Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Have you noticed blurred image and/or double image with your K-x
Yes 7435.07%
No 13764.93%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bennettonline Quote
I have a K-x for 3 months. I totally agree that the K-x got some blurry images at low shutter speeds after I do a vertical 90 CW shot with the same shutter speed.

All I did was set the camera to 1/60 take some perfectly good pictures in normal horzontal position (I call this Step A) - then take one in vertical 90 CW position (Call this Step B). Then THINGS START SCREWING UP!

I will have a blurry images even when I place the camera on a stable surface in the normal position. (Step C)

The ONLY WAY to "fix" this is to turn the drive mode into continuous mode either low or hi speed (Step D). The first picture always blurry, but the seocnd picture and on in the continuous mode is clear (just like Photo A mentioned above). This is a DETERMINISTIC procedure to get to the blurry / mirror slap problem for me, which means when I follow the steps through, I always get the blurry results in Step C. I hope Pentax can fix this. N.B. I have the firmwave update already and I am using Lithium batteries for this test.

After a while, the mirror slap seems to be going away after I repeat step D enough and switch on a off the camera enough. If you are interested, please try as I do, and let me know. If you don't see the same thing, I have a defective k-x. Thanks!
Hmm. I just tried this, following your instructions, and all the photos were sharp.

Are you re-focusing between shots?

04-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #62

i too have done exactly what bennetonline wrote and no blur or double image (done 2 times - kit lens @ 55mm).
I have to say that i've see just once a double image picture in more than 2k actuations, and i'm quite confident mine isn't affected.
Tested also SR on stable surface @ 1/100 and no problem, SR off and long exposure (in the 30' range) and the pic come out sharp as a knife.
I'm sorry for the user that report this as a "norm" in their camera, as to me it's seem they do have a faulty camera.
07-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to bump the old thread but today I just remembered about this widely spread issue and tested it on my camera.

I took a bunch of shots in Tv mode at various shutter speed, both horizontal and vertical with the 35mm Ltd lens and with SR on. While hand holding the camera, the image is consistently blurry at 1/100 shutter speed at vertical position.

I did the same set of photos with a tripod and there is no problem with blurry image at all. I am a little bit sad with this finding. Just wondering if anyone's been able to do anything about it besides avoiding the setting.
07-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Sorry to bump the old thread but today I just remembered about this widely spread issue and tested it on my camera.

I took a bunch of shots in Tv mode at various shutter speed, both horizontal and vertical with the 35mm Ltd lens and with SR on. While hand holding the camera, the image is consistently blurry at 1/100 shutter speed at vertical position.

I did the same set of photos with a tripod and there is no problem with blurry image at all. I am a little bit sad with this finding. Just wondering if anyone's been able to do anything about it besides avoiding the setting.
Try it with SR OFF. Fixes the issue for me.

07-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #65

nizn cells?

It seems like PeterSrsens problem started when he stopped using lithium batterys,
nimh(1.2) has a lower voltage that lithium primary cells(~1.5V), but nizn has voltage of 1.7 volts so that might help.
07-11-2010, 03:30 AM   #66

Gryphen, I think you might be right! I actually came to the same conclusion! I am thinking the battery problem might be a bigger issue that I/we thought. According to my experience and also if I compare quality of photos (in terms of SR effectivity) before with Energizer Lithiums and with Eneloops, I think there is a difference. So I think the voltage affects SR functioning (I'm only guessing).

Well, after my stay in Italy with K-x, the camera is finally on its way to Photopia UK for a repair... Will give an update as soon I have any. But still...

Back to your post - I would not really risk using Ni-Zn batteries. I heard that K-x with Ni-Zn is more responsive as voltage is higher but it might be risky as it is higher voltage than the K-x has been designed for! Apparently, there is a risk of frying the electronics (especially flash) in your camera, but I cannot really confirm that as I did not want to try it myself... But you can google plenty of articles/blogs about that.

BTW, did anybody hear anything about K-5? I caught this rumour but not sure if true?
07-11-2010, 04:00 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
my k20d started to do this one day - at any speed or setting except very fast shutter speeds, it was faulty. pentax replaced most of the guts of the camera.
07-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Try it with SR OFF. Fixes the issue for me.
SR OFF/ON no difference to me. Ordered another camera from Amazon to check - same issue there, sent it back.

