Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
exposure changes when shutter pressed?

I suppose this has always happened but I have never noticed it and can you stop it?
On a K10 set to manual mode when I set for example f11 and 1/1000 now I can see the exposure bar is about 1.75 stops underexposed but I want this, but when I press the shutter the camera changes the setting to F13 and 1/1250.
Now that takes a image which is in fact not too badly exposed ;although not what I would get if I pressed the green button which in this case gives me f10 and 1/250
In fact if I release the shutter button the speed I set is still in the view finder but the aperture has stayed at 1/1250
So how do I get the manual mode to do what I want and not what the camera wants
Alistair

Last edited by adwb; 02-26-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: can't spell
02-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could not simulate it with either a FA31 or a DA18-55 on a K10D; but you might be using a M42 lens or so. Can you tell us which lens you're using and the exact sequence of steps?
02-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
duh me stupid, I had set AE-L with AF locked set so as soon the camera focus of goes the exposure setting.
It is interesting however that in manual mode if set like the above that happens and the exposure is fine but not what the green button [set in program line] wants to suggest.
Alistair
02-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Assuming by "manual mode" you mean the "M" exposure mode, there is absolutely no way the camera should change anything when you press the shutter, regardless of any option setting I can think of. Only the Green button would cause the camera to ever change expsoure in M mode. Perhaps you mean you were in manual *focus* mode, but your exposure mode was P or something else automatic?

02-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Assuming by "manual mode" you mean the "M" exposure mode, there is absolutely no way the camera should change anything when you press the shutter, regardless of any option setting I can think of. Only the Green button would cause the camera to ever change exposure in M mode. Perhaps you mean you were in manual *focus* mode, but your exposure mode was P or something else automatic?
nope, I meant manual exposure mode, what I described is with a auto focus lens
and my k10 definitely changes what you set when you press the shutter button and thus trigger the meter which if linked as described before causes the manual setting to be overridden. if you disable this setting [which is the default setting]
then manual works as expected. I have not tried this with a manual focus lens yet but will and revert with the findings.
Alistair