Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am always in constant battle with tripod and mono-pod. I do have a few, it would have been much better with tripods but I didn't have them in business traveling to Washington DC.

4/5 sec, f/2.8, 24mm, 400 iso,, -1 Ev, K100D
vivitar 24mm f/2.8 p/k-ar from Cosina, lens flare

4/5 sec, f/2.8, 24mm, 800 iso, 0 Ev, K100D
same vivitar lens

Vertical is harder, I usually try to brace myself with some back support like a wall or a post.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 03-02-2010 at 07:45 PM.
03-02-2010, 11:46 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
soft means soft doesn't explain things much. Soft in this case means slight blur. We are not talking soft due to poor optical quality of the lens. Your soft here is due to not having fast enough shutter which means slight blur.
Alex, let's see your low light, high iso shots in a real world setting...perhaps in a dark environment where people are constantly moving around. It's real easy to post iso examples of intimate objects in a well lit room like let's say a fan, or some dinner plates on a table (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/89847-abstract-table-plates.html) or a scene out of your bedroom window (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/90175-nature-valley.html). It's child-like easy to shoot such mundane things. You miss the point too easily and sadly because you feel the need to tell others how to improve their own photography, yet where is your stuff? Getting good results in a challenging environment with the equipment you have in had (in my case, was a very casual setting with one camera and one lens with a group of friends in a natural setting, you've done that before, right?) and they turned out very nicely. If you want to critique that, go ahead, but until you can do better...you come off as looking immature.

Lastly, this thread is about slow shutter photo taking and you come in criticizing others for posting examples of slow shutter photo taking. What is your point exactly?

Jason
03-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Alex, let's see your low light, high iso shots in a real world setting...perhaps in a dark environment where people are constantly moving around. It's real easy to post iso examples of intimate objects in a well lit room like let's say a fan, or some dinner plates on a table (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/89847-abstract-table-plates.html) or a scene out of your bedroom window (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/90175-nature-valley.html). It's child-like easy to shoot such mundane things. You miss the point too easily and sadly because you feel the need to tell others how to improve their own photography, yet where is your stuff? Getting good results in a challenging environment with the equipment you have in had (in my case, was a very casual setting with one camera and one lens with a group of friends in a natural setting, you've done that before, right?) and they turned out very nicely. If you want to critique that, go ahead, but until you can do better...you come off as looking immature.

Lastly, this thread is about slow shutter photo taking and you come in criticizing others for posting examples of slow shutter photo taking. What is your point exactly?

Jason
I think you are missing the whole point. You are the one that said you were able to shoot handheld at 1/4 but your images came out soft. I answered you back and told you what's the point of having soft images if you are shooting with a high quality camera and lens and recommended higher iso to get better shutter speed. I could care less about how you shoot or what shutter speed you use. This is my opinion and point of view that higher noise is better then getting blurry images and that noise can always be corrected later. The photo i posted here at 3200iso proves my point. The photo was was taken a very dim light with all curtains closed. You should have figured this out based my the 1/20 settings and 3200iso. I can get the same noise reduction result with any photo taken at any low light environment.

Last edited by Alex00; 03-03-2010 at 12:44 AM.
03-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #64
Veteran Member

I think you are missing the whole point. You are the one that said you were able to shoot handheld at 1/4 but your images came out soft. I answered you back and told you what's the point of having soft images if you are shooting with a high quality camera and lens and recommended higher iso to get better shutter speed. I could care less about how you shoot or what shutter speed you use. This is my opinion and point of view that higher noise is better then getting blurry images and that noise can always be corrected later. The photo i posted here at 3200iso proves my point. The photo was was taken a very dim light with all curtains closed. You should have figured this out based my the 1/20 settings and 3200iso. I can get the same noise reduction result with any photo taken at any low light environment.
And the point of the thread which we are participating in is about very low shutter speeds, nothing else. I don't think anyone here claims to be able to shoot razor sharp at 1/4 did they? If you expect sharp at those speeds, you'd be optimistic to be polite. Staying on point and repeating myself (third time maybe) the shots I took in terrible lighting and at an iso I felt comfortable with based on noise levels, turned out fine. You then piped in with some nonsense about using a P&S and nothing to be proud of, etc. Since then, what you have added tho this thread is nothing. Trust me Alex, you dont need to tell me about iso levels and how that relates to shutter speed, that's photography 101 and to quote you, "missing the whole point" of the thread.
You can go back to shooting dinner place settings and backyard trees in a controlled environment at any iso you choose and I will continue to shoot how I have learned over the last 30 years. One thing to keep in mind, my "soft" shots in an in interesting setting with interesting composition turned out pretty nicely and those who were there that night appreciated them as they captured the moment. What kind of feedback are you receiving from your dinner plates and trees?

Jason

03-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #65

And the point of the thread which we are participating in is about very low shutter speeds, nothing else. I don't think anyone here claims to be able to shoot razor sharp at 1/4 did they? If you expect sharp at those speeds, you'd be optimistic to be polite. Staying on point and repeating myself (third time maybe) the shots I took in terrible lighting and at an iso I felt comfortable with based on noise levels, turned out fine. You then piped in with some nonsense about using a P&S and nothing to be proud of, etc. Since then, what you have added tho this thread is nothing. Trust me Alex, you dont need to tell me about iso levels and how that relates to shutter speed, that's photography 101 and to quote you, "missing the whole point" of the thread.
You can go back to shooting dinner place settings and backyard trees in a controlled environment at any iso you choose and I will continue to shoot how I have learned over the last 30 years. One thing to keep in mind, my "soft" shots in an in interesting setting with interesting composition turned out pretty nicely and those who were there that night appreciated them as they captured the moment. What kind of feedback are you receiving from your dinner plates and trees?

