Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus screen

My ist-DL focus screen has dust, tiny hairs and I think a finger print or some sort of smudge. That's how I received it second hand. It's very annoying.

What is the best fluid to use to clean it ?

What side is the freznel ? Mirror side or viewfinder side ?

Chromo.

03-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
My ist-DL focus screen has dust, tiny hairs and I think a finger print or some sort of smudge. That's how I received it second hand. It's very annoying.

What is the best fluid to use to clean it ?

What side is the freznel ? Mirror side or viewfinder side ?

Chromo.
If it has a tab, it can only go in one way. The dirt may be on both sides as well as the prism. To clean focusing screens I usually use a mild soap and lots of water (distilled would probably be best). Just make sure it's well rinsed and pet it dry with a microfiber cloth (same as you use on lenses). In spite of popular opinion, they are actually pretty tough.

Oh, in case you didn't get it for some reason, it has to come out to clean it.

03-02-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that.

Do you think I should use like a tiny amount of Palmolive dishwashing liquid or something like sunlight soap ?

I'm not afraid to remove it and clean it, just want to do it right the first time.
03-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went ahead and used Palmolive dishwashing liquid.

Now the viewfinder is perfect !!!

I did learn something else too, have to put it back together with the camera upside down.

When I first unclipped the screen, with the camera on it's back, I found that the screen frame will want to drop onto the mirror. So I cut a strip of tissue and laid it on the mirror to protect it.
On reassembly, the screen and the metal spacer will not align easily, allowing the screen frame to seat and clip back in, unless the camera is inverted.

If the frame is unclipped with the camera inverted the frame could flip up uncontrollably and damage the mirror.

So, now I know.
Remove the screen with the camera on it's back and tissue on the mirror.
Reassemble with the camera upside down.

Thanks heaps for your input...I'm now very happy.

Next job, the dirty sensor. I know how to do that, I'd just like to find out where to get Eclipse fluid and those QuikStrips at a sensible price in Australia. Vanbar is the only one I could find and they're a bloody ripoff at $220 for a tiny kit. But that's one for another post.

Chromo.

Last edited by chromo; 03-02-2010 at 06:50 PM.
03-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I went ahead and used Palmolive dishwashing liquid.

Now the viewfinder is perfect !!!

I did learn something else too, have to put it back together with the camera upside down.

When I first unclipped the screen, with the camera on it's back, I found that the screen frame will want to drop onto the mirror. So I cut a strip of tissue and laid it on the mirror to protect it.
On reassembly, the screen and the metal spacer will not align easily, allowing the screen frame to seat and clip back in, unless the camera is inverted.

If the frame is unclipped with the camera inverted the frame could flip up uncontrollably and damage the mirror.

So, now I know.
Remove the screen with the camera on it's back and tissue on the mirror.
Reassemble with the camera upside down.

Thanks heaps for your input...I'm now very happy.

Next job, the dirty sensor. I know how to do that, I'd just like to find out where to get Eclipse fluid and those QuikStrips at a sensible price in Australia. Vanbar is the only one I could find and they're a bloody ripoff at $220 for a tiny kit. But that's one for another post.

Chromo.
I'm glad it worked out for you, sorry I didn't get back sooner. For the record the reason I suggested mild detergent is because you said there was a fingerprint. Suggesting skin oil. Water alone won't remove it. You Don't want to use a Solvent on a plastic screen because if you use the wrong one, you could fog it.

As for cleaning the sensor, the best product I've found, is Pentax's O-ICK1 cleaning kit. A little pricey yes, but it'll last forever. Or certainly longer than the Sensor Swab kits. Unless the dirt is fused on, it gets everything (that is a solid of some sort). That's after trying the $103 spinning paint brush, the $49 pack of sensor swabs (3 required for each cleaning per instructions), and various other time tested methods. Some people have great results from them but for my money, the Pentax kit does the best job. Of course, if you have some sort of actual smudge from some chemical (fingerprint grease), then the wet clean is needed. But I don't think I'd put soap on the sensor screen.

Good luck..
03-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that because I don't know what the last guy has done and don't know how long the dirt has been there, that I should give it a swab to bring it back to a new state.
I'l have to just wait and see what other Aussie guys say in my other post. I'm not very financial at the moment and want to get this camera going. I've got stacks of photo ideas going round and round in my head.

I already have an incredibly soft brush and I did see a utube on the O-ICK1 and I think that's what I'll buy later to compliment my cleaning kit.

Also, I think that soap would actually do a marvelous job on the sensor, but I haven't yet worked out how to rinse it under the tap without getting the camera wet.

Chromo

Last edited by chromo; 03-02-2010 at 09:22 PM.
03-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Also, I think that soap would actually do a marvelous job on the sensor, but I haven't yet worked out how to rinse it under the tap without getting the camera wet.

Chromo
It Might, but you have to get it off of there, as you note. With the screen, you could take it out of the camera and wash it and then rinse it. Not so with the sensor cover filter. The reason that the E2 is recommended is because it evaporates very fast and doesn't leave streaks.

03-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #8

I don't remember if it was the rubbing alcohol or the dawn dish soap, but I killed my original K10D focusing screen trying to clean it.

Glad to see that it worked out for you, but to those thinking cleaning their screens I would be very careful.

03-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
I don't remember if it was the rubbing alcohol or the dawn dish soap, but I killed my original K10D focusing screen trying to clean it.
It would have been the rubbing alcohol, as dawn dish soap is not a solvent.