Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Turn Off Dust Screen

K7 Camera..... How do I turn off the dust taking picture? every time I d/l my photo's a picture if the dust on my sensor is among them.

I know I'm a idiot
Thanks
Jack

02-23-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if this is the solution or not but it is worth a try:

After downloading your pictures, make sure you format your card in the camera. I had the same experience and I think that it stopped when I decided (probably after reading something on this forum) to format my card after each use.

Good luck.
02-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
K7 Camera..... How do I turn off the dust taking picture? every time I d/l my photo's a picture if the dust on my sensor is among them.

I know I'm a idiot (don't know if I'd push it that far )
Thanks
Jack
Unless you are copying the whole card, I don't know why you would be getting the dust test photo. It should be stored in a different directory called Dust (IIRC). If you just want to transfer your photos, only take those that are in the DCIM directory.

QuoteOriginally posted by rickn Quote
I don't know if this is the solution or not but it is worth a try:

After downloading your pictures, make sure you format your card in the camera. I had the same experience and I think that it stopped when I decided (probably after reading something on this forum) to format my card after each use.

Good luck.
Except in the case of a New card, I've never bothered to reformat one. It may be bad practice on my part not to do so but I've never had a problem with it..

02-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Unless you are copying the whole card, I don't know why you would be getting the dust test photo. It should be stored in a different directory called Dust (IIRC). If you just want to transfer your photos, only take those that are in the DCIM directory.

Except in the case of a New card, I've never bothered to reformat one. It may be bad practice on my part not to do so but I've never had a problem with it..

It is standard computer good practice to format a storage device in the machine that will be using it, and when two are involved, the one that has less processing power available to compensate for out of sync tracks. Your camera has less processing power on the read/write section than your PC.

Secondly, when starting fresh with any recording device, it is good practice to format the device to prevent any read/write errors that can arise due to (in the case of disk drives) bad sectors. I assume that solid state devices, such as memory cards have the equivalent to disk sectors, so I format my card, in camera, as soon as I have downloaded, backed up and verified the images on the card.

02-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

All you've got to do is delete the dust directory on your memory card. That will delete the dust photo. Delete it when your camera is plugged into ypur PC or when you have your card in a card reader. Hope this helps.
02-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
It is standard computer good practice to format a storage device in the machine that will be using it, and when two are involved, the one that has less processing power available to compensate for out of sync tracks. Your camera has less processing power on the read/write section than your PC.
It's a digital, solid state device, so track placement is not really an issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Secondly, when starting fresh with any recording device, it is good practice to format the device to prevent any read/write errors that can arise due to (in the case of disk drives) bad sectors. I assume that solid state devices, such as memory cards have the equivalent to disk sectors, so I format my card, in camera, as soon as I have downloaded, backed up and verified the images on the card.
They have the equivalent of sectors, yes, but modern filesystems don't really do much when you create them that's why it's so fast. the media definitely isn't scanned.

The cards themselves have error checking capabilities (ECC), and should detect and map out most bad blocks automatically. This is one of the key differences between cheap cards and high-quality ones: better ECC implementation, fewer bad blocks allowed out of the factory, and possibly more spares.
02-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks so much guys,
I did what kkoether suggested except I just deleted the picture instead of the whole folder and I'll see if that works, If not I'll formate the card. I didn't realize that the photo stayed in the card after deleting the photos. I was used to formating the disk in the K20d camera.