Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reknelb Quote
Wow! No offence intended here but, I can go through every post so far in this thread and find grammer/spelling errors. That means even the people complaining about the OP's spelling. I think the topic is interesting enough. If you dont like it then move on, no need to resort to name calling. I didn't know people on this sight were so easily offended.
True.

I, myself, am not a native English speaker, but I would think I have a good command of the language. Yes, I'm nitpicky when it comes to English, and I could find faults (spelling or grammar) in posts both here and in other forums. I should be appalled that even native English speakers commit a lot of errors in their own use of the language, but I know and understand that not everyone speaks good English.

What's more important is that we users of the language can understand each other. I reckon that you guys could still understand nathancomb's posts. Let's be more considerate, shall we? We're all not perfect beings.

That said, I think this topic is actually a good one, and isn't discussed much in this forum, even though it does merit some space here. Pentax did wean a lot of photojournalists with their K1000. I would think the K100/110D series of cameras fit the bill also for upcoming photojournalists of today. Thoughts?

07-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reknelb Quote
Wow! No offence intended here but, I can go through every post so far in this thread and find grammer/spelling errors. I didn't know people on this sight were so easily offended.

Its "site", not "sight"...
07-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt

Hey, what did I do to become a "Loyal" member?
07-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I think that happens at 300 posts.

07-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt

Hey, what did I do to become a "Loyal" member?
aculy i had NO problem reading that lol

this happens when i start posting on a new sight but in most cases it dies down. like i sed before it is more important to get my stores right than what i get right on a forum on line. so i put forth more time and effort and have spent 1000s of $$$ so my spelling in my paper are as close to spelled well as possible.

now, with the Nathan can not sell thing out of the way LOL

lets talk photoj,

ok, to day i was shooting a baseball game and well i was glad that i had my K100D with me. i had started shooting with my K10D but well i had forgot to charge it. and it went dead. i think that it is a good idea to have a back up camera that takes the AA baterys. when i worked for a paper i had to use a D70, and i was following the charging scugal that i was told to do. well there was a boom thereat at the police station. i went out to cover it and well the battery had gone dead so i was there and a dead camera GRRRRR. i saved the story by having a role of film in my bag and shooting with my K1000. but having a digital that takes AA baterys makes it so that if for some reason the bat in my K10D gos i just take the batterys out of my scanner and put them in the K100D. i also carry a pack of AA non rechargeable in my bag. (i have rechargeable for my K100D and there in it but you never know)

now the BIGGEST problem i have had with my K100D is the battery door, there is nothing like acdently hitting the lach to the battery door, at night along the interstate in high grass and losing all of your batteries. now like i sed before i have spars BUT it is a bit pricey losing rechargeable batteries a couple of times.
the door was better designed on the K10D THANK YOU Pentax, that would be bad and REALLY $$$ if that battery kelped falling out. if you just worked in a studio this would be an anoince but if like i sed before your on the interstate cars are going 70 just feet away from you and your in some what high grass it is soooo not a good thing. what i have dune is to put black eltcal tape over the lach it works ok.
07-08-2007, 05:49 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
aculy i had NO problem reading that lol

this happens when i start posting on a new sight but in most cases it dies down. like i sed before it is more important to get my stores right than what i get right on a forum on line. so i put forth more time and effort and have spent 1000s of $$$ so my spelling in my paper are as close to spelled well as possible.
The closest I ever got to photoj was being on the school newspaper in high school, but my opinion is: why would you go to great expence and efforts to make sure that your spelling is correct in your own paper, and then risk the chance of seeming really uneducated (or just don't care what other people think?) with your spelling on this or other forums? It would be a pride thing with me.

I like to think that I am a decent speller, but still get beat over the head by my wife from time to time on a text message I sent via cell phone of a word I fudged because my phone doesn't spell check.

IMHO, why is the spelling on this forum, which actually might get you more eyes than your online paper, any less important? In a way, you're still producing print to be read by the masses. I would use the same spell checking programs that you use for your paper to check the spelling of your posts here less we feel insulted by not being worthy enough of a little effort on your part.

End rant.
07-08-2007, 06:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Its "site", not "sight"...

It's "It's", not "Its".....
07-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by answerdude Quote
The closest I ever got to photoj was being on the school newspaper in high school, but my opinion is: why would you go to great expence and efforts to make sure that your spelling is correct in your own paper, and then risk the chance of seeming really uneducated (or just don't care what other people think?) with your spelling on this or other forums? It would be a pride thing with me.

I like to think that I am a decent speller, but still get beat over the head by my wife from time to time on a text message I sent via cell phone of a word I fudged because my phone doesn't spell check.

IMHO, why is the spelling on this forum, which actually might get you more eyes than your online paper, any less important? In a way, you're still producing print to be read by the masses. I would use the same spell checking programs that you use for your paper to check the spelling of your posts here less we feel insulted by not being worthy enough of a little effort on your part.

