Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
photoj and Pentax

i shoot mostly photoj and run my own online newspaper The Photograph

i was wondering if there is any one else that is primarily a newspaper person and we could chat about Pentax cameras and doing what we do. some things i would like to talk about are how Pentax could improve bodes and lens for photoj and sharing tips for using ower cameras better.

as photojs we tend to be more ruff with our equtment than say some one that just shoots in a studio. so our cameras have to live threw rain, snow, fires, smoke, dust ect... I am wondering if Pentax has sponcerd Photographers that shoot photoj (if not i VONTEAR i can put the cameras and lens to the test lol) like the guy on hear (i for get his name sorry) that duse fashen in France.

Could a K100D or K10D and lens that are out stand up to Nikon,Cannon, Leca in the photoj work envierment. i not talking photo qulity but work for years with little brake down time. they have ben out only a short time and not a lot of photoj people use them so i have no idea.

ok what i LOVE about using my K100D and K10D for photoj

the built in anti shake has at times been a advantage when shooting at night along with that the 3200 asa has been a + factor in the K100D. the K100D for me has been more reliable then the K10D i have had to send it back 3x for AF problems, but it seems to be fixed now. i do say the coustmer support was EXCLENT!!!! in my opinion the AF works pritty good in the dark. but be improved like any other AF, but i have little problem at night. so far my K100D has been taken it and keeps kickin. the K10D after the fix has been holding it own also. i shot sports with the K100D worked fine evin with the smaller buffer, but the K10D has has really been good with its non stop till the card is full buffer in .jpeg and its buffer in RAW is not bad eather. i have had no problem with any of the buttons, diles ect.. on eather camera but i do like haveing 2 like on the K10D.

so fare both have been good photoj cameras for me.

lens

NEED faster primes and zooms, and they need to be made of metal and have AF. i bought 2 Pentax smc lens 80-200 and 100-300 a bit slow but i happy with the sharpness ect.... BUT plastic dues not hold up at all. the bodes are ok but i would like to see the bodes also made of metal. i not going to be able to pass my K10D and K100D to my kids like i can my K1000 they proble will not last that long.

i get this resing from looking at my 50 F1.7 made in the 70's i think and my 135 F2.5 also from the 70's both have been used and abused by me for many years and i have no idea how they where used before that. both of these lens are in better condition than my smc lens i got last year.

07-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
am i the only photoj hear
07-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I used to do a lot of photojournalism, for a small town paper, before I went digital, however. I had a Pentax ZX-M and an *ist 35mm and they never missed an event. (I however, had user error on occasion, but that was hardly the camera's fault, it just does what I tell it)

as far as the bodies, they're metal frame inside, plastic shell on the outside - I'm sure one of the flagship cameras from canon or nikon maybe entirely metal - but you won't find many of that sort these days unless you go back to 35mm.

for lenses, they have the limited line of lenses, great quality, metal construction.
also the DA* zooms etc. coming out.

For durability: That said there are many people here with tens of thousands of exposures - you hear of breakdowns now and then, not sure what the percentages are compared to "the other" brands but I'm sure they have their fair share of downtime too.

If you want to pass one on to your kids, buy one in another year or two when the price really drops and then save it. Seriously, it's getting to be the same thing as computer equipment - in 15 years your kids are going to look at your K100 and laugh and say "when did they make those, when the dinosaurs roamed the earth?"

I'm not giving you a line of crap. I remember in 2000 the newspaper I worked for bought 2 top of the line Nikons to go digital, and I think they were both $4000 apiece.. it maybe was 2.6 megapixels. I really wouldn't worry about the "passing it on" aspect, unless you want them to display it in a glass case somewhere...

-Dan
07-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i agree with you i had used my K1000 on menny assments before digital, in fact i still shoot like i did with film lol i for get that i have the burst setting a lot of time. so i pick my shots where other photojs may have 100 photos of an event i may have 30 but i learning how to "pray and spray" lol (but not over doing it )

i was hoping that i am not the photoj hear, or am i just that where lol

there where some people that where asking about mirror lens. will i was using mine on the 4th for a news story. it is a Sligor 500, it is about as long as the 18-55 kit just bigger around, this lens is ok and a bit tricky and maby not as sharp as regaler lens, but for some photoj work it can be an effective tool.

as we know from working at or pubshing in newspapers or on line the quality of "print" is not all that good and has more wiggle room so it nagats a lot of the down sides of this lens or ones like it. as in we are not priting 20x30 1200 dpi, i run my photos 9x6, 6x9, or 6x6, 9x9 72 dpi now the advantages in using it is that most people do not know that it is a lager MM and allows you to take a lot of candids of people and they do not know that your photoing them. this leads to more nachreal photos, i hate when some one turns to look strate in to the camera blowing a good shot.

07-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

yeah, to be honest my city's newspaper uses those 2.6 MP digital cameras still, I think, and it wouldn't make a difference if they had a 10MP K10D - newspaper work is done on crappy 4 color presses halftoned - you definitely have wiggle room there!

No, you're not the only photojournalist here.
I still shoot like I did with film too - I remember someone cracking a joke when I was shooting a high school basketball game with my all manual 35mm - but with a 50mm f/1.9 lens I got some really good shots, not as many as they did, but very good with a high enough shutter speed to stop the action.

