Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #1

Dead Pixels and Pentax Warranty

After a wedding one day, i was admiring the details i captured with my K100. Then i noticed a blue dot that appears in exactly the same spot in all of my photos. I think it was a dead pixel. I did a 1+ sec test shot with my lens cap on and from that, i was able to find about 3 blue dots (and 4 red ones). My question is, has anybody tried to get this fixed through pentax warranty? Will they fix it? or is the problem too minor.

Ting.

07-07-2007, 12:33 AM   #2

I'm in the same boat as you. My K100 was only 2 months old and I already had 3 dead pixels on the sensor. I was told by many just to shoot RAW and have the pixels fixed in "post," but I thought, after spending around $500 for a camera, I should shoot in whatever format I wanted to. I sent an email to Pentax's customer service and got a pretty-much automated response back telling me to send the camera back to Pentax for warranty repair. I sent it out a few days ago so I'm expecting to hear from them soon with some kinds of questions/answers.
07-07-2007, 03:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I emailed a service dealer yesterday, and they asked if i could see the dead pixel in my developed photos. I think that's the determining factor as to whether i receive service/repairs or not. I'll update on what's going on later.
07-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
they'll supposedly map out the bad pixels for you if you send it back, but I have no idea what the cost might be. I'd guess probably just shipping...

07-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Tingchaleun Quote
Thanks for the reply. I emailed a service dealer yesterday, and they asked if i could see the dead pixel in my developed photos. I think that's the determining factor as to whether i receive service/repairs or not. I'll update on what's going on later.
Yeah, I've talked to a service repair station about the problem and they told me technical issues like stuck pixels would have to be taken care of by Pentax.

And from what I've heard, Kenyee is right about the pixels just being remapped unless the whole sensor looks like a "starry-night" then they might do some sensor repairs/replacing.

I have a feeling you might as well just send in your camera to Pentax now instead of waiting for a response from them. And from what I've heard, Pentax offers an expedited service that costs extra however the turnaround time is reduced greatly. Don't know if that option is available for warranty repairs, but SHOULD be offered for free as far as I'm concerned
07-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
what do you mean by "mapping out pixels", as opposed to replacing the pixel?
07-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am afraid if anyone thought Pentax might remap or replace the CCD would get rib of the hotpixels might be disappointed eventually. My DS went to Japan for banding repair and they did replace the CCD, but it came back with more banding and about the same amount of hot pixels (10+). In fact hot pixels are so common with Pentax DSLRs I think it's best to live with it, or just shoot RAW and the converters will take care of them automatically.
07-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
you make a good point and in fact it was one of my (realistic) worries that even if they do replace the sensor, there is a chance of another (or more) dead pixels. Given the time factor and worries about shipping it away don't justify getting it fixed. i'll shoot raw and/or edit them out. Thanks for all of your replies.

07-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #9

Yeah, it's too bad Pentax has this infamous reputation for shipping/receiving dead pixels. My father has the original Canon Rebel dslr from 4+ years ago and has no problem whatsoever with the sensor.
07-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Can someone post a picture, or a link to one, so I can see what these dead pixels look like? I just got a K100D, and I'd like to know what to look for.

Thanks

Sam
07-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Samb4 Quote
Can someone post a picture, or a link to one, so I can see what these dead pixels look like? I just got a K100D, and I'd like to know what to look for.

Thanks

Sam

^ if you dont see them in your photographs dont go looking for them! lol, hunting for dead pixels, lens cap shots ect have been know to drive a few people mad... let sleeping dogs lie!