K200D (used) 711.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Of course, you could go for the K20D - weather sealing, ISO 3200, and the red focus indicator!! A complete package.
Chip that thought has crossed my mind as well! What prevents me from biting the bullet on that is the cost of the K20D here in poland! It's close to or even more than a $1000. For that cash I could pick up a K-7 when I visit my parents in California. I love the K20D, I had the Samsung version the GX-20. Hmm K-x or the K200D, I keep going back any forth on this issue!

02-28-2010, 06:04 AM   #17
Forum Member

I have both cameras. The K200D now lives in the drybox. I just wish the K-X had the option of a battery grip.
02-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

LV

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
I have a K200D and my daughter has a KX - so this is a comparison of the two from my point of view

My K200D
  • has weather sealing - its saved me several times in my travels (particularly in Ireland - thats a very wet place!!!)
  • the 18-55 ALII has a metal mount & lens hood with quickshift (though I rarely use that lens now)
  • good, intuitive menus, but they need some more burrowing at times
  • the top LCD is very handy - great for a quick glance to see where you are
  • the body size is just that bit better for me
  • easy optical DOF check with the on/off/DOF switch

However, the KX has
  • better low light performance
  • brilliant intuitive menus
  • more on board processing of JPEGs
  • rear LCD is effective, but not quite the same as the top LCD
  • DOF check is not as nice - you assign it to the green button, but then lose that for other things ..... hmmmm
  • easier access to important functions like ISO, WB etc
  • faster to focus
  • no visual indication of focus point - but it is audible - just remember where it is
The K-X has also LiveView which is nice for MF lenses and work from a tripod. Oh yes, and video too, but I haven't really used that feature.

I have a K-X and a K10, the weather sealing of the K10 is very nice, but I can only use it with my 50-135.

I would go for the K-X over a K200 myself.
02-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right now i'm really leaning towards the K-x, but then the K200D in RAW is nearly on par with the K-x as far as IQ is concerned. Yes low light performance will suffer, a little with the K200D. The K-x will win on low light photography and Jpeg. While the K200D is able to work in adverse weather conditions. UGH! I really don't care for movie mode, I just want to be able to take pictures in as many situations as possible. I already have lens planned out. DA 70mm Limited, and either DA 35mm Macro Limited, or the DA 40mm Limited. Now I just have to make up my mind on which camera to buy... :-(

02-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

The mere fact that you are thinking about the K-x means you want the K-x..and if ever you were to buy the K200D, I'm pretty sure you will still be thinking about the K-x and it would never go away.
Get it over and done with and get the K-x.
Even those who bought the K-7 want the K-x..so there you go!
03-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright everyone, thank you very much for your help and suggestions! So I have made my decision... After careful consideration of everyone's opinion and taking into account my needs and what I can do with the pictures PP wise (I currently have a 12" Mac PowerBook G4, which isn't going to win any speed contests now being 5 years old...) I decided on a K100D, Now I would have picked up a K-x, but the cost of it here in Poland made it slightly prohibitive and the fact that a possible replacement could be coming out in the "near future" I decided on an oldie but goody. I feel that I've been wanting a higher MP count but in reality I wasn't even shooting at 14.4 when I had my GX-20! My computer would take 30-90 seconds to open each file and that wasn't even working on RAW files either! So to feed my need to take pictures and to try to work on them, I decided on the K100D. One of these days after post grad, I will have the equip I want and make full use of it...

Once again, Thank you all for your insight and time. I learn quite a bit every time I look at this site.

Sincerely,

Theperception2008
03-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #22

I have both the K200d and Kx. There are of course many personal preference issues. The K200 feels better in hand (imho), especially with long telephoto lenses. I rate comfort in hand as a major factor. Weather sealing is a significant issue for my daughter, and the new low-cost 18-55wr lens is exactly what was needed to turn the K200 into the perfect backpacking tool for her. I just received the lens to put on a K200 body I'll be giving her for her graduation from college, and it is a very well balanced combo. Knowing the whole thing is weather resistant literally sealed (pun intended) the deal. As for the Kx, it presents itself quite differently. I have mated it to a 28-300mm Tamron XR lens for a "one camera compact body-lens outfit" when needed. I'm enjoying this set-up, and believe it'll be perfect on vacations. If you can figure out what your most prominent needs are & then actually hold that particular set-up in your hands, I think it'll tell you a lot. Edit: just saw that you went for a K100d - another very capable camera that will serve you well. Have fun!

03-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #23

Since there isn't a single WR lens on that list you just posted, I don't see why you need that WR body of the K200D.
03-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Haha..I did exactly as he did!
I was debating before whether to get the K200D or the K10D but opted for the K100D super instead!
Great minds think alike!
03-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaSA Quote
Since there isn't a single WR lens on that list you just posted, I don't see why you need that WR body of the K200D.
I was waiting to go back to the States during the summer and possibly pick up the D-fa 100WR, and the 18-55wr for adverse weather shooting conditions... But now I'm just gonna work with the K100D until a new more affordable WR body comes out
03-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Haha..I did exactly as he did!
I was debating before whether to get the K200D or the K10D but opted for the K100D super instead!
Great minds think alike!
The K100D is a well respected camera and well loved as well. As stated above, I do not have the computing power to even work with 10mp RAW images on my old mac laptop. Now when I get the iMac, that shouldn't be too much of a problem I was looking to pick up a K100D even when I did have my Gx-20. It should be arriving sometime this week! (my K100D that I bought from a forum member )
05-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #27

Photos: Albums
Even though you didn't mention this in your prerequisites, but the K-x has the ability to capture HD video, which came in handy for me when I attended some events in the past and wanted more than just a snapshot. The K-x is a really versatile camera and great bang for your buck.