Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #1

K-x Av with auto-ISO: slow shutter speed issue

Hello everyone,

It's a great feature of K-x to have auto-ISO. I usually operate whole day in the range of auto 200-6400, and it seems ok. A few 3200 shots, couple of 1600 or 800, and most of 400 and lower. Also if you set custom setting to manage ISO by EV steps, you get all these ISOs like 400, 500, etc.

However, when shooting at night, even with aperture set to f/1.8 K-x sometimes choose low ISO like 200 or 400. Seems that Pentax engineers set the slowest shutter speed value in Av mode to 1/60 sec. It's ok for static pics, but real issue is shooting moving people at night. I'm ok with ISO 3200 or 6400 (especially with K-x great sensor) in these conditions, but the camera doesn't allow to set lower margin of ISO, which is always 200, and this 1/60 shutter speed value is also unconfigurable. I'd like to tune it to, say, 1/200, but it isn't possible (now).

Should I write a firmware proposal? Or am I missing something?

PS: K-x is amazing camera!

02-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Does K-x have a TAv mode like k20d? Or another thing you could do would be setting P mode priorty on shutter speed and use P mode...though I'm not even sure if K-x has this opition at all.
02-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
Nope, TAv is K-7's feature. That's why I'm whining. P mode is also ISO/auto-ISO only.
02-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by enderkasim Quote
Does K-x have a TAv mode like k20d? Or another thing you could do would be setting P mode priorty on shutter speed and use P mode...though I'm not even sure if K-x has this opition at all.
One problem with this solution is that P mode is going to suggest the largest aperture available. This is often not desirable.

If you use P mode controlling aperture you can get pretty good results letting the camera choose the shutter speed. This can be tricky because the camera doesn't always know what it's metering, and the results can be unpredictable, regardless whether you are in spot or area metering mode.

Bracketing can help in these situations.

02-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah, I just love how photos look on f/1.8 on FA31. Of course I use higher apertures for landscapes etc., but f/1.8 is my "most working" f-stop for now. Maybe I should try "3-step-shooting": center & focus by AF button, center EV spot & meter exposure, recompose and shoot. Tricky. Will try.

Ah, that reminds me of my third most desired frimware feature: shoot all three bracketing shots at one click. With 4.7 fps on K-x it should be possible.
02-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Hi Karellen,

I don't own a Kx, but I would think that Tv mode with Auto ISO would give you the results you want. The aperture would most likely go to the widest in a dark setting, and in Auto ISO, the sensitivity would change to give you a proper exposure. Make sure that the upper limit of Auto ISO is set to the value that you want. If the camera indicates the exposure would be out of range, then you'd need to lower the shutter speed to get within range.

Scott
02-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I don't own a Kx, but I would think that Tv mode with Auto ISO would give you the results you want.
Or try the Moving Object mode in Picture Mode?