Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Stubborn Dust

Hi, i am having trouble with a fairly large piece of something appearing on my pictures.

I am using a k-7 and have run a couple of sensor cleaning protocols which cleared up some particles registering on the sensor test. However the original piece of dust is still visible in photographs. The dust does not seem to be present with other lenses, is it possible this is in the lens?

Any help is much appreciated,

thanks

Fraser

02-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried a blower? I doubt it has anything to do with the lens but more to do with the lens settings.

02-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Have just been over the sensor with a blower and its seems to have gone, only a few smaller bits left in its place.

Strangely the dust mapping option on the k7 is now shaded and unavailable, why would this be?

thanks

Fraser
02-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fra-zzr Quote
Have just been over the sensor with a blower and its seems to have gone, only a few smaller bits left in its place.

Strangely the dust mapping option on the k7 is now shaded and unavailable, why would this be?

thanks

Fraser
Probably the lens you have mounted. I think it only works with autofocus lenses. I know it doesn't work with M or K lenses.

The fused on dust (that won't blow or shake off), is removable with the Pentax cleaning kit O-ICK1. At least that's what works best for me.

02-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fra-zzr Quote

thanks

Fraser
As you've found, dust that is visible on the picture is also on or near the sensor. My guess was that your dust was attached to the shutter mechanism which was why the sensor shake wouldn't clean it off.
Check your camera settings for WRT dust mapping. It is very particular, I believe the camera must have an AF lens in, and be set to programmed AE with AF turned on or some such.
I have to look it up every time as well because my standard user settings don't allow for the dust mapping to be used either.
02-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

According to the K-7 manual: *coughRTFMcough*

The following conditions must be met before using the Dust Alert function:

-- a DA, DA L, FA J lens, or a D FA, FA, or F lens that has an Auto aperture (A) setting is attached
-- the aperture is set to the A position when using a lens with an aperture ring
-- set the mode dial to any mode other than Movie
-- set the focus lever to AF.S or C.

Check those conditions for something that may keep the Dust Alert feature greyed out.
02-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Regardless of the capabilities of dust removal, hasn't there been countless threads about the effectiveness and simplicity of a blower used to clean basic dust and or foreign objects from a sensor? Maybe this simple topic should be made into a "sticky" just like that of the "hey, my camera sounds like there is something lose inside"?

Jason