07-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #69
Site Supporter

remember if you're switching between different battery types, you will need to let the camera recognize the new battery type by leaving it off for at least 20 seconds after installing the new batteries.

this is not in the user manual but has been a widely circulated "procedure". (using Auto battery detect setting)

i've used NiZn's in my former k2000 and kx and have no issues, except that recently one nizn cell recently went bad

Last edited by opiedog; 07-27-2010 at 01:34 PM.
08-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #70

Update

Just a quick update as my K-x came back from repair shop yesterday.
It took 1 calendar month as apparently they had to wait for spare parts from Pentax and I will try not to include any feelings or experiences I had with Pentax and the repair facility. I have to stop swearing… Facts only.

Issues I described to them as faults to repair facility:
1. Shake reduction not very reliable - causing random blur
2. Random dust removal feature (this is turned off – not set to be activated on start up) - as result camera would randomly vibrate when taking photos
3. Battery problem - not reliable battery indicator
4. Focus “dot” selector – not reliable and “very approximate”

Photopia has replaced PCB in the K-x (not sure what exactly it is but it probably is the camera circuit board), did general clean up of the K-x (cam, mirror and sensor has been clean anyway…) and installed a latest firmware. This made me think as I have installed the latest firmware a couple months ago (I believe it is v1.01 or something like that but as far as I know there was only 1 firmware update so far..). Not sure if they just re-installed some “secret” firmware update or they just re-installed the same version.

I have loaded charged eneloops, set the initial settings again (shutter count has been reset as well – probably as a result of replaced PCB). I had about 2 hours of light last night to test the camera; I took about 100 shots at different settings which is not enough IMHO, so please do not make any conclusions yet and I will probably add more in few weeks time when I test the camera properly. But this is what I came up with last night:

Camera seems to be slightly quicker in terms of auto focusing (only my subjective feeling, have not done any scientifical measuring), buttons are firm as they were before, the body looks as new (well, my gear is always clean and taken care of anyway).

Problems solved?
  • Shake reduction – seems like it helped a bit although cannot confirm this yet as some of the photos were sharper with SR OFF, so not sure and cannot make any conclusions so far. I was especially interested in low light with longer exposure, with and without support, slower shutter speeds. I am looking forward to test it further.
  • Random dust removal feature – this did not happen again so far but as it happen only a couple of times during about 5-6 months of use I will keep an eye on it.
  • Battery problem – I am going to test another brands (GP and Uniross) as well and see what happens. With Eneloops I think the situation has improved (not sure if because some updated “secret” firmware or the replaced PCB) and I think it reads the battery +- accurately. Will see in next few weeks.
  • Focus selector - Still a bit disappointing as this is still not very reliable. Especially if I consider that my old Oly SP500UZ point&shoot is showing selected focus point in a viewfinder… I still believe the solution is out there!!! Tried about 20 shots using focus selector – focus missed in about 6-7 of them. I think this feature is useful and really tricky at the same time as I realized it does not take the “dot” as a guide but quite wider area around the actual selected dot. Can anybody confirm this please?

PS The last thing I wanted to say. Last week I started to play with an idea to invest into a proper Pentax 12-24mm lens but this experience somehow made me hesitate which is not great and does not make me happy for various reasons…

If anything new comes up I will post an update for you guys. Hope it helps…

Any feedback / your experience welcome!
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #71

Thanks for the update, I just noticed that there's similar SR blur problem. Will double check that.

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterSrsen Quote
Just a quick update as my K-x came back from repair shop yesterday.
It took 1 calendar month as apparently they had to wait for spare parts from Pentax and I will try not to include any feelings or experiences I had with Pentax and the repair facility. I have to stop swearing… Facts only.

