Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #1

How to use Tamron lens on the K-X?

I am a new owner of the K-X (also new to the DSLR world). I have a question about using 3rd party lenses on the K-X. In particular, I have a Tamron 28-300 mm AF LD Aspherical lens which I used to use on my old film SLR camera (Nikon F80). Can I use the Tamron lens on the K-X? What adapter should I use? And where can I buy one in the U.S. (online store)?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

02-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are adapters that you could use but you would be better off trying to trade the lens for a similar lens with a Pentax mount. The adapter would degrade the quality, and eliminate the autofocus.
02-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joycecylam Quote
I am a new owner of the K-X (also new to the DSLR world). I have a question about using 3rd party lenses on the K-X. In particular, I have a Tamron 28-300 mm AF LD Aspherical lens which I used to use on my old film SLR camera (Nikon F80). Can I use the Tamron lens on the K-X? What adapter should I use? And where can I buy one in the U.S. (online store)?

I don't think that the fact that it is a Tamron lens is the problem. It is the fact that the lens is designed for a Nikon camera. There is at least one adapter that purports to allow a Nikon-mount lens to be used on Pentax. However, it has an optical element, so you will lose image quality, just as with a teleconverter.

You could always sell your Nikon version and buy the same lens (or another one) in Pentax mount.
02-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If it has an aperture ring, the lens might be usable. Alot of nikon lenses just clicks on the K-x without any adapter. But you'll lose autofocus, and shake reduction have to be input everytime you zoom if you want to use its full potential, very cumbersome....

Of and you'll lose most useful EXIF data other than shutter speed and ISO...

You should check how that lens fares in the nikon dslr world. If you definitely have to use it, then you might do better in nikonland.

Oh and dont forget about the crop factor! 28mm isnt really 28mm anymore on DSLRS

02-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joycecylam Quote

They may be available everywhere but the only place I've seen such a unit is on ebay and it comes from China.

I think though, unless you still want to use it on your film camera, dump the tamron nikon mount lens and get one made for Pentax. Just my opinion of course..

Good luck..

02-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I endorse the advice of others who have answered, get Pentax mount lenses.

Jason
02-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There is also the fact that a lot of the older third-party lenses used inferior coatings to newer ones.

I had an old (early-90s) Sigma 28-200 lens that we used on a Pentax PZ-70. It was next to useless on my K10D - everything was washed out due to abysmal contrast.

As I understand it, the sensors in DSLRs are significantly more reflective than film, and so require higher quality coatings than old film cameras. High quality glass with good coatings (Pentax SMC for example) works fine, but other manufacturers with lower quality coatings had to release new "for digital" lines with improved coatings.

New Tamrons in Pentax mount can be quite good - the 18-250 and 18-270 are quite well regarded, although I went with Sigma to get HSM/OS in their 18-250.