Jason
You're still missing the point.
Blurry images = non fixable = bad
Noisy images = fixable = good.

I'm assuming you're still living the caveman age where you have no clue about post processing.In this case i would agree that you should take soft images.

30 years don't mean much to me. I learned allot faster then you did and didn't' take me 30 years. As for the plates photo i posted since you asked. I'm only getting good feedback. Let's see your plates photo....
03-03-2010, 05:17 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

I would like to point out a couple of things, Alex. 1) The point of this thread is not to critique the photos of others. There are appropriate places to do that. 2) The point of this thread is about slow shutter speeds, specifically. Iso is not mentioned in the OP's thread. I imagine if you had a photo shot at iso 100 and 1/2 second he wouldn't mind if you posted it. 3) I personally don't use iso higher than 1600, not due to noise, but due to loss of dynamic range. I would rather underexpose by a stop and bring it up in post processing than do it in the camera. I also don't use flash in public places. I find it annoying and distracting when others use it and so I don't impose it on them.

Not all photos have to be amazingly sharp. A lot depends on what you are using them for. Not all of the photos I have of my kids are sharp, but truthfully at 4 by 6 or 5 by 7 sizes you wouldn't even notice.
03-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I'm assuming you're still living the caveman age where you have no clue about post processing.In this case i would agree that you should take soft images.

30 years don't mean much to me. I learned allot faster then you did and didn't' take me 30 years. As for the plates photo i posted since you asked. I'm only getting good feedback. Let's see your plates photo....
Just let us know how the plates and backyard trees appreciate those photos. You must be a real whiz-kid around the house.

Enjoy.

Jason
03-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #68

Just let us know how the plates and backyard trees appreciate those photos. You must be a real whiz-kid around the house.

Enjoy.

Jason
It's funny you mentioned this. You are the one who brought up the plates photo more then couple of times and not me. you even posted a link for the photo. How is this related to the thread if you ask. Doesn't look like you are up to the challenge with your 30 years old experience. First you say anyone can take photos like this, now you changed your mind and call me a whiz kid. I appreciate the compliment either way Just don't put your self in positions where you can't stand up to what you write.

Last edited by Alex00; 03-03-2010 at 10:54 AM.
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

This thread is about lowest hand held shutter speed/lens combo, we aren't talking about ISO, we are talking about slowest shutter speed that results in an image that's deemed acceptable by the particular photographer from ISO100 to ISO12800 (or whatever).
03-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #70
Veteran Member

It's funny you mentioned this. You are the one who brought up the plates photo more then couple of times and not me. you even posted a link for the photo. How is this related to the thread if you ask. Doesn't look like you are up to the challenge with your 30 years old experience. First you say anyone can take photos like this, now you changed your mind and call me a whiz kid. I appreciate the compliment either way Just don't put your self in positions where you can't stand up to what you write.
It's called sarcasm. Look it up.

Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

Perhaps you can connect the dots on your own now? Doubtful.

Jason

Last edited by Jasvox; 03-03-2010 at 11:33 PM.
03-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #71

It's called sarcasm. Look it up.

Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

Perhaps you can connect the dots on your own now? Doubtful.

Jason
Nice try, That still doesn't get you off the hook to show us your plates picture since you brought it up.
03-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyways....

I thought I'd give it a try with the DA 55-300mm indoors at 300mm. These are the results I got handheld at 1/10 than 1/4 sec.

300mm wideopen at 1/10 sec shutter speed

crop:

300mm wideopen at 1/4 sec. shutter speed

crop:

So SR is a life saver, and IMO all of the above are usable

It also shows how some shots are sharper than others.... at 300mm wideopen and 1/4 sec shutter speed its all about consistent technique which I do not have.
03-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Nice try, That still doesn't get you off the hook to show us your plates picture since you brought it up.
Those were YOUR photos of plates...click on the link and see if the sense of deja vous occurs. You should spend more time on reading comprehension and less time flaming this forum and subscribing to silly theories such as noise reduction applied to any noisy photo gets you as sharp noise free image. Your views are very sophomoric.

Jason
03-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any Canon or Nikon users here? kindly share your lowest shutterspeed (blur free) w/ regards to the focal length
03-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Any Canon or Nikon users here? kindly share your lowest shutterspeed (blur free) w/ regards to the focal length
I'm a Canon shooter, AND I drink a ton of coffee

And our primes aren't stabilized

With an IS lens, I can get 1/5s with NO problems in the shorter focal lengths (17-85mm) and with my two longer IS lenses (70-200mm f/4 IS and 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS) I need ~1/50s from 200mm on....

The in-lens IS does work very well though (and having a stabilized viewfinder is invaluable, especially out towards 400mm)

With non-IS lenses, I really need high shutter speeds. With my 85mm f/1.8 I find I need 1/100s to "guarantee" a sharp shot. My 30mm f/1.4 is a little more forgiving and can keep it at 1/60s or so...