Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #16

This is exactly why I bought a k-7 over a k-x. Don't really have the same concern as you . . . .

Personally I would be more worried about physically damaging the camera as opposed to the weather damaging it. Don't fall and you shouldn't have to worry

02-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niamerT Quote
This is exactly why I bought a k-7 over a k-x. Don't really have the same concern as you . . . .

Personally I would be more worried about physically damaging the camera as opposed to the weather damaging it. Don't fall and you shouldn't have to worry
Our northeastern boiler plate slopes could do some serious damage. Besides, when I'm skiing I don't want to worry about the camera. As for the F...word, I would love to say it never happens but sometimes it does and I'm certainly not going to resort to sticking to the old fart trails.
02-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #18
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I am back.

Guess what... Had a lot of fun - and partially because I didn't have anything hanging off my back. So no pictures this time! Not sure if I'll want to bring out a camera again on a mountain ski trip - I think I'll be missing out on a lot of fun if I do!
03-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Well, I am back.

Guess what... Had a lot of fun - and partially because I didn't have anything hanging off my back. So no pictures this time! Not sure if I'll want to bring out a camera again on a mountain ski trip - I think I'll be missing out on a lot of fun if I do!
But you could have a great time looking at some nice photos.... by spending a few hours taking pictures instead of skiing.... there are time for both, and also time for some beer as well ;-)

03-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Well, I am back.

I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. Bring the camera and enjoy the skiing. I'm pushing 60 and still try to ski like I did in my 20's so I welcome the break to take my camera up the mountain for a bit and shoot some scenery and the kids doing stuff I don't dare to do anymore. I just don't try to do both at the same time.
03-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #21
Forum Member

I had this dilemma a while ago and I just took along a little point and shoot which performed admirably. And I fell on it heaps as well!

I would still consider taking a DSLR, but a point and shoot does the job just as well on a ski trip. If it's going to be a proper photography trip, then that's a different story entirely!
03-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #22

I took my k-7 to the mountain last weekend in a small lowepro bag and unfortunately took the hardest fall I've had in a decade. I was making a toeside turn on my snowboard on an icy section below the lift when I lost my edge and fell backwards, downhill landing on my k-7. It was on the left side of my lower back and the I now have a bruise the size of a turkey that has spread across my lower back and around my waistline. My doc says I am quite fortunate not to have broken my spine or paralyzed myself. Sore muscles and weeks off work are the worst I got. BTW the camera didnt get a scratch. Be careful out there on the slopes. I'd post a pic of my bruise but nobody needs to see that.
03-02-2010, 05:05 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hameggsbacon Quote
I took my k-7 to the mountain last weekend in a small lowepro bag and unfortunately took the hardest fall I've had in a decade. I was making a toeside turn on my snowboard on an icy section below the lift when I lost my edge and fell backwards, downhill landing on my k-7. It was on the left side of my lower back and the I now have a bruise the size of a turkey that has spread across my lower back and around my waistline. My doc says I am quite fortunate not to have broken my spine or paralyzed myself. Sore muscles and weeks off work are the worst I got. BTW the camera didnt get a scratch. Be careful out there on the slopes. I'd post a pic of my bruise but nobody needs to see that.
shit happens, I'm sorry to hear that; I'm glad though that nothing really serious happened to you. But, at least did you get some good pics before you fell?

03-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hameggsbacon Quote
I'm glad to hear you're OK. One can say " I never fall" but any of us who have skied or snowboarded for any length of time know better. Actually carrying a pack of any kind while downhill skiing carries some risk, whether there is a camera or not in it. Chat with any ski patrol member at any ski area and you will plenty of stories about people getting hung on chairlifts and getting injured falling on them. One may quickly say that the ski patrol guys wear heavy packs but it's their job and they aware of the risks. They also aren't agressively skiing and none of them will want to be carrying that thing on a day of fun skiing.
I don't want anything extra when I'm skiing. I look forward to the mild weather of spring when I don't even need to wear a jacket.
03-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by dnmtsn` Quote
shit happens, I'm sorry to hear that; I'm glad though that nothing really serious happened to you. But, at least did you get some good pics before you fell?
I was trying to get my niece to shoot some video of me going through some small jumps. She was sort of peevish about it and did not do a great job earlier in the day. In my head I had thought "last run for the day" which is considered bad luck to say out loud. I now have anecdotal evidence that it is bad luck to even think it!

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm glad to hear you're OK. One can say " I never fall" but any of us who have skied or snowboarded for any length of time know better. Actually carrying a pack of any kind while downhill skiing carries some risk, whether there is a camera or not in it. Chat with any ski patrol member at any ski area and you will plenty of stories about people getting hung on chairlifts and getting injured falling on them. One may quickly say that the ski patrol guys wear heavy packs but it's their job and they aware of the risks. They also aren't agressively skiing and none of them will want to be carrying that thing on a day of fun skiing.
I don't want anything extra when I'm skiing. I look forward to the mild weather of spring when I don't even need to wear a jacket.
Its funny because I tell my new snowboarding students that they should never judge their progress based on how many times they fall. I tell them that I fall frequently because I am always pushing myself out of my "safety zones" in an effort to become a better all-around rider. I rarely rode with my ist*DL for those exact reasons. One of the reasons I got the K-7 was for the weather sealing and not having to worry about falling in powder snow, didnt think about ice.....
03-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #26
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. Bring the camera and enjoy the skiing. I'm pushing 60 and still try to ski like I did in my 20's so I welcome the break to take my camera up the mountain for a bit and shoot some scenery and the kids doing stuff I don't dare to do anymore. I just don't try to do both at the same time.
At 53, I feel the same way--but my first post in this thread said the same thing:

Even at 20 and skiing with a Mamiya Sekor 1000, I left the camera in the locker and shot later, when I wasn't skiing.

Hard to get a good shot when both you AND your subject are sliding on skis.
03-12-2010, 05:40 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I take my K10 with me and shot in any weather, regardless that I use it with a pancake lens.
I've dropped the camera in the snow too, when stopping for a photo shoot.

I wouldn't be too concerned to use a K-x even in a bit snowing conditions.
Be more careful changing lenses, if it is very cold.

Temperature problems for cameras; are usually going from cold to warm. So just keep the camera in the bag, for the first 20 minutes, when returning indoors.

Regarding backpack, I use a smaller one, and then put the camera in a dedicated soft pouch bag inside. Sometimes I use a bigger padded backpack, as it can also add some more protecting to my back, should I fall.
On heli-skiing, you're not allowed to bring backpack in the chopper. So I just had my DSLR and pancake in an inside pocket in my hardshell jacket.

A few weeks ago, I also skied with the camera around my neck exposed in freezing temperature, and with wind-chill factor, it started acting up. A short time in the bag, and it was ready again.

I might also bring out the camera, while sitting in a chair lift, if going by something I wanna get a snap off.

Some samples :
First one taken in minus 30 degrees

A zoom lens can be helpful, (though I didn't use one here)

I always carry a camera in my backpack. Just with one lens, and I hardly notice it.

You never know, when the weather might change, and you wanna have a camera present

I'm with Ben; gear is to be used, not worried about

Of cause if you expect to fall a lot, and are concerned about your gear, it is something that you need to take into consideration.

Some other random shots :

The important thing is to have fun

Picasa Webalbum - Sune - JPEG til Picasa

Last edited by Jonson PL; 03-12-2010 at 06:03 AM.