Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
HDR and KX

i having trouble finding out how to get manual shots to process on HDR pc software, is it possible in kx ?

i know kx does it in camera but i want to get the shots and process externally.
i just

i know i can do the shots manually, but was hoping that the software just gets you the multi-shots with correct exposures already done

if the kx does do this do any cameras do this

thanks

02-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try Photomatix. It's HDR software, and will process your files for you on your PC.

HDR photo software & plugin for Lightroom, Aperture & Photoshop - Tone Mapping, Exposure Fusion & HDR Imaging for photography
02-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
how do i get the kx to do a set of correctly exposed shots ready for pc software
02-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

Use Auto Bracketing or choose manual EV compensation after each shot. You get good results with 3 photos: One taken with normal settings, one with -2EV and one with +2EV (you can also try +/-1 and +/-3). That way you will get one normal shot, one with underexposure (image looks very dark) and one with overexposure (bright). Make sure you get the same frame each time - its best to use tripod for this, otherwise the different pictures won't align properly.

02-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Agree with above...for best HDR, use an outboard program such as Photomatix or my favorite, Dynamic Photo HDR for blending and tone-mapping your shots.. Try this with 3 bracketed shots, or maybe even 5 to 7, all at fairly equally differing exposures, with a "correct "one as your middle. If you cant use a tripod(recommended strongly), be very stable in your shooting to eliminate ghosting and softness. If you need to tweak the alignment of your shots, Dynamic Photo HDR has a manually align feature which really is a fantastic feature for manually aligning in a up-down, left-right and tilting axis.

Have fun and post some results.

Jason
02-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Forum Member

auto bracketing

I know some of you have already seen this... but for those that have not...

I wrote an article about my own process for HDR using photomatix and the kx.

And here is a comparison of the in-camera HDR versus auto-bracket and photomatix.

Let me know if you have any questions, I have been experimenting with this for a while now.
04-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #7

thanks Kxuser
exactly what i was searching for
04-25-2010, 06:36 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Something I was always curious about but never see mentioned is the automatic bracketing technique:

Don't you have to bracket shutter speed and NOT aperture for HDR, so your DOF is the same among all shots?

I shoot manual, so no big deal, but do those automatic modes adjust shutter speed out of the box, or can you, or must you, set something so it adjusts the speed and not the aperture, and differing with camera model?

04-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #9

Pay attention, as Ira have noticed, if you use bracketing drive mode while selecting Tv on dial mode the camera can decide to change the aperture also (i think that's something you would like to avoid).
So use it in M or Av mode only as the camera can't change the aperture between shoot

Last edited by matam; 04-25-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: big mistake