Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K7 battery grip

I notice an accessory for the K7 is the battery grip extension. What are the advantages of this accessory?

02-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It makes shooting vertical scenes more comfortable/stable, and you can install an extra battery in the grip and the camera will use it automatically. In addition, with the grip the camera looks bigger and more professional to the eyes of some of your customers. Also if you have big hands it may help in handling the camera. Disadvantages are the extra weight, size and costs.

There is a forum for accessories. You may get more replies if you ask the question there.
02-26-2010, 06:07 AM   #3

It also balances the camera when using bigger lenses.

I sometimes use it without batteries, just for the better ergonomics. It might look a bit silly with a DA 40mm Ltd on, but it really is much nicer to handle that way.

/thomas
02-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What the others said.

Maybe this should be moved to camera accessories or beginner's Q&A section?

Jason

02-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The other advantage of the grip comes with 2 trays, you can only slide in one of the 2.

- The first tray can contain 6 AA (NiMH) batteries,
- The second tray can contain a "normal" K-7 battery + SD Card holder.

I'm using the grip in more remote areas where charging my LiIon is somewhat hard.

And yes, it carries much better with a large lens.

- Bert
02-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
The other advantage of the grip comes with 2 trays, you can only slide in one of the 2.

- The first tray can contain 6 AA (NiMH) batteries,
- The second tray can contain a "normal" K-7 battery + SD Card holder.

I'm using the grip in more remote areas where charging my LiIon is somewhat hard.

And yes, it carries much better with a large lens.

- Bert
How good or bad is the AA option? Does it have the same issues as using AAs in the other cameras? I say Issues not to knock anyone who enjoys using the AAs but some are better than others (well documented) for cameras. I have and use the grip but have yet to try it with AA batteries. To the other advantages, what everyone else has said +1

02-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The main intent of the portrait grip is one nobody seems to have mentioned yet... to provide a second set of controls that are similar in layout to shooting with the camera in landscape mode. The battery grip has its own duplicate if the shutter button, front and rear control dials, exposure compensation, ISO, AE-lock, AF and Green buttons, all in approximately the same positions they'd be were you to hold the camera in landscape mode.

It makes for much more intuitive shooting than would otherwise be the case with the camera in portrait orientation. There's one more control which I personally find somewhat counterintuitive though, which is the power dial. It does provide the usual depth-of-field preview function, but doesn't turn the camera on and off. Rather, it turns the grip on and off, and I find when shooting a mixture of landscape and portrait shots, I forget to turn the grip back off. This generally gets noticed a bit later when I'm reviewing shots, and the picture suddenly disappears because I accidentally half-pressed the grip's shutter release. That said, I'm sure if I shot with it more often I'd get used to this - but it strikes me that it wouldn't be that hard for Pentax to offer a custom setting that could use the camera's orientation sensor to disable the grip's controls unless in portrait orientation.

As for AA battery performance, I've found this to be great - both as a stopgap if I run out of batteries (hasn't happened yet but it's reassuring to have the capability), and as a lower-cost alternative to buying a second lithium ion rechargeable. (AAs - even quality ones like Sanyo Eneloops - are much cheaper than custom cells, with the only downside being that they're also quite a bit heavier). Battery life is good, and I've not experienced any quirks with the camera failing to recognize the batteries or charge level. The only slight oddity is that the camera takes six cells, and my chargers all offer only four-cell charging. ;-)

02-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the information it has been very helpful I guess i will be eventually purchasing one. Which brings me to the next question are they only made by Pentax or are there qeneric ones I noticed quite a few on Ebay
02-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
PFH
Veteran Member

Check out this:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/84154-battery-g...2454-77-a.html
Bought one myself, works like a charm.
02-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
There are generic ones available for relatively cheap.
02-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #11

I got a third-party one from DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1) for $55 and it works, but it is not weather sealed like the genuine Pentax one. So far the only think I don't like about mine is that it is a bit difficult to attach to the camera. Perhaps the genuine Pentax grip is manufactured with more precision and is easier to install.
02-26-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks PFH I read the ongoing thread about the grip and just purchased one
02-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matoqui Quote
I got a third-party one from DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1) for $55 and it works, but it is not weather sealed like the genuine Pentax one. So far the only think I don't like about mine is that it is a bit difficult to attach to the camera. Perhaps the genuine Pentax grip is manufactured with more precision and is easier to install.
I would presume so, on the basis that I've never had the least difficulty attaching the Pentax-supplied one.
02-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
How good or bad is the AA option? Does it have the same issues as using AAs in the other cameras? I say Issues not to knock anyone who enjoys using the AAs but some are better than others (well documented) for cameras. I have and use the grip but have yet to try it with AA batteries. To the other advantages, what everyone else has said +1

No, it is not like the K-x.
The camera takes 6 AA's. It has problems with Duracell Plus general AA's, they only last for a 100 shots.
My local cheap bought (Hema) Photo Rechargable NiMh's 2500mAh, however can take 400-500 shots before they need charging.
02-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
No, it is not like the K-x.
The camera takes 6 AA's. It has problems with Duracell Plus general AA's, they only last for a 100 shots.
My local cheap bought (Hema) Photo Rechargable NiMh's 2500mAh, however can take 400-500 shots before they need charging.
Good to know.. I knew it took 6 AA batteries (and the Kx takes 4), I can read instructions and can count. What I was looking for is partly answered in the rest of your post, durability. Also, is it as Finicky with different types of batteries. I'd never expect and would be surprised to get 100 shots out of the drug store duracells.