Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I don't know if that battery could cause start up problems. I would take the bottom off and see what's there before I would dump the camera. I will open a camera up as a last resort. If I am going to pitch it, I figure there is not much to loose. Here is a link that has some service manuals.

Downloads

Look for older model service manuals. Hope this is a help.
I'm not planning to dump it especially now I know the LSD duracells work perfectly. Quite the opposite, now I will be looking to buy a bunch of eneloops and lenses!

If you are referring to the resetting time issue, I will be keeping and eye on that but it hasn't happened since I put in the duracells.

Thanks again :-)

03-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good to hear

Glad your DL is up and running. I just got an infrared filter for mine. I am going to try some infrared shots with my DL as soon as the spring foliage turns green.
03-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #18

Original Poster
Nice one - bet you get a good few interesting shots with that. I can't wait for spring either - I already photographed the snow this winter, and I really think that once is enough with snow!

Maybe we'll get our wish soon though, supposed to get up in the 50s this week round here
03-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess I got lucky with my DL it is very easy on the batteries. All I have ever used are Duracell's They last a surprisingly long time even using the flash. I had always heard dslr's eat batteries but this one doesn't maybe I should try eneloops anyway

03-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

@Patrick9

You're aware that thread is a year old
03-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Old, but it's a useful thread. It helped me anyway when I had the same issue with my *ist DL. You know it's funny I tried some of those new long lasting batteries that someone suggested and they just did not work well in my *ist. Same issue exactly. They work just fine in my flash et all but in my camera they are a total dud. But the 2 sets of regular old Energizer chargable AA's that my folks bought me? They work for so darned long that I'm often amazed!

I've never had batteries that lasted so long before. When I had my Fuji that thing would eat a set of fully charged batteries in less than an hour. I was always recharging my batteries with that camera. I had like 5 sets that I would fully charge and take along just so I could get half a day's shooting in. Now? I need two and I could go nearly all day!

I think the *ist DL just gets picky sometime as to which batteries it likes. All those high end batteries that I paid a mint for and that I thought it would love? They're for running the flash, kids toys and myriad of remotes and other gadgets we have around the house that need AA's. When I go to grab the camera? I grab the Energizers too.

My advice to anyone with a DSLR who is having this issue? Before you assume it's the camera try using something less technically superior in there and see how it works for you. When you think about it doing that makes total sense particularly if the camera is older like an *ist. Back when those cameras were made we didn't have super batteries like they are making now. Why would they necessarily be 100% totally compatible?

I love the Recykos I bought for running other things. But put them in my camera and my *ist does everything but spit them back out at me and go "Phatooey!"
03-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Odd, my Dl likes Eneloops, but I do have the latest firmware, don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
03-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I do too. First thing I did when I got my *ist was to update it, but it just doesn't like the super batteries at all. Regular old Energizer chargeable AA's it seems to love.

03-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I do too. First thing I did when I got my *ist was to update it, but it just doesn't like the super batteries at all. Regular old Energizer chargeable AA's it seems to love.
That's kind of weird because mine's the opposite! I haven't updated the firmware because I'm too scared even fully charged batteries won't be enough to keep it on while it does it.

My DL woks perfectly on eneloops. I bought the power pack off Amazon that comes with the charger after buying the 'Duraloops' (the rechargeable Duracells with the while tops are basically rebranded eneloops apparently) and they were the only battery that has worked. It's weird, I used one set of Energizer lithiums in there when I bought it - lasted maybe 6 months. Put in some normal rechargeables and they lasted 3 days .

After those, I couldn't get any other battery type to work. Not Ulitimate Lithiums, not even normal bog standard AAs, nothing but the crappy rechargeables until I found the 'Duraloops' in Walgreens. I got about 8 months out of them and during that time I bought the eneloop pack, and now I go through them quickly but that's because I'm taking a lot of indoor with flash shots. The best thing is, during a shoot, the battery icon will go to the almost empty reading - I turn off the camera for a minute or two and then it's back up to full again! Can stretch a set out quite long that way!

I think you are definitely right about the *ist DL being a picky camera, and this is probably likely due to it being 6 years old, but I love mine and as much as I'd love a Kr or a K7/K5 I just don't think I could bring myself to update her right now. I'm sure there are a million reasons why one of the Ks would be better but I just like the way my DL takes photos

One thing though - how long does that firmware update take, and does it do anything for me other than enable me to use SDHC cards and 4Gb and above?
03-08-2011, 07:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redspecial Quote
That's kind of weird because mine's the opposite! I haven't updated the firmware because I'm too scared even fully charged batteries won't be enough to keep it on while it does it.

