Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
It should have!
Maybe he didn't shake it hard enuf!

02-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K-7 has something loose

as a matter of fact the K10 is as solid as a brick. No clunks ever.
02-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Plumas Quote
I can only assume that this is an upgraded version because my K10D certainly did'nt go clunk.
It's certainly possible you never noticed it - lots of people report they hadn't until someone else pointed it out to them. But unless yours was completely defective, it most definitely would have clunked had you turned it the right(wrong) way and you listened carefully enough. A Pentax DSLR that doesn't clunk is a Pentax DSLR without SR.
02-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #19

QuoteQuote:
Wow, we really need a sticky on the "Pentax Clunk."
"popping"
"kdong"
"clunk"

Nothing wrong with the camera. IMHO a sticky is a good idea, but I think we should agree on what to call it to stem a profusion of threads about these SR noises.

I thought kdong was pretty unique. Pentax Kdong!

Cheers,

SB

02-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shoebox Quote
"popping"
"kdong"
"clunk"

Nothing wrong with the camera. IMHO a sticky is a good idea, but I think we should agree on what to call it to stem a profusion of threads about these SR noises.

Cheers,

SB
I believe that name is reserved for their sex toy line
02-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shoebox Quote
"popping"
"kdong"
"clunk"

Cheers,

SB
It is most certainly a "clunk." Of all the sounds I have heard in my life, I have never heard a sound more fitting of the word "clunk" than the SR in a k10d.
02-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #22

How about the sticky subject: "Help! My camera has something loose inside!"

That's the first thing that went thru my mind when I unboxed my K-x. I still think Pentax should put something in the manual or a slip of paper in the box explaining the noise/sound/movement... or maybe they won't because you know Canikon would be all over that "Canon: our cameras don't go bump in the night."

02-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now, if you hear 2 clunks in rapid succession, you got a problem. Or 3 clunks.

Actually, anything more than 1 clunk in rapid succession and you have a problem, except 6 clunks--which means the camera is fine.

Finally, the camera is bad again from 7 clunks to 13 clunks, but from 14 clunks to infinity, you're fine again.
02-25-2010, 04:21 AM   #24
Pentaxian

But what do we call the sound the camera makes when you turn it on with the dust shake process switched on. That one you don't hear but more feel in the hand as a 'burhrhrh'.

So we have a 'clunk' and a 'burhrhrh'

Then there is the model specific noise of the mirror mechanism as a kind of double mode 'dook-cluck' noise, and then there is the 'snick' of the SD door when you turn the little lock mechanism - we have to get all these terms standardised.
02-25-2010, 05:20 AM   #25
Forum Member

schlunk

I always thought of the sound as a 'schlunk' and the start up sensor cleaning sound as an 'eeeeeehk'. But we are all different.

More to the point though, Pentax could save themselves a lot of heartache if they wrote a prominent warning about the 'schlunk' sound on a removable stick-on label on the camera.