Issues I described to them as faults to repair facility:
1. Shake reduction not very reliable - causing random blur
2. Random dust removal feature (this is turned off – not set to be activated on start up) - as result camera would randomly vibrate when taking photos
3. Battery problem - not reliable battery indicator
4. Focus “dot” selector – not reliable and “very approximate”

Photopia has replaced PCB in the K-x (not sure what exactly it is but it probably is the camera circuit board), did general clean up of the K-x (cam, mirror and sensor has been clean anyway…) and installed a latest firmware. This made me think as I have installed the latest firmware a couple months ago (I believe it is v1.01 or something like that but as far as I know there was only 1 firmware update so far..). Not sure if they just re-installed some “secret” firmware update or they just re-installed the same version.

I have loaded charged eneloops, set the initial settings again (shutter count has been reset as well – probably as a result of replaced PCB). I had about 2 hours of light last night to test the camera; I took about 100 shots at different settings which is not enough IMHO, so please do not make any conclusions yet and I will probably add more in few weeks time when I test the camera properly. But this is what I came up with last night:

Camera seems to be slightly quicker in terms of auto focusing (only my subjective feeling, have not done any scientifical measuring), buttons are firm as they were before, the body looks as new (well, my gear is always clean and taken care of anyway).

Problems solved?
  • Shake reduction – seems like it helped a bit although cannot confirm this yet as some of the photos were sharper with SR OFF, so not sure and cannot make any conclusions so far. I was especially interested in low light with longer exposure, with and without support, slower shutter speeds. I am looking forward to test it further.
  • Random dust removal feature – this did not happen again so far but as it happen only a couple of times during about 5-6 months of use I will keep an eye on it.
  • Battery problem – I am going to test another brands (GP and Uniross) as well and see what happens. With Eneloops I think the situation has improved (not sure if because some updated “secret” firmware or the replaced PCB) and I think it reads the battery +- accurately. Will see in next few weeks.
  • Focus selector - Still a bit disappointing as this is still not very reliable. Especially if I consider that my old Oly SP500UZ point&shoot is showing selected focus point in a viewfinder… I still believe the solution is out there!!! Tried about 20 shots using focus selector – focus missed in about 6-7 of them. I think this feature is useful and really tricky at the same time as I realized it does not take the “dot” as a guide but quite wider area around the actual selected dot. Can anybody confirm this please?

PS The last thing I wanted to say. Last week I started to play with an idea to invest into a proper Pentax 12-24mm lens but this experience somehow made me hesitate which is not great and does not make me happy for various reasons…

If anything new comes up I will post an update for you guys. Hope it helps…

Any feedback / your experience welcome!
10-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #72
Forum Member

Is the problem so seroius that I should think about buying or not a K-x?
10-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #73
Ananta Androscoggin

Anybody whose camera's autofocus assist lamp is able to reach out to the moon and back to their camera is hereby forbidden to take any pictures of me. I don't want to look like those corpses at the beginning of last nights "Criminal Minds" episode (Detroit "devil's night" serial killer).

And moon shots with longer and longer exposure times collect more and more of the upper atmosphere turbulence, which mucks up the images too. As the pockets of denser and lesser air chase each other around up there, they diffract the light in wobbly ways from an earthbound viewpoint (like our camera lenses).

I knew some of this even before reading those topics on Astrophotography and moon shooting. Now I understand it a little better.
10-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #74

I did following test ... will post cropped pictures soon, however please let me know if the testing process was right
1) SR on , TV mode - Shutter Speeds 1/30 to 1/200 at 55 MM - No Blurring / double images - Horizontal camera position
2) SR on , TV mode - Shutter Speeds 1/30 to 1/200 at 55 MM - No Blurring / double images - Vertical camera position

As I took the shots indoors ISO was set to 3200, so I can see slight noise at 100% crop due to high ISO, the picture I took was of a Moisturizer bottle and had a lot of text written over it, I think it is easy to spot blurring on text rather than on anything else.

I did not find any blurring or double text on pictures at 100% crop... so I think atleast my camera does not have this issue.

Please let me know your thoughts or any other tests that I need to do...

Voted - No Blur

Thanks.

Last edited by newyorker; 10-29-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Voted - No Blur
10-30-2010, 04:55 AM   #75
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
Is the problem so seroius that I should think about buying or not a K-x?
It has put me off buying one.