Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K200d - AV/TV mode problems

I've been shooting a lot of my manual glass lately but today decided to bust out the macro lens for some Bee in flight shots. I put the sigma 105mm on the camera, which had been set to AV for shooting my manual lenses wideopen, and took a shot. First thing I noticed was that the pop up flash went off without me pressing the flash up button. It had gone up on its own.

I clicked FN and found it was on auto flash, so i set it to flash on and took another shot. I soon realized I had no control over the aperture. I turned the camera off and back on (keeping it in AV) and wouldn't you know it the back screen said "night scene" which is an auto mode. At this point im not sure what the heck is going on. I switch the camera to M and it works as it should. Than back to AV and it still says and acts like an auto scene mode. Than I move the dial to TV and on the back of the screen it shows the same screen that pops up when the camera is in auto mode. I went through all the modes and only M, auto, Bulb, no flash, and Program work. Auto landscape mode shows it as auto macro mode, auto macro mode has a blank screen as does auto sports mode. Everything is screwed up and I've done nothing.

Now I put the M 85mm on the camera and wouldnt you know it the camera says AV on the back screen as it should. Obviously I can't control aperture via camera because its a manual lens but it does say AV mode on the back and works as it should. Same goes for all the modes with manual glass on the camera. I than try another modern lens of mine (DA 55-300mm) instead of the macro lens, and the same screwed up modes show up. WTF!

I've tried resetting the camera and using the rocket blower on the contacts (it got a friends Takumar 2x TC's contacts working by doing that) of both lens and camera but still nothing. At this point I have no idea what to do. Any idea's?

I bought the camera on October 3, 2008 from amazon.... is it still under warranty?

My camera is my life, it never leaves my side no matter where I am. This is absolutely killing me

To think, my birthday is next Saturday and i am turning 16. I've been saving up for the DA 40mm and will finally have enough by my birthday, which is big for me as its my second biggest camera related purchase (not counting the camera)

Im sorry if none of this makes sense or is coherent.... im slightly frantic right now :ugh:

02-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Standard suggestions:

1) Ensure lens is snapped all the way into the mount. If lens is older A type, ensure it is set to A on aperture ring.

2) If you have grip attached, ensure 2nd shutter release is turned off. Many people have a habit of activating the green button next to the 2nd shutter release by accident.

3) Do a camera reset.

It does sound as if something is wonky with your mode settings, though.
02-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Standard suggestions:

1) Ensure lens is snapped all the way into the mount. If lens is older A type, ensure it is set to A on aperture ring.
Check, and the kit lens/DA 55-300mm dont have aperture rings

2) If you have grip attached, ensure 2nd shutter release is turned off. Many people have a habit of activating the green button next to the 2nd shutter release by accident.
No grip attached

3) Do a camera reset.
Check

It does sound as if something is wonky with your mode settings, though.
(10 chars)
02-27-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Yeatzee,

Do you change the lens while the camera is on? Or off? I noticed that sometimes my camera would not read the lens correctly and error if i swapped lens with the camera on. So what I would do is turn the camera off, remove lens, and then put on another lens and power it up and it was fine.

02-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Hey Yeatzee,

Do you change the lens while the camera is on? Or off? I noticed that sometimes my camera would not read the lens correctly and error if i swapped lens with the camera on. So what I would do is turn the camera off, remove lens, and then put on another lens and power it up and it was fine.

i usually do it either way. I tried it with the camera off for all three of my modern lenses and i still get these mode dial errors
03-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I just got the call from Pentax. They want a wopping $230 bucks

Luckily/unluckily my camera broke right before my birthday. Since it was my 16th birthday my parents said they would pay whatever the camera repair cost was to be. They weren't expecting that much

Well I have two offers from them....

1: they pay for the K200d to be fixed (the camera is not worth more than $300 in good condition according to the market place though) and I get my Pentax DA 40mm LTD I finally have enough for (stupid price increase)

OR

2: I have Pentax ship back my K200d which still works as normal in M mode (80% of my pictures are macros anyways, so M is my most used mode) and my parents have offered to give me $200 towards the K-7 they know i've been dreaming about. Now with the DA 40mm LTD money I still wont have nearly enough for the K-7 but I've got a few things I can sell and I have some work I can do. I wont have enough for the K-7 right away but I will be able to get it sooner.

So what do you guys think?

My lens lineup is in my sig.
03-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Well I just got the call from Pentax. They want a whopping $230 bucks :fed up:
about the same fixed cost here

QuoteQuote:
Luckily/unluckily my camera broke right before my birthday. Since it was my Th birthday my parents said they would pay whatever the camera repair cost was to be. They weren't expecting that much :HM:
QuoteQuote:
Well I have two offers from them....

1: they pay for the Kid to be fixed (the camera is not worth more than $300 in good condition according to the market place though) and I get my Pentax DA MM LTD I finally have enough for (stupid price increase)
not worth it IMHO

QuoteQuote:
OR

2: I have Pentax ship back my Kid which still works as normal in M mode (80% of my pictures are macros anyways, so M is my most used mode) and my parents have offered to give me $200 to wards the K-7 they know I've been dreaming about. Now with the DA MM LTD money I still wont have nearly enough for the K-7 but I've got a few things I can sell and I have some work I can do. I wont have enough for the K-7 right away but I will be able to get it sooner.
BEST BET I THINK

As an impoverished 60 year old to a very luck young man[your parents offer]
I would suggest you either save for the K or [and this is a serious suggestion,] ask the repair shop what they have refurbished with a warranty? In England the only official pentax repair centre has refurbished K10d and K20d bodies at very good prices with full 1 year warranty.
I know the K7 is your Holy Grail but think hard about what a K10d or K20d can offer you? Both are a huge step up compared to your K200d and many will say the K10 is the better of the two, IQ wise ,in a lot of circumstances, despite the lower pixel count. I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to read all the reviews you can find on line on all three, and I am willing to bet that you will begin to realise the K7 is not your only option to getting the images you want,
reviews I have found fair and accurate below for you
best regards
Alistair
Pentax K-7 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk20d/

Pentax K10D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by adwb; 03-12-2010 at 06:15 PM.
03-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the response.

