Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #1

pef files rejected by Lightroom but dng ok

Hi folks. I'd be grateful for any suggestions on my issues. The dng files from my K-7 are accepted by LR 2.1, but the files shot in pef are being rejected. I get a messages from LR upon attempted pef import which reads" The files appear to be unsupported or damaged".

I am trying to figure out my workflow and at least for now, I would like to keep both pef and dng files as backup ( I know it could be overkill). My plan is to shoot in pef, save them for archive, and then copy as dng in LR and do any post in LR. However I find Silkypix (Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4) not very user friendly for doing the initial sort and delete. I'd rather do my initial sort for keepers in LR, that's why I want to import the pef's into LR.

I guess I'd also like to ask for any suggested programs to import, review and sort the pef files other than Silkypix.

Well thanks for your time and help. Cheers.

02-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squeeze Quote
Hi folks. I'd be grateful for any suggestions on my issues. The dng files from my K-7 are accepted by LR 2.1, but the files shot in pef are being rejected. I get a messages from LR upon attempted pef import which reads" The files appear to be unsupported or damaged".
Have you checked on Adobe's site to see if Lightroom 2.1 actually supports your K-7 .pef raw files? I'd be surprised if it did, as 2.1 is now getting pretty long in the tooth (as applications go). The current release version is 2.6 and the release of 3 is right around the corner.

QuoteQuote:
I am trying to figure out my workflow and at least for now, I would like to keep both pef and dng files as backup ( I know it could be overkill).
Yes, I think it's not just overkill, it's probably more likely to confuse you in the long run.

My recommendation would be to shoot .dng to start with. It's my understand that the K7's .dng files are compressed and no larger than its .pef files. I don't have a K7, I have a K10D and a K20D. On those cameras, .pef is compressed, .dng is not. In order to save space on the SD card while shooting, I shoot .pef. Then I convert to .dng upon import and I delete the .pef originals. (At this point, they're still on the SD card, so I have a second chance should some sort of problem present itself quickly.)

I can't think of a single reason to save the .pef files once I've converted 'em.

QuoteQuote:
My plan is to shoot in pef, save them for archive, and then copy as dng in LR and do any post in LR. However I find Silkypix (Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4) not very user friendly for doing the initial sort and delete. I'd rather do my initial sort for keepers in LR, that's why I want to import the pef's into LR.

I guess I'd also like to ask for any suggested programs to import, review and sort the pef files other than Silkypix.
The full version of SilkyPix Developer Studio 3 (released late last year) is, I think, much nicer than what you got from Pentax. Nevertheless, this isn't a strength of Silkypix. Actually I don't know of ANY other program that does as good a job at managing initial import and review as Lightroom.

And if you upgrade to Lightroom 3, well, you'll be in great shape all around.

Will
02-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
You might want to update your Lightroom. I just confirmed PEF from my K7 works fine in Lightroom 2.6.

I remember there being an issue but can't remember the details. I'm sure the fix was just to refresh Lightroom.

Having said that, I switched to DNG with the K7 months ago. The K7 DNG files are no larger than the PEF files, the only reason I used PEF on the K20D is the compression.
02-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

Hi. Thank you all for your info. I'll try to upgrade LR and see what happens.

02-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I second upgrading Lightroom and shooting in DNG.
02-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

2.1 doesn't support K7 PEF. Update your software to the latest version and see how it goes then.
As an aside, any Adobe Raw converter will work with DNG files.
For example, Photoshop 7 (we are up to PS11 now) will open K7 DNGs.