End rant.
well it takes any where from 1 to 3 hr for me to go throw the hole prosses and that is not time i am willing to decade to stuff i post on a on line forum. and i am prepossessing stores when i am on hear so most of my stuff is working on the stores that i have to get out Vs what i tipe on hear. it has nothing to do with any thing exped i dedicate my resorses there first.

07-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
well it takes any where from 1 to 3 hr for me to go throw the hole prosses and that is not time i am willing to decade to stuff i post on a on line forum. and i am prepossessing stores when i am on hear so most of my stuff is working on the stores that i have to get out Vs what i tipe on hear. it has nothing to do with any thing exped i dedicate my resorses there first.
Well, all the more power to your elbow (as they say amongst the drinking crowd).

I'll give you maximum "Brownie points" for your courage and determination; and all your detractors can "go suck" (me included 'cos I'm usually a picky old "illegitimate" when it comes to misuse of language )
07-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Hi Nathan:

I admire your willingness (or submission) to proceed through the spelling criticism. Personally, I am very picky with spelling but my typing is bad.

I am getting used to your writing, and do chuckle a bit (sorry) with new uses of old words and phrases, such as "prepossessing stores".

One of my former assistants had dyslexia, and I'm sure it is not easy to overcome. Ironically I had him answer email:-)

Keep on truckin'.
07-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by answerdude Quote

End rant.
I think he already established that he suffers from dyslexia. Both of us never had it, and it's just cruel to simply pile on someone who has it. We cannot even fathom how hard it must be to be in his place. And I think his role on the HS paper is one of a photographer, and not of a writer.

Just the same, it's in the best interests of all of us to simply understand one another and not be so nitpicky about spelling and stuff. The common thread that binds us is photography anyway, and not perfect English.
07-09-2007, 12:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm quite shocked at the hostility shown by some people here.

Nathan already said he's here for his photos and not his words. So far I like his job a lot. It's very different and attractive.

Keep up with the good job Nathan!

Take care!

Deni
07-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
a 80-300 F 2- 1 or simmler fast lens would be nice fore a lot of things. it
would be expcive but i would get it.
uh, do you have ANY idea how big a lens like this would be?????????? Let's simplify things (forget the zoom) and look at a 300mm f/1 lens. ummmm, the front element would have to be at least 300mm wide!!!!!!! Heck a 50mm f/1.0 (Canon made one) goes for ~$5K. I guess you have tens of thousands of dollars (possibly even >$100K) to spend on a lens for your little online blog so you can get better pictures of nightime peewee football games?
I get the sense that you actually think a 300mm f/1.0 lens is possible, so I suggest you do some reading on basic optics before you even think that a lens such as that would be possible.

Canon and Nikon made 200mm f/1.8 lenses that are insanely expensive. So if you have $5K and can get closer to the field, you might be in luck!
07-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
uh, do you have ANY idea how big a lens like this would be?????????? Let's simplify things (forget the zoom) and look at a 300mm f/1 lens. ummmm, the front element would have to be at least 300mm wide!!!!!!! Heck a 50mm f/1.0 (Canon made one) goes for ~$5K. I guess you have tens of thousands of dollars (possibly even >$100K) to spend on a lens for your little online blog so you can get better pictures of nightime peewee football games?
I get the sense that you actually think a 300mm f/1.0 lens is possible, so I suggest you do some reading on basic optics before you even think that a lens such as that would be possible.

Canon and Nikon made 200mm f/1.8 lenses that are insanely expensive. So if you have $5K and can get closer to the field, you might be in luck!

yes i do understand that a lens like that would cost a LOT but i view it as a tool and yes tools are explicative but if you need it you need it. as far as sports go i am in a small market, and HS sports are a BIG thing. if you have a good sports section it brings in a LOT of readers witch brings in the advertising + second dray photo sales. faster long lens would go a long way in improving the quality of the photos i take ie.... lower noise so that i can produce a better photos.

now i am doing ok with 80-200 F5.6 @ 200mm ASA 3200 but in low light this happens, photo Vally Leag Baseball. (i have a 100-300 but it is in the shop and it is also a F5.6 @ 300)

this not crouped a lot some but just to fit the size i print at getting close is not the problem. it is having to shoot fast moving people ect... and there being no light.

now some people say use a flash, i wish i could a lot of the time but at menny of the sporting events i am not allowed to. now i do have my 135 F2.5 and 50 F1.7 i would love to use them but i would have to be in the field of play to do so. and i really do not think that is going to happen.

2nd reason

the majority of car wrecks and fires are at night and there are a lot of factors in shooting them. safety first i am NOT getting killed over a house fire, so longer lens are necessary. then well i am not going to get in the firefighters way they need to do there job with out stepping over me. now with that sed i do use my 18-55 a LOT when shooting fires, i am often right behind a fire fighter when i shoot. and they do not mind. examples.

photos where taken with a k100D and the 18-55 kit lens
07-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like your photos .

Between can you use manual focus lens? Cos there are some cheap old manual focus lens that are faster than 5.6@200mm.