom menu and change Use Aperture Ring to Permitted

Now, where is that bird I was trying to get a picture of???

Sam
07-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samb4 Quote
I've had the K110D for about 2 weeks now. I have a manual lens (70-140mm Zoom) from my K1000. I also have the 18-55mm kit lens.

The biggest issue I have is remembering all the things I have to change when switching from the automatic lens to the manual one.

Turn the dial from Auto to manual
Move the switch at the front of the camera from AF to MF
Go into the custom menu and change Use Aperture Ring to Permitted

Now, where is that bird I was trying to get a picture of???

Sam
Which reminds me to ask the original poster:
How many of those were A-series or later lenses, how many were straight M or K series lenses. (They'll be labeled Pentax-M, Pentax-K, Pentax-A, etc. All are K-mount but differ in features.)

M and K lenses (manual focus manual aperture) work with the K100 and K10 but are a bit of a pain to use since they require stop-down metering. (hit the green button when in manual exposure mode to automatically set appropriate shutter speed). A series and later are much easier. To tell the difference, look on your aperture ring for an "A" setting. If that's present it'll be much easier.

As to the person I quoted:
Agree on turning the dial from auto to manual to use the "hypermanual" (green button) mode, it's a necessity if you don't have an A-series or later lense
Use Aperture Ring to Permitted - Set this once and forget it, there's no need to ever change it back.
Switching from AF to MF - not strictly necessary. If you leave it in AF, you can get "pseudo-AF" where you can hold down the shutter and twist the focus ring - the shutter will trip as soon as the camera sees that you are in focus.

(Admittedly, some of these might be slightly different on your K110 compared to my K10.)
07-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
I'll have to look (currently at work) They are all full manual focus and aperture. (didn't notice an "A" on the ring)

Big thanks again for the info!

Scott

07-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh, and DO NOT attach that Vivitar directly to any modern digital camera. Old flashes had very high trigger voltages which will destroy modern cameras. Either get a newer flash that has a "digital safe" trigger voltage, or get an adapter that protects the camera and presents it with a more reasonable trigger voltage, such as the Wein Safe-Sync - Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe (SSHSHS)
07-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanwas Quote
Thanks for the responses so quickly. It's actually the "K" bayonet mount all of the gear. I believe this simplifies things (ie. no adapters?)

About how many shots can one get with the rechargeable batteries? I currently get 600-800 with my Canon.. is it comparable?
Hey vanwas!

I'm using Duracell 2650's with my K100D. Getting about 650 shots on average shooting a mix of 20% flash and 80% non-flash, with a sprinkle of some long (20 second) exposures with SR on almost all the time. The camera, at times, hasn't even indicated a low (strike that! 50%) battery warning at that point and I've got my camera set to auto shutoff at 30 seconds.

I've owned my camera since December. I've past 10000 shots back in May and I should be hitting the 12000 marker later this month if not this weekend. It's a great camera!

BTW - welcome to the forums!

PS - that was some gift you got there. That Vivitar 70-210/3.5 I think might be a Series 1 - DO NOT LOSE THAT LENS!! Same goes for the SMC-M 50/1.7! (one of my favorites)

Last edited by Alvin; 07-04-2007 at 09:34 PM.
07-05-2007, 02:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just an addendum to an earlier post:

Third-party split-prism screens are also available for the K100D, although Pentax would have you to believe that the screen can't be changed. Takes all of about two minutes to swap one out once you know how.
07-05-2007, 03:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry for sort of hijacking your thread vanwas but I guess it benefits you as well.

Does the k100d have a green button cos you guys are confusing me . I just got a super takumar f/1.4 50mm and exposure is a nightmare. Also I left the af/mf switch to af yet when I press the shutter the camera takes a photo whether focus is locked or not.

I also ordered a split screen from ebay from China for ~$30 delivered to Albania (south europe). Should be here in about 2 weeks. Will let you know how it works with manual and af lens.
07-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
As to the person I quoted:
Agree on turning the dial from auto to manual to use the "hypermanual" (green button) mode, it's a necessity if you don't have an A-series or later lense
Use Aperture Ring to Permitted - Set this once and forget it, there's no need to ever change it back.
Switching from AF to MF - not strictly necessary. If you leave it in AF, you can get "pseudo-AF" where you can hold down the shutter and twist the focus ring - the shutter will trip as soon as the camera sees that you are in focus.

(Admittedly, some of these might be slightly different on your K110 compared to my K10.)
Thank you for this information. I will leave Aperture set on Permitted.

As to the AF/MF switch ... I should be able to take a fuzzy out of focus picture if I want to.
07-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #14

Original Poster
Deni: No prob and thanks,

Alvin: That 70-210 is a great lens (aluminum and glass). You are correct, it is a series 1. I fly airplanes for a living and that's the lens I've been using to take pictures on the road. This wait for developing is killing me. As for the 50, the lense we use on our Canon is a 50mm f/1.8.. the 1.7 could easily take over with how fast one can focus.

Entropy: I had no intention whatsoever of using that speedlight on a digital body. I was amazed that it worked with the 125x setting on the ME Super body! Everything works wonderfly for being 22+ years old.

Thanks again to everyone for the information. I'm thinking that the k100d wouldn't be to bad for now, and I'll look into the k10D a year from now or so.

-Scott
07-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Oh, and DO NOT attach that Vivitar directly to any modern digital camera. Old flashes had very high trigger voltages which will destroy modern cameras. Either get a newer flash that has a "digital safe" trigger voltage, or get an adapter that protects the camera and presents it with a more reasonable trigger voltage, such as the Wein Safe-Sync - Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe (SSHSHS)
Believe what this says! Do NOT use that old flash on a digital (or newer film) SLR. You will destroy the flash circuit. You can use that Wein adapter, but honestly, you can get a new flash that does what your old one does for about the same price.

Here's a chart of older flashes and their trigger voltages: Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Many people have ruined their brand new cameras by not paying attention to this. Don't you be another one.

(I think this was why we had so many Canon and Nikon cross-over shooters bad-mouth the K10D in the beginning. They liked the camera and had started out with Pentax gear years ago, but when they dug their old flash out of the attic and put it on their new camera... Well, their next posts were about the shoddy Pentax quality.)