Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

K-x AF/AE-L button operation in Manual focus mode

Hi everyone,

Just got my new K-x body, played with it for 1-2 days and it's wonderful. However, I've run into an mispleasing issue with my FA31. When MF is on, the focusing ring of FA31 is sooo sweet!.. And when you turn on AF, you have to "fight" with the in-body focusing motor everytime you need to correct the focusing.

However, there is a AF/AE-L button which can be assigned custom function #2: disable shutter button focus, focus only by pressing AF button. I thought, oh yeah, I found it! But it just doesn't work in MF mode. What made Pentax engineers not to do it also for MF: switch to AF programmatically, focus, switch back to MF in milliseconds? Ah, HOW convenient it would be!.. Dream of adding it to 1.02 firmware.

How do you fight this issue?

02-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hold the lens release button (which de-couples the AF motor with the lens) with my right hand and focus

All DA lenses have quick-shift focus which negates the need for this. Fighting the focus motor is bad.
02-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
hold the lens release button (which de-couples the AF motor with the lens) with my right hand and focus
Ah, thanks for the tip, Eruditass. It's not convenient, but it works. :)
02-22-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Eruditass is correct, do NOT try to manually focus with a FA lens when in AF mode. Only the DA lenses have the "quick shift" clutch built into the lens. No firmware can change this.

Use the 31mm in manual focus mode.

02-22-2010, 05:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes, pschlute, I understand, just think firmware engineers can electronically enable / disable AF for a couple of milliseconds needed to AF.
02-22-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The focus motor connection is a mechanical one, as far as I know there is no way to withdraw the activator using electronic means. So a firmware update is not possible for this issue.

As previously said just press the lens release button to MF if you don't wish to switch to MF full time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Karellen Quote
Yes, pschlute, I understand, just think firmware engineers can electronically enable / disable AF for a couple of milliseconds needed to AF.
02-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
Telfish, you mean AF/MF switch operates some mechanical clutch inside the body? Don't think so.
02-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Telfish, you mean AF/MF switch operates some mechanical clutch inside the body? Don't think so.
I'm pretty sure he's right - after all, the AF connection between the body and lens is a screw - and it raises at the same time as you pull the switch on the side of the camera (I am not sure, but try looking at the lens mount as you're moving the AF/MF clutch - it sure looks like you're directly moving the screw in/out).
It's also spring-loaded - so it retracts when you're mounting a lens, but I don't think a camera can actually control the back-forth movement of it...

02-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #9

Original Poster
Wow, I checked it and it's really mechanical. Well then, holding lens release button seems ok for me. Thanks everyone for answers!