Believe me I did some long and hard research regarding the K20d vs. K200d vs. K10d etc. The K10d & K200d iirc share the same sensor so im not sure how the
K10d could be better IQ wise. The K20d is a great camera from what I've read but its got some problems from my perspective which is why I want the K-7.

I shoot macro's like i said of insects, mainly praying mantids.
I.e.

etc. etc.

I plan on doing a few "seminars" on these insects with an entomologist I know, and I never thought I'd say this but I want a video shooting DSLR with my macro rig I'd love to capture HD video of them capturing and eating other insects, molting, hatching, etc. I think it would be pretty incredible and a great aid in the seminars

Also the cool gadgets such as the HDR function are very attractive. My mom is an interior designer so once in a while I take pictures of her work for her. This feature would help me out a ton.

Another key thing is warranty. Im never getting stuck with a 1 year warranty for a camera again. The K-7 comes with a 3 year warranty iirc.

Edit: I forgot to add. I'd like a usabl liveview where I can zoom in to check focusing accuracy. The K20d is said to have a very poor liveview. Is the K-7 better?

Edit 2: Also the K-7'd superior WB is something that is important to me. i shoot church events and the K200d's auto WB is terrible.

Last edited by yeatzee; 03-12-2010 at 07:03 PM.
03-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Forum Member

Re: Pentax K200d - AV/TV mode problems

I vote for you to get the camera fixed and spend the extra money on the lens.

Good glass can always be used on camera bodies.

Remeber, even though the K-7 is very nice, it is the first HD video capable from Pentax. Things should only get better. Not saying in anyway that it is bad, but after the K-7, Canon and Nikon followed suit with prosumer HD capable DSLRs, each trying to out do the other and pushing the tech bounds.

If this is any indication of where the market is going, the next K-?? Will be even stronger. Plus you will then have two (hopefully) working camera bodies.

Or better yet, when the next iteration comes out, surely the price of the K-7 will go down.

Put the really nice glass you get today on future camera bodies, and the kit lens ( if you go that way ) on the old.
03-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Forum Member

One other thing, the HDR thing is nice in the camera, but you can spend more creative time with more bracketed exposures in the computer with PS and/or program like Photomatix.
03-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Forum Member

Have you thought about an intervalometer for time lapse with your insect photograph? That might be interesting.
03-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Forum Member

Really one last thing. You can set the white balance with the help of something like a colorRight or an expodisc. Both you can use with any camera that let's you set the white balance.
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by YossarianKL Quote
I vote for you to get the camera fixed and spend the extra money on the lens.

Good glass can always be used on camera bodies.

Remeber, even though the K-7 is very nice, it is the first HD video capable from Pentax. Things should only get better. Not saying in anyway that it is bad, but after the K-7, Canon and Nikon followed suit with prosumer HD capable DSLRs, each trying to out do the other and pushing the tech bounds.

If this is any indication of where the market is going, the next K-?? Will be even stronger. Plus you will then have two (hopefully) working camera bodies.

Or better yet, when the next iteration comes out, surely the price of the K-7 will go down.

Put the really nice glass you get today on future camera bodies, and the kit lens ( if you go that way ) on the old.
I agree, good glass is very important, and if I go the K-7 route I will immidiately save up for the DA 40mm ltd after it is purchased.

----------------------------------------
Your right technology will get better, but I wont be able to afford it :ugh: My hope is that the K-7 replacement shows up soon so the K-7 prices drop. Like I said if I go option 2 I wont have enough for the K-7 for a decet amount of time anyways.
----------------------------------------
The K200d works btw, just only in M mode or with my old lenses AV also.

TBH I can't stand not having a camera.... I want to decide ASAP so i can ether have them repair my camera or send it back instead of just holding onto it. This is why Im asking here
03-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Really one last thing. You can set the white balance with the help of something like a colorRight or an expodisc. Both you can use with any camera that let's you set the white balance.
More things to worry about.... i'd rather have the camera get it right or atleast very close which the K-7 seems to do quite well.

Have you thought about an intervalometer for time lapse with your insect photograph? That might be interesting.
No I have not.... I will look into it.

One other thing, the HDR thing is nice in the camera, but you can spend more creative time with more bracketed exposures in the computer with PS and/or program like Photomatix.
I do not own any PP programs other than the free program "Gimp."

I dont need to be creative taking interior design shots, I just need to get decent shots showing the work done. The in-camera HDR function will give me less of a chance to screw it all up
03-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
Forum Member

I haven't got it myself yet, but Photomatix us just $100 ( compared to Photoshop) and you can combine more that three exposures like the camera can.

Did you say you were eyeing the DA 40mm? That is the pancake style lens. It was the second modern lens I bought and it is very good. You might want look over at sigma lenses too. They are not offically weather sealed like the pentax ones, but are sturdy and very reliable.
I'm personally eyeing their 30mm 1.8 (I think.)
I bought my last two lenses from abes of Maine and saved a bit that way too.