Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #31
Inactive Account

slow continuos speed

Hi guys,

I wonder how you can get such a lot of pictures in burst mode.

I shoot in RAW, AV priority, all postprocessing switched off. Still my camera chokes after 4th picture.

Transcend 16GB class 6 card is most likely problem.

Could it be problem of camera or memory card?

I am thinking baout some 4GB very quick memory card just for sport.

Thanks

09-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sniper29a Quote
Hi guys,

I wonder how you can get such a lot of pictures in burst mode.

I shoot in RAW, AV priority, all postprocessing switched off. Still my camera chokes after 4th picture.

Transcend 16GB class 6 card is most likely problem.

Could it be problem of camera or memory card?

I am thinking baout some 4GB very quick memory card just for sport.

Thanks
1.> you need a faster and better card than the Transcend. the Sandisk C6 or C10 are great cards. careful about the fakes though.
2.> lower the MP resolution used. the lower the MP, the smaller the file size, the more photos you can take at succession, the less tendency for the buffer to fill immediately. it's more like filling a pitcher glass with a small cup of water as opposed to using a mug to fill the pitcher glass.
09-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Problem solved ) I had had set "lense correction and chroma abberation". that is what caused choking.

BTW Transcend is one of best cards around and it is extraordinary priced ;-) difference between sandisk and transcend is like 0.5MB/s. Why would I pay for expensive american products if I can pay for cheap most reliable japanese high-tech goods ;-)
09-10-2010, 04:48 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
In addition to cards going bad, it occurred to me that when traveling (which may include traveling without a computer) a stolen camera can be replaced much more easily than a few thousand photos.
So where are the few thousand photos kept to be immune from theft?

If you normally shoot 4Gb of photo and video a day, everyday, and only have a 4Gb card, you fill it up, clean it out at home, and start over again the next day writing to the same sectors on the 4Gb card. Now if you have a larger card, you go out, shoot 4Gb, clean it out, and on the next day when you start shooting, because the camera and card work together, the camera starts to write to the section that hasn't been written to the day before. You could of coarse have two 4Gb cards, but when their total cost is more than a larger card cost, is that really smart? Now does it make sense to buy so much more capacity when you only are going to file up a fraction of it? What about the likelihood of the cards just failing out of the blue? Failure statics are independent of the size of the card. They are calculated by units and the more units you have, the more likely you are going to experience a failure. So the only way you can have the same risk is to only have one card, or the same number of cards, of the 4Gb to the larger card. But when you get to one to one, a 8Gb card will last twice as long, 16Gb card will last 4X as long, 32Gb will last 8x as long, ... Knowing this, doesn't it seem smarter to buy based on the best Gb per dollar price when all other things are equal?

When I hear the eggs in one basket argument, I have to ask myself; am I so stupid that I have to fill up a large card, just because I can?

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-10-2010 at 09:07 AM.
09-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess it depends also on the card. I have found Toshiba 8GB class 10 card clearly faster than Toshiba 4GB class 6 (in K-7)
09-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Problem solved ) I had had set "lense correction and chroma abberation". that is what caused choking.

BTW Transcend is one of best cards around and it is extraordinary priced ;-) difference between sandisk and transcend is like 0.5MB/s. Why would I pay for expensive american products if I can pay for cheap most reliable japanese high-tech goods ;-)

where did you get that info regarding 0.5MB difference? unless you re talking about the new 15MB/s Transcend against the other version of the Sandisk which is 20MB/s. did you know that there are 2 versions of the Sandisk's speed? 20MB/s and 30MB/s. yes, that's right, you pay more for speed and if you think that they are almost equal, you are clearly misinformed.

this has nothing to do with Japanese versus American products but rather the product's individual performance difference and speed consistency.
09-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
where did you get that info regarding 0.5MB difference? unless you re talking about the new 15MB/s Transcend against the other version of the Sandisk which is 20MB/s. did you know that there are 2 versions of the Sandisk's speed? 20MB/s and 30MB/s. yes, that's right, you pay more for speed and if you think that they are almost equal, you are clearly misinformed.

this has nothing to do with Japanese versus American products but rather the product's individual performance difference and speed consistency.
all i know is ppl who test the cards and don't follow marketing bullshits ;-)

Interface Performance, Throughput : 13 SDHC Memory Cards Reviewed

here is one.

san disk extreme 20MB/s vs transcend class 6. difference not worthy to pay for. min. throughput is about 0.5MB/s max is 2MB/s i think. I accept minimal throughput as valid since you will rarely get sequential write at max. speed. All I know that my K-7 can finally do 13 DNGs in burst and that is all i need. Faster cards may be like 1MBs faster, but can you utlise it? SDHC is still too slow for professional use. Canon pro range still use CF cards, they have speed. If i shoot MTB downhill. you get 5fps, which is 75MBs of data every second.