I remember after that event my (tough as nails for a small town paper) sports editor saying I could shoot sports for him anytime. That was a heck of a compliment from him.
07-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
am i the only photoj hear
No, you probably aren't.

However, you have atrocious spelling, and that will limit the number of replies you get.

I've dabbled in journalism; written a bit, shot a few pictures, done layout, and been an editor in several different capacities--including copy. Your posts give me the heebies.
07-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
you have atrocious spelling,
LOL - I have to agree with you there bdavis. I type/proofread for 8+ hours a day for the past 6 years, I can feel my teeth grinding reading these posts.

07-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no my spelling is Very bad and there is not a lot that can be dun, ie... why my paper is called The Photograph (i use photos instead of words to tell stores) if you look at it the spelling is way better because it takes up words of 10 steps for me to correct and that still dues not get all of it. so on line i just use the spell check and it dues not help a lot. A nether thing i do in the paper is use the striate police reports or press reases. i also leave out out excess stuff and keep things strictly to the facts which keeps stores short so i tip less than i do on line.

example

The Photograph: Fire At Wintergreen - March 29

the idea is that you can just look at the photos and see what hapend. but i did wright a story, it is short BUT tells every thing i could not get in to the photos. but the spelling is ok. i do violate some rules in the Ap writing book but it is my paper and that is ok lol an example is i wright things in past tense and there spost to be in presntence. that and i am a photographer not a writer lol. i just can not afford to hire a writer right at this time.

" No, you're not the only photojournalist here.
I still shoot like I did with film too - I remember someone cracking a joke when I was shooting a high school basketball game with my all manual 35mm - but with a 50mm f/1.9 lens I got some really good shots, not as many as they did, but very good with a high enough shutter speed to stop the action.

I remember after that event my (tough as nails for a small town paper) sports editor saying I could shoot sports for him anytime. That was a heck of a compliment from him."

i am glad ther are others

i soooo agree about HS sports their is NEVER enff light and lots of times they will not allow flashes so your some times shooting 3 to 4 stops under witch means noise. Pentax needs to put out a 80-300 1.0 lens lol i shoot Valley leag bace ball in the summer ( small time area leag) they start playing at 7:30 pm i have till about the bottom of the 3rd to get what i need before things get too dark. after that the photos are more nose than subject.

a 80-300 F 2- 1 or simmler fast lens would be nice fore a lot of things. it would be expcive but i would get it.

here is some examples of sports i shot when the light was good.

100-500 Vavtar sears 1 K100D

Pentax smc 100-300 K100D

Pentax smc 100-300 K100D

i am out their shooting with the other photographers from the other newspaper that are shooting with there Cannon 1D MK--- and there using L glass and i beating them with my K100D and a lens that cost me 2nd hand 60$ lol

and i see other people out there with there 8000$ stuff and i am shooting there pance off. they ust to scoff un till they seen the photos lol.
07-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a faster lins at fiers would be nice some fier photos i have dun and beet the photographer that was using the

Cannon 1D MK--- L glass

Pentax smc 100-300 K100D

Pentax smc 100-300 K100D

Pentax smc 80-200 K100D

all of these are NOT PSed thay where croped only

i would have like less nose in these photos
07-05-2007, 11:13 PM   #10
Inactive Account

This thread has been tedious to read due to the childish spelling. You can spell the words in whatever way you want at your place. That's your and your readers problem.
When you come her writing in the same style you make it my problem. Other members here can probably express themselves about this. Maybe it is only me.

Send me a PM when you fixed the spelling. Until then I won't read your posts as I waste enough of energy on more important things.

I hope your site is better than your attempt to compare picture quality here. Good luck with everything.
07-06-2007, 12:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm using Mozilla Firefox v2.0.0.4 and it has an inbuilt spelling engine. I suggest you use that as indeed your spelling is not the best I've seen.

Heck I'm not a native english speaker and I can spell way better than you do .

Spelling aside this topic is interesting, and funny sometimes :P, so I'm following it with interest .

Deni
07-06-2007, 12:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Is that the Virginia school system standards? Its just not good to let people skate through school with that low a spelling level. I've heard stories about this type thing in mid-america school systems, and it just doesn't generate a good perception of education compared to larger populated areas like NY, etc. Very trying to read that stuff, and read excuses saying nothing can be done, so will just be mostly visual.

Interesting firefighting photos, though.
07-06-2007, 03:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I smell a troll!
Your spelling is too painful to read, and I too will be ignoring your posts.
07-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i use the spell check in fox fire but it is little or no use to me like i sed before i have to use VERY speslised equipment and programs to be able to get things spelled right. and being a person that is EXTRMLY Dyslexic there is not a lot i can do about the way i spell or wright. i have to put all my effort in to my stores that i put on to my paper and not in to forms on line. if you chose not to read what i wright so be it.

but on the other hand if throws of you that would like to have a conversation about photoj and how to use ower cameras to the best of our ablitys, lets talk.
07-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Wow! No offence intended here but, I can go through every post so far in this thread and find grammer/spelling errors. That means even the people complaining about the OP's spelling. I think the topic is interesting enough. If you dont like it then move on, no need to resort to name calling. I didn't know people on this sight were so easily offended.

Last edited by reknelb; 07-07-2007 at 04:23 PM.