Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

How weatherproof is the K-7?

I already own a K-x and I am considering purchasing a K-7 for its "weatherproof" status. On the official Pentax website it says

"Weather, dust and cold resistant
The K-7 is weather, dust and cold resistant (to 14 F or -10 C), making it ideal for use in any environment. "

Anyone want to clarify for me what this actually means? Can I take photographs in the rain/snow? Can the camera get wet? What about the lens?

Even better would be to share a personal story of how "weatherproof" your K-7 is.

02-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's weatherproof but you need weatherproof lens.
02-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's a selling point, I'd never trust it. I paid too much to risk taking it out in the rain.
02-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #4

Your decision, but if I were you I wouldn`t hesitate

K10D is "only" weatherproofed (no dust.., no, cold...) and I never had any problem with it in torrential rain, heavy fog, humid caves, heavy snow. The coldest measurable temperature I shot in was -28 degree Celsius (aprox. -18.4 degree Fahrenheit).

If this 4 year old camera resisted such elements, K7 should fly...

02-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
PFH
Site Supporter

YouTube - PENTAX K7 Sales Pitch in the shower!
02-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #6

I was about to go to youtube to find this . . .

HAHA. I read on plenty of sites that people who have been shooting on whale cruises had no problem when it rained or got splashed by salt water. I also saw on another forum some dude slept with his camera on a table in the rain all night and it was fine. Someone from Pentax had to remind him this wasn't such a good idea . . .

First day I had mine I was trying to get a stream shot and kicked water/snow all over it. At first I was like "Oh S#!t", then I remembered.
02-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kxuser Quote
I already own a K-x and I am considering purchasing a K-7 for its "weatherproof" status. On the official Pentax website it says

"Weather, dust and cold resistant
The K-7 is weather, dust and cold resistant (to 14 F or -10 C), making it ideal for use in any environment. "

Anyone want to clarify for me what this actually means? Can I take photographs in the rain/snow? Can the camera get wet? What about the lens?

Even better would be to share a personal story of how "weatherproof" your K-7 is.
I've used mine in light rain with no ill effects, and have read of plenty of folks who've used theirs in fairly heavy rain without problem. As somebody else said though, note that the lens used plays a part, too.

Only DA * lenses and the three WR-badged lenses are weather / dust resistant. (And obviously, the identical versions of the WR lenses that don't have the WR badge are not weather resistant, although they're otherwise optically identical).

Also note that the PC sync connector is only weather-resistant with its cap screwed in, and that no Pentax flash strobes are weather resistant (and AFAIK, there are no weather-resistant P-TTL-compatible flash strobes from any other manufacturer either). If you buy the D-BG4 portrait battery grip, that's also weather-resistant to the same degree as the camera body.

As to the level of protection offered, I'd expect everything to be fine in rain and splashes, but not to handle either immersion or a direct jet of water at close range (for example, a hose pipe, etc.) And obviously, you've still got to look after the camera - for example if it gets splashed with salt spray by the sea, sticky champagne taking pics on a race podium, or whatever, you'll want to rinse it with fresh water as soon as possible just to ensure that there are no ill effects.

Within reason, though, I'd expect it to be just what it is described as - "weather resistant". ;-)
02-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great info knoxploration! Thats exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. The weather in NYC has been keeping me in all week and really cutting into my shooting time, and with all these K-7 deals being posted recently its hard to pass up. The only reason I wouldn't go for it now, is the rumors that there is a newer model in the works.

PFH that guy in the video is awesome, makes it look like an infomercial .

02-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #9

I've used my K-7 + 18-55 WR in light rain, medium rain, dry snow, wet snow and horizontal snow. No problems so far. I've even slipped and fallen into a big pile of powder snow that got both me and the camera covered… just wiped off the worst of it and continued shooting.

The only thing you should be careful with is to check that the seals are in good condition and that you don't have any have any dust or hair between the seals that could compromise them.

A "snapvideo" I took the other day: http://albin.abo.fi/user/jfors/videos/WR.mp4
02-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxuser Quote
The only reason I wouldn't go for it now, is the rumors that there is a newer model in the works.
Glad to help! As regards the comment quoted above, I'd say this... It doesn't matter what you are buying - car, boat, camera, heck probably even your toothbrush... There will always be "next year's model" coming. ;-)

What you have to ask is what you could be doing with the car / boat / camera / toothbrush if you had it now, and whether not being able to do it is really worth saving a few bucks or waiting for the features in next year's model - because you know when next year comes around, there'll be another model coming along just a year after that. :-D
02-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just buy what you can now. I had the same issue when I bought my k200d. The thing is still working great.

Remember just because there is a new model out it doesn't mean your old one will suddenly stop working. The k7 is an excellent camera. I'm not buying it because I still have my k200d. I'm going to skip a few generations and then buy another one.

It's like buying a computer. You get the best you can afford now and use it till you can't anymore and you HAVE to buy the new model.
02-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #12

I think it is very important that people remember that they are "Weather Resistant" NOT "Weather Proof" which means it will resist the water and such but its not proofed.

I shoot a lot of lightning and have always up to this point done it without a WR lens and it has all gotten wet but not soaked too many times and I have never had an issue. While I don't fear the snow or light rain and would probably not mind shooting in heavier rain now if using the WR kit lens I wont be seeing if it will hold up a foot under water any time soon.
02-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Great youtube video but someone should tell the guy it's called 'Pentax' not a 'Pintax'. Sounds like he says 'Pintax' several times.
02-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KansasHorizons.com Quote
I think it is very important that people remember that they are "Weather Resistant" NOT "Weather Proof" which means it will resist the water and such but its not proofed.
I guess the proof comes when the service department rejects your warranty repair because the camera has water damage. The "Weatherproof" tag is a cop out IMO, all they need to do is quote the sealing rating using the Internationally recognised IP rating system and we would know exactly what to level of protection to expect.

ip ratings explained ingress protection
02-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not the K7, rather it's predecessor the K20d:

I expect that the K7 will be just as solid. A little storm like the one we are having now should be no problem.