Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 05:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someone on dpreview mentioned that their FA★ 77 no longer needs a -8 focus adjustment with the new firmware, and suggests that possibly the CA/distortion update also has some tweaks to the AF system per-lens. I'm skeptical on that one too but if true, that could be an alternate explanation: maybe it's also tweaked for the DA lenses, making your images sharper. (Could be particularly true for zooms.)

But again, if that were true, I can't imagine why it wouldn't get promoted. What's the downside? I can see plenty of upside.

02-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Someone on dpreview mentioned that their FA★ 77 no longer needs a -8 focus adjustment with the new firmware, and suggests that possibly the CA/distortion update also has some tweaks to the AF system per-lens. I'm skeptical on that one too but if true, that could be an alternate explanation: maybe it's also tweaked for the DA lenses, making your images sharper. (Could be particularly true for zooms.)
Maybe, but it all looked identical to me in the viewfinder. I have a K3 focusing screen, and ever since I installed it, I make it a habit to confirm that the camera's auto-focus agrees with the split prism focusing indicator. Especially when taking pictures in low-light, like I did in those shots.

Plus, I actually saw the improvements with my Super Takumar 50mm lens first. I don't even pay attention to focus confirmation with that lens.

But again, if that were true, I can't imagine why it wouldn't get promoted. What's the downside? I can see plenty of upside.
You're thinking in terms of European or North American companies. Pentax is a Japanese company. They've always claimed that their Shake Reduction technology was good for up to 4 stops less light. But everyone who tested that claim got a maximum of 2 stops of improvement (compared to 4-5 stops with Canon's and Nikon's in-lens IS/VR). The firmware didn't really improve SR performance, it brought it up to where Pentax always claimed it should be. The claim "Fixed Shake Reduction performance so it acts like we claimed it should" just doesn't have a very good ring to it, especially for a Japanese company that refuses to admit mistakes. We're talking about one of their core innovations here, the thing they've been using to try and set themselves above Canikon. Admitting it's been broken all this time is tantamount to losing face.

That may sound like a silly stereotype of Japanese corporations, but Pentax has always acted this way. I see this type of behaviour from ALL Japanese companies. Pretend there's no problem until you can fix it, and then act like there was nothing wrong all along.
02-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Wait a minute, YOU have a K-7! You can try all of this for yourself!
02-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #19
Forum Member

What ever they put in 1.03 I can confirm that my K-7 feels like a more reliable camera. ISO wise and SR wise it seems to be better. This is all based on 'feeling' but heck, a placebo seems to have significant and measurable impact too in medicine ;-)
After trying some 1/10 s shooting with my Sigma 50-150 @150mm it seems i get a fair amount of sharp images. RAW noise at 6400 ISO in RawTherapee is also very easily filtered.

Either I have gotten better at processing RAW images or the camera has become a bit better with the firmware update.
In all, I am very happy with the 1.03 firmware and it reassures me that the K-7 is a great camera.

Regards,
Jan Rinze.

02-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Pretend there's no problem until you can fix it, and then act like there was nothing wrong all along.
Like a certain Japanese car manufacturer???
02-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Like a certain Japanese car manufacturer???
My point exactly!
02-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well, going for another "I swear it's different from before" post, here are two things I've seen with the 1.03 I think were not there on the v1.02 :

- I have some fine, very repetitive vertical stripes on some of my 6400 iso test shots.
- In movie mode, the little triangle located next to the ISO display on the top LCD is illuminated... I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before, and pressing the ISO button displays an "Unavailable function" warning screen I don't recall... Anyway, this little triangle having no role whatsoever, what could it be? An aborted full manual movie mode???

02-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
- I have some fine, very repetitive vertical stripes on some of my 6400 iso test shots.
Again, you can always downgrade to an earlier firmware version and see if this is really the case. The links I posted earlier to old firmware downloads are still valid.

- In movie mode, the little triangle located next to the ISO display on the top LCD is illuminated... I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before, and pressing the ISO button displays an "Unavailable function" warning screen I don't recall... Anyway, this little triangle having no role whatsoever, what could it be? An aborted full manual movie mode???
Sorry, I don't see that at all on mine.
02-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Sorry, I don't see that at all on mine.
Are you talking just about the triangle, or the warning screen too?
02-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Are you talking just about the triangle, or the warning screen too?
I see the warning screen when pressing the ISO button, I always got that before. But this mysterious triangle is no-where to be seen. In movie mode, the top LCD screen has almost nothing in it except the electronic level and the battery indicator. I tried with SR turned on and off, I tried with aperture set to auto and fixed, and I checked while recording and not. There's no triangle anywhere on the top LCD or on the rear monitor. I really have no idea what you're referring to.
02-25-2010, 01:42 AM   #26

Someone on dpreview mentioned that their FA★ 77 no longer needs a -8 focus adjustment with the new firmware, ..
I noticed the same with my FA* 300mm.
02-25-2010, 02:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I'm talking about this one, numbered 10 on the DPreview top LCD diagram :

The triangle located right next to IsoAuto... This one stays on (even while there is no ISO displayed...).
02-25-2010, 02:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm talking about this one, numbered 10 on the DPreview top LCD diagram :

The triangle located right next to IsoAuto... This one stays on (even while there is no ISO displayed...).
Nope, not on mine. I never see that triangle on my top LCD screen, or at least never in movie mode.

edit: the only time I see it is when I'm selecting the ISO sensitivity in any mode other than movie mode. Otherwise, it's never lit up on my camera.
02-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #29
Forum Member

hmm i can see the triangle on my K-7 during movie mode..
This whole 'look for hidden features' has gotten to me.
Was it possible to lock exposure during recording?
I just noticed that when i record a movie, it is possible to lock and unlock the exposure at any moment during the recording.
Nice feature. did not know i could do that :-)
I only used exposure lock prior to starting the recording.
02-25-2010, 05:44 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Jan, it worked before... Nothing new here!

I didn't try with non-A manual lenses (either PK or m42), to see if they fixed the AE-L bug, though.