Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
So DFS is a bit of a wrong assumption then, what I should simply request is that noise removal be turn offable at > 30 seconds too.

^^ is that correct/better/clearer?

Appreciate that's tricky, might make for icky results, but that's a choice I'm prepared to live with!
No, definitely DFS is what we want to be able to disable. The DFS is what's doubling our exposure time for shots over 30 seconds. Your petition wording is perfectly fine.

What the DFS actually gets used for is what we're debating

02-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, I called up Pentax today about it. That person has logged it with Japan, but actually suggested I get some online people behind the request. The more interest that's shown in this, the more serious they'll take it... understandable.
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just re-read the petition text, and here are some spelling corrections that are needed:

We have a very simple request for an additional firmware option to do with Dark Frame Subtraction "DFS" on the dSLRs on which it is mandatory for exposures in Bulb mode over 30 seconds (ie your flagship model the K-7). Please could you issue, in a future firmware oupdate, an option to be able to turn this off as and when we'd like to?

The problem we face is this: we can only make half as many images with your great cameras as other brands, because at the end of a long exposure... the camera makes itself do another one (the inbuilt DFS). This has ramifications for astro-photography, night photography and long exposure photography, amongst others.

We love your cameras and we've bought into your system, but this one little thing just ruins our day!

(as far as I can tell, DFS is only enabled in Bulb mode and only when the exposure is longer than 30 seconds)
02-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Dark frame subtraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

02-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey look! The same page my quote came from!
02-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't edit, you can only add
02-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Fixed pattern noise is not hot pixels. I've had experience with noise in both CCD and CMOS sensors. It gets horrid in long exposures without extra cooling. And Pentax isn't about to install a cooler. Nor will they tell folks that the long exposure photos look like dog crap, without DFS. So they cover their ass by making it mandatory. Then they don't have to explain to the average plodder why their $1,000.00 camera photos need extra work.
02-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Fixed pattern noise is not hot pixels. I've had experience with noise in both CCD and CMOS sensors. It gets horrid in long exposures without extra cooling. And Pentax isn't about to install a cooler. Nor will they tell folks that the long exposure photos look like dog crap, without DFS. So they cover their ass by making it mandatory. Then they don't have to explain to the average plodder why their $1,000.00 camera photos need extra work.
You know what else looks like crap? ISO 6400 on a K-7 without noise reduction. THAT looks atrocious. And yet it's possible, since some photographers would rather do their own noise reduction than let the camera do it for them. Pentax allows this by offering specific options in the camera. The *ability* to disable DFS is EXACTLY THE SAME THING! Your reasoning makes no sense at all.

02-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #39
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
You know what else looks like crap? ISO 6400 on a K-7 without noise reduction. THAT looks atrocious. And yet it's possible, since some photographers would rather do their own noise reduction than let the camera do it for them. Pentax allows this by offering specific options in the camera. The *ability* to disable DFS is EXACTLY THE SAME THING! Your reasoning makes no sense at all.
GoremanX said it better than me. Just let us choose... Pentax doesn't delete the RAW if it "dislikes" the image either... plenty of crap images on any camera... but it's OUR crap
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #40
Inactive Account

It's not my reasoning. It's their probable reasoning for ultimate marketing to the world's average shooter. I bought a K200D just so I could turn all the crud off.
Long exposure, more than 30 seconds, is not the norm.
I've sat and shot 390 photos in 6.5 hours. I wouldn't attempt a third of that with a K7 while hand guiding. And I'm sure Pentax would think I was a whacked out nut.