09-11-2010, 05:09 AM   #38

the best card is SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC Secure Digital 32 GB Ultra II

k7 dose not work goot with SanDisk 32GB 32G Extreme SD SDHC 30 MB/s 200X Class 10

the proble with trancend card with k7 is the same like SanDisk 32GB 32G Extreme SD SDHC 30 MB/s 200X Class 10the camera may stop functioning or the pictures are lost
09-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #39
Veteran Member

all i know is ppl who test the cards and don't follow marketing bullshits ;-)

Interface Performance, Throughput : 13 SDHC Memory Cards Reviewed

here is one.

san disk extreme 20MB/s vs transcend class 6. difference not worthy to pay for. min. throughput is about 0.5MB/s max is 2MB/s i think. I accept minimal throughput as valid since you will rarely get sequential write at max. speed. All I know that my K-7 can finally do 13 DNGs in burst and that is all i need. Faster cards may be like 1MBs faster, but can you utlise it? SDHC is still too slow for professional use. Canon pro range still use CF cards, they have speed. If i shoot MTB downhill. you get 5fps, which is 75MBs of data every second.

everything is not marketing bullshit if that is something you believe in. otherwise there is no difference on CF cards being marketed as faster than SDHC cards and by your perception, it would be a BS statement as well.

point is, you are asking for some advice on how to get faster and additional RAW shots during burst, getting a Sandisk is one of the solutions for getting so and this is no fairytale. the general performance difference between a Sandisk 20MB/s and a Transcend C6 may not be that far from each other. bu you forgot to look at your reliable chart concerning the write speed evaluation. write speed is much more important than read speed during taking pictures. there are other people who actually done some tests with different kinds of cards and TOM is not the only one who knows how to. and would say a much more elaborate review and benchmarks than Tom did. tom didn't even specify which type of speed class or write speed is the Sandisk whether it's the 20MB or 30MB, but I would assume that it's the 20MB basing from the performance.

now, if you love your Transcend, I have no problem with that. but dissing out a product just because you don't like it's pricing is kinda ridiculous. people are more than happy of having such card and paying for it for it's performance. unless they are ripping people off.
09-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got back into non-P&S photography with my new K-x. So, I went looking for a F-A-S-T SD card. I've got some experience with technology and buying hardware so I knew a bit but write speed seemed the most important facet of the SD cards specs to me when thinking about the possible bottle necks in using them in a camera.

So, I went looking for data-based reviews. They are HARD to find with currently available items in the analysis but there are a few. I am surprised no one here has referenced this article as it was the best of the lot IMHO. Its from April and covers the Transcend Class 10 and the SanDisk Extreme 30mb/s Class 10 cards.

Memory Cards, Part 2: SDHC Cards From 8GB To 16GB : Class 6+ SDHC Cards Compared

#1 for Write speed by a HUGE margin is the SanDisk with #s 2-4 a dead heat for the Transcend Class 10, Lexar Pro Class 6, and Silicon Power Class 10.

The Transcends are around 1/2 the cost of the SanDisk SDHC cards so I have them in my P&S but a SanDisk in the K-x.
09-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I just got back into non-P&S photography with my new K-x. So, I went looking for a F-A-S-T SD card. I've got some experience with technology and buying hardware so I knew a bit but write speed seemed the most important facet of the SD cards specs to me when thinking about the possible bottle necks in using them in a camera.
I ordered two 16GB Silicon Power cards(10) aprox. 2 months back and have been using them over the past few weeks. I've found them to be every bit as fast as my Sandisk Extreme's and so I decided to order two more. They are an excellent value and there performance is every bit as good as cards costing as much as two times the price.

PS. with a Patriot or Transcend card, I get aprox. 14 RAW, but with these latest(class 10) cards, I get aprox. 17 RAW in buffer before the system writes catch-up. I've also found the Sandisk Extreme and Silicon Power cards to have the shortest return from write times following live view or complete buffer purge.
09-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I ordered two 16GB Silicon Power cards(10) aprox. 2 months back and have been using them over the past few weeks. I've found them to be every bit as fast as my Sandisk Extreme's and so I decided to order two more. They are an excellent value and there performance is every bit as good as cards costing as much as two times the price.

PS. with a Patriot or Transcend card, I get aprox. 14 RAW, but with these latest(class 10) cards, I get aprox. 17 RAW in buffer before the system writes catch-up. I've also found the Sandisk Extreme and Silicon Power cards to have the shortest return from write times following live view or complete buffer purge.
Those are interesting real world #s for the Silicon Power cards. Odd that in the review they were rated at an average Write speed of 18.5 mb/s vs the SanDisk's 22.4 mb/s. The Transcend, Lexar Pros and the Silicon were neck and neck in the tests. Glad they are working so well for you and were such a bargain.
09-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #43
Veteran Member

So, I went looking for data-based reviews. They are HARD to find with currently available items in the analysis but there are a few. I am surprised no one here has referenced this article as it was the best of the lot IMHO. Its from April and covers the Transcend Class 10 and the SanDisk Extreme 30mb/s Class 10 cards.

Memory Cards, Part 2: SDHC Cards From 8GB To 16GB : Class 6+ SDHC Cards Compared

#1 for Write speed by a HUGE margin is the SanDisk with #s 2-4 a dead heat for the Transcend Class 10, Lexar Pro Class 6, and Silicon Power Class 10.

The Transcends are around 1/2 the cost of the SanDisk SDHC cards so I have them in my P&S but a SanDisk in the K-x.
thank you for this useful and updated info. I noticed that the first link provided by another poster was an old one. this gives us much more of a clear idea of the more recent cards released and their performance. and hope that TOM this time doesn't get dissed as promoting marketing BS for Sandisk due to the wide performance difference against the cheaper Transcend .
09-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Those are interesting real world #s for the Silicon Power cards. Odd that in the review they were rated at an average Write speed of 18.5 mb/s vs the SanDisk's 22.4 mb/s. The Transcend, Lexar Pros and the Silicon were neck and neck in the tests. Glad they are working so well for you and were such a bargain.
I should of mentioned all of my other cards are class (6)
The only class (10) cards I have are the Silicon Power ones.
09-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

they would surely be a nice cheaper alternative. I just hope that their life expectancy/cycle, durability and reliability would be good as well.

the other concerns that we face are losing data or broken cards. I noticed that some cheaper cards dont last that long.