Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-X contaminated sensor

Posting on this forum after almost one year pause Anyway, I thought I should share this story...

Purchased a brand new K-X in a kit with 18-55 and 50-200 lenses (did not want the 55-300 as I already have AF Tamron 70-300).
So I went with great expectations for the first nature shoot, downloaded the pictures on my computer and in a horror found out few dark specs/spots against clear blue sky. Did some more test shots against a white wall, and sure enough, at least a dozen or more round specs/spots all over the frame, three of them pretty nasty. Run the sensor cleaning, blew the sensor with air - no change.
To be more specific, the spots almost disappeared at aperture 5.6 or less, but at full aperture the spots were very contrasty and almost black.
Using a small led flashlight and 5x magnifying glass, I could see the spots clearly on the sensor. Did quite a bit of research on the web and conclusion was that either some (excess) lubricant right from the factory got splattered on the sensor or it was my own doing with the Hurricane bulb lower, which I did initially as a "preventative measure".
So, again based on web research, I decided to clean the sensor myself using the Photograpics Solutions' Digital Survival Kit #2 Cleaning Digital Cameras - Photographic Solutions, Inc.

The kit includes a free sample of Sensor Swab+, so I started with this one, following their procedure. All what I got were the spots partially removed but mostly smeared on the sensor. Doing a dry swipe after with included PEC-PAD wand did not help either.
So I tried a different way, used the included Eclipse liquid on the Pec-Pad wands and this time I swiped the sensor several times, very thoroughly. Thanks god, the smears were almost gone, but had to do some additional dry Pec-Pad, then wet Pec-Pad and dry again before all the blemishes were gone.

So what I learned. Even that I cannot tell for sure that the Hurricane was the culprit, it goes to garbage can. The wet cleaning with a Pec-Pad wand moistened with the Eclipse and followed by the dry Pec-Pad cleaning worked best for me.

02-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice job. Well done.
Good it worked out for you.
02-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

And people give me hell for using Dust-Off.....
02-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You want to see a scary cleaning method that I used?

Video is in German, but it shows the cleaning method. You basically apply this viscous water-based polymer onto the sensor, put a small strip of paper at the corner, allow the solution to dry, then pull the strip to remove the dried film.
YouTube - Sensorreinigung

- Jason

02-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote

Video is in German, but it shows the cleaning method. You basically apply this viscous water-based polymer onto the sensor, put a small strip of paper at the corner, allow the solution to dry, then pull the strip to remove the dried film.

- Jason
Wow That breaks every rule I've ever read (or repeated) about cleaning sensors. I can see how and why it would work though. Certainly not for the person in a hurry.. What is that stuff he put on the screen? Looks like a type of Masking film that model builders use when painting, in place of masking tape...

If that ever gets out to the general public, the sales of all those ridiculously priced cleaning products is going to hit the crapper.

02-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Wow That breaks every rule I've ever read (or repeated) about cleaning sensors. I can see how and why it would work though. Certainly not for the person in a hurry.. What is that stuff he put on the screen? Looks like a type of Masking film that model builders use when painting, in place of masking tape...

If that ever gets out to the general public, the sales of all those ridiculously priced cleaning products is going to hit the crapper.

It looks like the stuff i used to clean my vinyls in the eighties. Didnīt know that still existed.
02-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Different strokes for different folks.
I would say whatever works or whatever floats your boat..as long as it gets done!

02-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PFH Quote
It looks like the stuff i used to clean my vinyls in the eighties. Didnīt know that still existed.
You're absolutely correct. It's called DiscoFilm, and it was used to remove dust and other particulate from vinyl records. The guy who made that video re-purposed the product and is selling as Sensor-Film.

- Jason
03-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote

Sounds like "waxing".