Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where have you heard of Pentax myths?

Ok so I decided to do some searches on other forums just for fun. I just wanted to see more of how people of other brands view Pentax and WOW! It's amazing how little people know about this brand.

Out of the other brands from Nikon to Sony that I've searched about Pentax from, I would have to say the amount of "stuck-up-ness" from the Canon forums is just atrocious towards other brands, and mainly to Pentax. Don't know how they managed to grow so much hate against Pentax for whatever reason. Very glad to be part of the few, and the proud Pentax userbase.

One of the things I saw was someone asking about switching to Pentax, then the thread just filled up with things such as Pentax lens line-up being very limited and the lens IQ are not good. They've obviously never heard of the Limiteds. Aside from that, very few people knew a thing about Pentax lenses, it took awhile before they even mentioned in-body IS and using old MF lenses.

Where have you heard about Pentax that wasn't true or wasn't right before?

Last edited by LeDave; 02-27-2010 at 01:14 AM.
02-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There are a couple of Canon trolls on this forum that annoy me... I shouldn't let it get to me and I tend to ignore their posts, but once in a while they throw in some vomit on someone elses post. I'm also calling to get Pentax to make things better (SDM for example), but if you love Canon and hate Pentax...what is your motive to be here?
02-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had it mentioned to me a couple of times that Pentax fanboys are the most obnoxious of any camera brand.
02-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have had it mentioned to me a couple of times that Pentax fanboys are the most obnoxious of any camera brand.
True...it goes both ways. I don't know that anyone would say that Canon or Nikon make "bad" cameras or lenses.... It should be OK to point out issues that should be addressed. You also shouldn't need to feel apologetic for going with something that is not the mainstream.

02-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
There are a couple of Canon trolls on this forum that annoy me... I shouldn't let it get to me and I tend to ignore their posts, but once in a while they throw in some vomit on someone elses post. I'm also calling to get Pentax to make things better (SDM for example), but if you love Canon and hate Pentax...what is your motive to be here?
What I found that was disturbing when searching Pentax on a specific Canon forum was that someone on there, after seeing him writing off many bad things about Pentax, I've searched up most of his posts and it were mostly about bashing Pentax. He even states that he normally goes here, don't know what username he uses on here but I've never seen a matched username on this forum...
02-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Out of the other brands from Nikon to Sony that I've searched about Pentax from, I would have to say the amount of "stuck-up-ness" from the Canon forums is just atrocious towards other brands

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

Herbert Spencer
02-27-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
There are a couple of Canon trolls on this forum
If you will report them to me I'll be glad to kick their hineys!

Call the Amber Lamps.

02-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I think this is the funniest thing I've heard on this board in a week. Hysterical The thing is, they may very well be the most obnoxious, but I run into about 1000 canon Fannyboys for every 0 Pentax user around these parts.
02-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
If you will report them to me I'll be glad to kick their hineys!

Call the Amber Lamps.
wlank > kick < Canon trolls
02-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Name and publicly shame those other equipment trolls... (holds pitchfork in hand)
There is that annoying youknowwho who keeps just bragging about Canikon prices but for all I know he can't shoot for nuts because to date the fellow hasn't even posted a single photograph with exif intact with any camera (not even with a Pentax he supposedly has) on the Post Your Photos thread. Just not credible.
02-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter

LeDave, I went over to the Candy Dipstick Photog Forum and I see what you mean. There are dipshits over there complaining about the performance of their *ist D to current Rebel genre. I am starting to suspect that there is such a thing as professional trolls.
02-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
Forum Member

new to digital SLR "competition"

Being new to the digital SLR world I didn't really know much about any of the major contenders in the digital SLR "competition". I simply looked for the best value for my money since I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on camera equipment. I chose the k-x for this reason.

After purchasing and learning more about my camera I realized that I had joined a smaller group of users than Nikon or Canon. I actually remember showing people my new camera after I purchased it and some people saying "oh... you got a Pentax". Like there was something wrong with my choice. So mostly I had heard Pentax myths through fellow photographers.

What it really comes down to is the photographs you capture, and I believe you can capture great photographs with ANY brand of camera. The brand doesn't matter, just go out there and take some photographs! Although I <3 my Pentax! My two cents.
02-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Myths? Hits and myth-es's.

Pentax myths? Guess I missed'em. From the late '50's onward, Pentax always meant "good stuff". Sometimes it was student stuff, sometimes pro stuff. During my maturation, Canon made serviceable consumer PnS stuff; Nikon and Minolta were joining the West Germans in making pro stuff; USA stuff was either top- or bottom-of-the-line. East Germans and Russians? Feh,

My film cameras included Graflex, Kodak (including German-made Retina I, the first ever 135 cam), Yashica (135 & 6x6), Olympus (fantastic Pen-FT, and XA-1), Canon PnS's, Minolta (6x6), probably others I forget (or hope to). I depended on thrift and luck when purchasing. Much later, most of my digicams were/are Sony, with a smattering of Olympus and Minolta. Pentax just never materialized.

Fast-forward to 2008, dSLR-buying time. If anything, I was biased towards Sony/Minolta, then Olympus; otherwise I was quite agnostic. I fondled Canikons. I did rigorous analysis. Pentax won. Here I am. Aren't y'all lucky?

I don't read Canikonympus forums. I sometimes do 4Chan, where there's LOTS of Canonboy hatred of Pentax, and everything else. But just wait till the K645D emerges and blows away the competition. Who gets the last laugh?
02-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If a Myth is a female Moth, what's a Pentax myth?
02-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I don't read Canikonympus forums. I sometimes do 4Chan, where there's LOTS of Canonboy hatred of Pentax, and everything else. But just wait till the K645D emerges and blows away the competition. Who gets the last laugh?
Yeap... and someone also said that Pentax is the joke of professional photography, almost made me lost my mind in anger there. Oh dang, just can't wait for the 645D to pop out and slap them upside down right silly.