Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #1

KX Firmware HELP!

Im feeling a little stupid at this stage, but I downloaded the firmware update to my computer (I have a Mac) and I dont have an SD card reader, so I just dragged the file into the file (my camera) on the desk top.

Then I turn off the camera, disconnect from the computer then start with the menu button holding down whilst turning the camera back on and the viewfinder remains blank? nothing displayed, then I turn camera off and on again and works like normal but still version 1.0?

Can anyone help?

02-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kparkypark Quote
Im feeling a little stupid at this stage, but I downloaded the firmware update to my computer (I have a Mac) and I dont have an SD card reader, so I just dragged the file into the file (my camera) on the desk top.

Then I turn off the camera, disconnect from the computer then start with the menu button holding down whilst turning the camera back on and the viewfinder remains blank? nothing displayed, then I turn camera off and on again and works like normal but still version 1.0?

Can anyone help?
You have to first Unpack the firmware file so you have the actual file (this should be possible with your camera connected). Then make sure that the firmware file ( .bin) is in the Root directory of the card (not the DCIM directory), If you can see the DCIM directory folder, you are In the root directory. Make sure your battery is fully charged and go to it. Your camera after Menu+On, should come up asking if you want to update. After you select YES, Do NOTHING until the screen shows COMPLETE and the little red indicator near the SD slot flashes (IIRC).

02-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Tonight I followed the firmware update instructions to a T (fresh batteries, firmware file in root of formated SD card, etc.). Part way through Phase 2 the camera seemigly shut down completely. I have been unable to restart the camera despite taking the batteries out and replacing them, taking the card out, etc.. Is ther any experience with reviving these things ?
02-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

If anything goes wrong during a firmware update it's usually bad news.
Even though this is not covered by the warranty do you still have one?
Maybe they'll repair it for you if it was an update bug. Or you just claim that is was.

As far as I understand the firmware is like the bios to the pc's motherboard. If you mess up during update then there is no more os to operate the update it's a dilemma.

02-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davidvandoren Quote
If anything goes wrong during a firmware update it's usually bad news.
Even though this is not covered by the warranty do you still have one?
Maybe they'll repair it for you if it was an update bug. Or you just claim that is was.

As far as I understand the firmware is like the bios to the pc's motherboard. If you mess up during update then there is no more os to operate the update it's a dilemma.
Yes, I have been doing firmware updates on all kinds of electronics for many moons, so I am familiar with the procedures, following instructions exactly, and that there are sometimes "tricks" to getting these things to re-read the update and resurrect themselves.

The camera is new, and this was definately a bug in the update procedure as half-way through Phase 2 the whole camera simply shut off and is incapable of being powered back on. Very furstrating !! I am hoping that Pentax has a reasonable warranty policy if I can detail my explicit following of their published procedure as I would not intend to pay for jumpstarting this beast if it were not my own fault.
02-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Forum Member

This updates main purpose I guess was to fix the misreading of the batteries.
And here might lie the problem. My camera once shut down too with brand new batteries in it. I however have the 101 version installed. I read somewhere that this is a known update bug. My guess is Pentax needed to fix the battery issue since it's a malfunction. And because it's the battery itself that malfunctions it doesn't help much with making sure you got new once. I guess they put this update out knowing it would screw a number of the cameras, and I am quite sure they will fix this for the unlucky once for free. Still cheaper for them this way.
02-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
Im sorry Santoku that your camera is not working.....Ive managed to get mine done thanks everyone, I guess the key factor in it working for me is going to the camera menu and formatting first and deleting a 'dust' file (had no idea what it was then realised I did a dust check when I first got the camera) and then followed the instructions with no problems.

Thanks for your help Jeffjs....

Im off to take some potential tsunami photos that are about to hit east coast australia (from a very very high hill!).