Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Trading versus buying (DL vs K100D)???

We currently have *ist-D (since 2/04) and the *ist-DL (since 3/06).

We are both wanting the new K10D, though we each have different reasons for wanting it. Me - I more than need it (K100D at a minimum). If I had known about the K100D before I bought the DL, I would have waited on it? But, I didn't. Joe does not want to trade in the current ones for the K10Ds. He wants to keep them as well because there are certain features on each one that he likes.

What I am wondering is whether or not I should at least consider trading the DL for a K100D. They are in the same ballpark price-wise. I have double vision from a head injury 17 years ago next month. (Thus, my need for auto-focus vs manual lenses.) I also have found that I am very shaky. I have high blood pressure. Wonder if that has anything at all to do with it. Joe is able to do all the self-tripod poses of leaning against stuff certain ways to get a still shot. I am not. I can shake an image that IS on a tripod! I get a LOT of deletes from my own images that have camera shake as the reason for delete or re-take. Are the DL and K100D comparable at all to have the SR be our trading factor?

I'm willing to chunk the DL, but...

I'm just hoping to get experienced Pentax-user knowledge/input here.

Thanks in advance,
Faith

11-26-2006, 12:05 AM   #2

Hi Faith,

I haven't handled the K10D yet, but I've owned a K100D for more than a month and I love it. I bought a DL earlier, but sold it without using it, and bought the K100D. Now I can't find a reason to choose DL over the K100D (I only bought the DL because it was $365AR at that time), everything on K100D is improved over the DL, the only negative could be the extra weight, but the SR is well worth the additional weight and cost. You should get rid of the DL, no question about it (of course IMO, I'm sure most of the other folks will agree).
11-26-2006, 12:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had and really liked the DL, but I wanted the shake reduction of the K100D. I sold the DL and got the K100D and have loved it. The shake reduction really works, and I've taken some lowlight shots that I never would've gotten with the DL. The K100D didn't fit my hand as well as the DL (maybe slightly heavier, and the DL body is a little thinner), but I quickly got over that. I find the K100D more sophisticated in terms of features (more AF points, for one). Given the challenges you have taking pictures, the K100D should serve you better than the DL. I don't think you need the K10D unless you need the weatherproofing, or the 10MP (are you heavily cropping or printing humongous prints?).

I got the DL kit under the same deal you got (around $330 AR) and sold the DL body only on ebay for $385 after using it for 6 months. I don't say you'll get this same kind of deal, but it's hard to lose money on a dSLR when you only have less than $400 in it.

Russ
11-26-2006, 05:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Faith,
I own a DL and have for about a year now. This camera has served me very well. I have never had any problems camera wise (Oh a dirty sensor and focus screen but this is normal) I'm not going to tell you to trade the DL that has to be your decision. I will tell you that a second body is always a good thing to have around. On photo shoots when you need a lens change and don't really have time or you want another perspective, always great to know that other camera is ready to fire and get the job done.

I preordered a K10 months before they came out and was waiting and hopeing for it to arrive soon. Two weeks ago the shop I ordered it from packed up and went out of business with no warning. They returned my deposit and I was crushed not only to find out the shop was gone but also realised I wouldn't be getting that new K10. I have since had some time to rethink my shooting and my camera needs. I have finaly come to the conclusion I don't need 10 mp. (yes it would be nice but...) and all the bells and wistles. I'm not a pro and I never expect to be( however I am a good photographer and am experienced in many forms of photography, Landscape, nature, portrait, and just plain fun shooting.
I finaly decided I need the shake reduction (I'm getting old) and I do find my self in low light situations. and I want the 11 point AF And I won't have to buy a new computer (that's what my wife thinks ) to store al those gigantic files on. So as I said the rethinking helped to decide to get the K100D and I'll have that for Christmas (or soon after) untill then I have my trusty DL and I will never get rid of it. I will always be glad for Two bodies.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

11-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the varied thoughts to think on. We will need the K10D. My husband is a pro and I am training under him. I second shoot at weddings and portrait sessions when I am not assisting him. I just hate throwing out so many pics that I shook on. It's me, not the camera because Joe doesn't have the same issues I do.

We have to wait for the K10Ds due to money, but would like to still consider trading the DL for the K100D as the backup. That was the point of my question.

Added twist:

If we keep what we have - Will we still fight over the K10D if we buy (1) K10D and (1) K100D instead of (2) K10Ds? In doing the math, (2) K10Ds would be $2320 or $2280 depending on whether we would need 1 or 2 of the battery chargers for the (2) K10Ds. Those prices are based on Adorama at the moment. (Body being same price as B&H). I haven't priced out the accessories on B&H. We usually get Big, fat income tax refunds.

Yes, we worry about being pro on a 6MP camera. We do not push sales of large portraits due to not knowing print quality at those sizes on the 6MP. We sell mostly 5x7s, 8x10s and 11x14s. We are planning to emphasize albums over prints with baby/family/senior portrait sessions. Depending on the album size, the 6MPs should be ample for those.

And yes, we do feel like the needle in the haystack of Canons and Nikons in the professional market. Joe just really likes his Pentax's. He still uses his K1000, while other C&N users just look back on them with nostalgia.

So, in the professional market standpoint, should we stick to looking at the K10Ds? And if so, should I still want to switch the DL out for the K100D?

I paid too much for my DL since I bought it from the local camera store owner. I had to pay full retail for mine. Body + Kit lens was $565. I can't sell the DL before this weekend for sure, as we have two weddings on Saturday. We'll be working from 10:30 am until 11:00 pm. I already have the DL picture count quickly approaching the D's picture count. The last # on the D is 8402 and the last # on the DL is 6541. Is that going to hurt the resale value of the DL? We are hanging on to the D. We don't have a problem with that.

Faith
12-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I made the trade yesterday! The local camera store traded body for body and $375. The was only $50 difference from B&H's offer with the kit lens, so we went local. I will still get the $50 rebate, too.

He won't ket the K10D's in stock until sometime after Christmas.

OK, I am loving the K100D. It DID take some D features and some DL features, put them together and even added some features!!! Yeah! Just what I wanted (ever since we got the DL).

Thanks for the input. We'll be using it ALL day tomorrow at 2 weddings. Now, that is breaking it in (11.5 hours).

Faith