Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #1

Purchased Amazon K-7 bundle have specs in viewfinder - suggestions?

I picked up a K-7 bundle from Amazon and received it today. I charged the battery then turned it on only to see two black specs in the viewfinder, cannot see them on live view.

I tried blowing it out with compressed air but I think the specs are on the non exposed side. Any suggestions on cleaning? Should I return for another K-7?

I purchased a 16gb SanDisk III that will be here tomorrow, I can then take a shot or two and I hope those specs do not show up.

Thanks for any input.
Mike

02-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you see them in the viewfinder, odds are strong that they're actually on the focusing screen. You could theoretically clean that, but since it's out of the optical path of actually recording images, I wouldn't bother. If it really bugs you (especially if they're big enough to be really distracting), send it back for a new one.
02-23-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't bother returning it. Any SLR that doesn't have dust in the viewfinder right out of the box will grow some withi the few fiew montsh. Dust comes, dust goes - it's a normal fact of like with an SLR.
02-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't even bother man, whether it arrived with specks inside or not, you will EVENTUALLY get some inside after a week of usage. Mine had a speck of dust inside the pentaprism when I bought mine new a couple months back. Don't even bother cleaning it until you see like 5 specks inside, it's a waste of time trying to keep up with the dust game. It does not affect the image quality at all whatsoever, it's only what you see through the viewfinder.

02-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. Is it a QC issue since they are more of a flake than a dust spec?

I have had home theater front projectors for the last 10 years so I am very familiar th dust blobs, worms, ect. and this does effect image quality at 120" diagonal. Dust is the inevitable enemy, if it does not effect image quality then I am fine.

Thanks
Mike
02-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

No, it's not QC - like I said, dust comes and goes. Might not have been there when it left the factory. Viewfinder dust cannot possibly affect the image - it isn't in the path between the lens and sensor.
02-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
I received a replacement today, this one is perfect.

I am convinced the the particles in the viewfinder of the original K-7 was not dust since they where the shape of trapazoids

Thanks for the input.
Mike