Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x - looking for remote control

Found this on eBay:

IR Remote Control for Pentax K10D K100D K110D K200D F - eBay (item 360161244405 end time Mar-05-10 06:35:55 PST)

States is 100% compatible with Pentax F infrared remote controls. If not maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. Found the thread (in the forum) on how to rig a programmable remote shutter release for the K-x. So I'm in search of a remote and a programmer.

Thanks,

Patsy

02-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went back about ten pages here today and found this:

Timelapse Photography using the Pclix LT and the digital camera you already own.

Also, if you do a search for that on the forums, it should bring you to the actual thread.

edit:

I typed www.pclix (dot) com, and that title appeared, which I didn't type. So just search pclix to find the original thread.
02-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by patsyd Quote
Found this on eBay:

States is 100% compatible with Pentax F infrared remote controls. If not maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. Found the thread (in the forum) on how to rig a programmable remote shutter release for the K-x. So I'm in search of a remote and a programmer.

Thanks,

Patsy
Having been frustrated by the Remote F (too finicky), I've chosen to go the wired route. I don't think it makes much difference which camera.

Something like this is what I use. Mine has a 15 foot cable, I'm simply pointing out the type.

If you want a programmable one, No experience with it but it looks like this one will do the trick..

02-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Having been frustrated by the Remote F (too finicky), I've chosen to go the wired route. I don't think it makes much difference which camera.

Something like this is what I use. Mine has a 15 foot cable, I'm simply pointing out the type.

If you want a programmable one, No experience with it but it looks like this one will do the trick..

K-x doesn't have a wired remote plug IIRC, thus the IR remote is the only choice that I'm aware of.

02-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #5

If you have experience in radio amateur, you can use self-made universal IR control(Pentax suport too).
02-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Or try this: creating a programmable remote shutter release for Pentax Kx scanar

With a bit of ingenuity, a soldering iron and some trial and error you can make your own version.
02-23-2010, 05:13 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patsyd Quote
Found this on eBay:

IR Remote Control for Pentax K10D K100D K110D K200D F - eBay (item 360161244405 end time Mar-05-10 06:35:55 PST)

Thanks,

Patsy
I've ordered one and will let you all know if it works ok. I will probably try adding a jack to the IR remote so the programmer can be used as outlined in ambienthousewife's link. If so,I'll document it.
02-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Newarts,

You are doing exactly what I had in mind -- using the information ambienthousewife gave (complete with how the end result should look). Will anxiously await your experience and thoughts (not to mention documentation). I want the IR Remote Control anyway so I will also order one. Will hold off on the programmer (and jack) until I hear from you with steps and equipment needed.

Thanks to all........ I am so new and appreciate you not making me feel as such.

Patsy

02-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FattyMcJ Quote
K-x doesn't have a wired remote plug IIRC, thus the IR remote is the only choice that I'm aware of.
The eBay advertisement does state this timer remote will work with the K-x -- I sent a question to the seller (in Hong Kong) to see if it has been tested. Of course, at this price he could say anything in hopes you wouldn't bother to return it.

Will wait to see what he says along with looking to Newarts progress. Something will work -- I'm sure.

Patsy

Received email from the supplied concerning this timer remote. He states it does indeed work with the K-x and sent me a .jpg (of what I assume is the plug). Thoughts from anyone before I order.....................

Last edited by patsyd; 02-24-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: email from Hong Kong supplier:
02-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Forum Member

Hmm, post up the pic of the plug. I'm curious. I ordered the F remote from Adorama but its on backorder, so if the K-x can indeed use a wired shutter release that would open up a lot of options.

-Jason
02-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Hmm, post up the pic of the plug. I'm curious. I ordered the F remote from Adorama but its on backorder, so if the K-x can indeed use a wired shutter release that would open up a lot of options.

-Jason
Doesn't look like it can. Rather surprising to me. How do you use B shooting (shutter held open) without a wired unit? Surely no one wants to stand there and hold the shutter button for extended periods of time. I know the Remote F doesn't lock and as I stated earlier, it's a bit finicky, with a very narrow line of sight range. At least it is on my cameras.

02-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The K-x will not accept a plug -- that was my concern. It is only IR.

Patsy
02-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Doesn't look like it can. Rather surprising to me. How do you use B shooting (shutter held open) without a wired unit? Surely no one wants to stand there and hold the shutter button for extended periods of time. I know the Remote F doesn't lock and as I stated earlier, it's a bit finicky, with a very narrow line of sight range. At least it is on my cameras.

The way I implement Bulb shootin on the K-x is to use the setting in the camera menu that opens the shutter on the first press of the button and closes the shutter on the second press of the button. Hope this helps

Eric
02-25-2010, 03:55 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Hi guys, bulb mode on the Kx could really do with an improvement. The timer remote I wired to the infrared one just shorts out the ir remote button contacts to provide the pulse to fire the shutter. As Eric said, you can set the camera to open the shutter with one shutter press and close with a second. Same deal with the intrared remode, one press to open, wait then one press to close. You have to be a bit creative with the way you program the timer remote and this gets a bit complicated to explain. Normally, the wired remote holds the shutter open when it is closed contact. This is not the case with IR remotes. The settings on the timer remote are like this:

Delay: eg 3 seconds
Exposure time: 15 seconds
Interval: 15 seconds
Number of shots: 107

When activated on a camera you can plug the timer in (eg K100, K7 but *not* Kx), this will wait 3 seconds, then start taking 15 second exposures, with a 15 second gap for 107 shots.

If you wire it to the infrared and use a Kx this is what happens. It will wait three seconds then open the shutter. The next pulse on will occur 30 seconds later and the shutter will close. The next on pulse will be 30 seconds later and the shutter will open again. Both the exposure time and the delay time when driving the ir remote will both be equal to the 'exposure time' plus the 'interval time', but then that should account for the long dfs anyway. The other thing to consider is that the camera will not 'wake' with an ir pulse, so you need to set the auto off time long enough so that the camera does not go to sleep between your exposures, so plenty of batteries.

Even though I made this frankenstein device, can you see why I have been sticking to a purely mechanical solution an stacks of 30 second exposures or just the plain IR remote for longer exposures? I love the new Kx, but if Pentax brought out a brother with a proper DC socket and a wired remote socket I think I would switch.
diy mechanical shutter release for pentax kx (or any camera) scanar
02-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ambienthousewife Quote
Even though I made this frankenstein device, can you see why I have been sticking to a purely mechanical solution an stacks of 30 second exposures or just the plain IR remote for longer exposures? I love the new Kx, but if Pentax brought out a brother with a proper DC socket and a wired remote socket I think I would switch.
diy mechanical shutter release for pentax kx (or any camera) scanar
I liked your article (with good instructions) on rigging up a timed programmed shutter release. Have ordered the Pentax IR remote control (eBay) and it will take a week or two as it's coming from Hong Kong. Will get a 2.5mm socket from Radio Shack and now need to order the Timer Remote Controller. Can you look at this one and tell me if it will fit: Timer Remote Control Canon 500D 450D 1000D as RS-60E3 - eBay (item 270535745035 end time Mar-24-10 03:39:34 PDT)

If I am correct in reading your instructions, these 3 items will built something allowing me the opportunity to have my K-x automatically shoot this scenario (after pressing the control button on the IR once):

1 frame lasting 10 seconds at intervals of 30 seconds for a total of 45 minutes (or about 85 shots total).

Thanks,

Patsy