One thing though - how long does that firmware update take, and does it do anything for me other than enable me to use SDHC cards and 4Gb and above?
IIRC, the update doesn't take that long, a few minutes. Read the instructions and follow to the letter! Format your known good SD card in the camera. Use a card reader in your computer and put the update file in the root directory of your SD card. Use fully charged, known good batteries. The light will stay on even when finished.
03-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
IIRC, the update doesn't take that long, a few minutes. Read the instructions and follow to the letter! Format your known good SD card in the camera. Use a card reader in your computer and put the update file in the root directory of your SD card. Use fully charged, known good batteries. The light will stay on even when finished.
OK, well I have all the required elements - card reader, fully charged batteries et cetera but is it an absolute necessity to update though? Seems to work fine on v 1.00. If it doesn't change anything other than the ability to use bigger SD cards I'm not sure I want to take any chances because knowing my luck something will crap out on me and I'm left with no camera
03-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter

I don't know if it changed anything except the size of sd card capabilities ,but I updated mine anyway soon as I could. I updated using new copper tops then went out and shot some photos. As I remember it did not take long for the update to load just a few minutes .
03-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #28

I have an *ist DL2 with the same issue. It will run fine on recharchables (anything that puts out 1.2 volts), but on Alkalines, lithium's (1.5 volts) it gives me the flashing battery symbol of death. It's running firmware 1.0, I will be installing the updated firmware soon to see if it solves my battery issue. Even if it doesn't, it still works, I just have to feed it the right batteries.
03-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I definitely think the upgrade was worth it but then again I came from using an upscale P&S and from a place of having to use the same 4 compact flash cards for a very long time. For almost 8 years the 2GB worth of CF cards I had was all the storage capacity I had. They were all the best cards I could afford but still it was only 2GB all total.

Being able to have a couple of 1 GB/2GB and one 4GB cards has definitely enabled me to be able to photograph more freely than I ever could with my 6MP Fuji. I still have 6MP but it just seems like I have so much more capacity and freedom than I did with my Fuji. 10GB's in my pocket is a lot more fun!

I love my *ist. I think it's a great camera. I am also looking very forward to getting my first K-x in the not too distant future. The idea of that step up is really inspiring me. Just having the *ist versus the Fuji has opened up a whole new world to me in some ways. Having the K-x? It's going to be like going from primary school off to college.

Basically I was stuck in kindergarten with the Fuji for almost 8 years. I learned a lot with it but I do feel the *ist has finally taken me off to high school. I'm very much ready for a bit more sophisticated camera. Soon 6MP and that, it won't be enough for me. In terms of picture quality the *ist is a ton nicer than my Fuji was but it's not much faster and there are admittedly times I find myself wishing for a bit more speed and iso capacity than the *ist can give me.

At least with the *ist and the upgrade I have those 4GB cards though. It's a total delight to finally be out for a few hours and to be able to shoot for more time and to not have to worry about changing cards so often. I would definitely do it again if for no other reason than to have the ability to do that!
03-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I definitely think the upgrade was worth it but then again I came from using an upscale P&S and from a place of having to use the same 4 compact flash cards for a very long time. For almost 8 years the 2GB worth of CF cards I had was all the storage capacity I had. They were all the best cards I could afford but still it was only 2GB all total.

Being able to have a couple of 1 GB/2GB and one 4GB cards has definitely enabled me to be able to photograph more freely than I ever could with my 6MP Fuji. I still have 6MP but it just seems like I have so much more capacity and freedom than I did with my Fuji. 10GB's in my pocket is a lot more fun!

I love my *ist. I think it's a great camera. I am also looking very forward to getting my first K-x in the not too distant future. The idea of that step up is really inspiring me. Just having the *ist versus the Fuji has opened up a whole new world to me in some ways. Having the K-x? It's going to be like going from primary school off to college.

Basically I was stuck in kindergarten with the Fuji for almost 8 years. I learned a lot with it but I do feel the *ist has finally taken me off to high school. I'm very much ready for a bit more sophisticated camera. Soon 6MP and that, it won't be enough for me. In terms of picture quality the *ist is a ton nicer than my Fuji was but it's not much faster and there are admittedly times I find myself wishing for a bit more speed and iso capacity than the *ist can give me.

At least with the *ist and the upgrade I have those 4GB cards though. It's a total delight to finally be out for a few hours and to be able to shoot for more time and to not have to worry about changing cards so often. I would definitely do it again if for no other reason than to have the ability to do that!
I guess I can see how it would be worth it putting it like that. Although, I've upgraded from a 35mm SLR, so even a 2GB card is way more convenient than having to put a new film in every 36 shots