Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought a K10D as backup. Waiting to see the next Pentax release. I'm just not sold on the Kx

03-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Unruely Quote
I think I should maybe not have worded it as looking for a backup. I think maybe it should have been just a second body to work with it? I like the idea of the weather resistantance of the K20D, but wonder if the low light capabilities of the Kx would serve me better?? That is where Im at in my decision making process right now. Then there is always the new versus old debate, but that does not concern me much at all.
Actually the low light capabilities of the K20D are very good. Much better than the K-7 and close to that of the K-x. I own the K20D and have shot at 1600 with very good results. If low light capability is your primary criteria I'd go with the K20D for the added benefit of a front e-wheel and the ablility to change metering w/o having to resort to diving into the menu. From what I've seen the price of a used K20D and a new K-x are approximatey the same.

NaCl(my two cents)H2O
03-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

That's the first time I've heard someone say an older camera has better noise handling. I'd like to see the differences between the K-7, K20D and the K10D. Is there any noise test between these?
There is a website with lots of noise tests and where you can compare to camras to each other. I can't remember the address but they removed the K10D a while ago...
03-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Actually the low light capabilities of the K20D are very good. Much better than the K-7 and close to that of the K-x. I own the K20D and have shot at 1600 with very good results. If low light capability is your primary criteria I'd go with the K20D for the added benefit of a front e-wheel and the ablility to change metering w/o having to resort to diving into the menu. From what I've seen the price of a used K20D and a new K-x are approximatey the same.
Some people claim to see a huge difference, I think most have agreed that there is a very slight difference between the K-7 and K20D, with slightly higher luminance noise in the K-7, and slightly higher chrominance noise in the K20D.

Certainly, the K20D is nowhere near the K-x, which I've found to be offer excellent results at ISO 3,200, and be perfectly useable at ISO 6,400.

03-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
That's the first time I've heard someone say an older camera has better noise handling. I'd like to see the differences between the K-7, K20D and the K10D. Is there any noise test between these?
There is a website with lots of noise tests and where you can compare to camras to each other. I can't remember the address but they removed the K10D a while ago...
Actually, for what it's worth, if you go to dpreview and read the reviews of the K10D, K20D & K-7, you'll find them saying, that the RAW IQ is always lower with every new camera. They compare the K10D to the K20D in the K10D review and the K20D to the K-7 in the K20D review...
dxomark also ranks IQ of those three: 1st K10D, 2nd K20D, 3rd K-7... At least at lower ISO...
Best,
Michael
03-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-m/K2000, the most trouble free model in Pentax DSLR history.
03-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I agree with the K20D as a back-up. but I would suggest that you should wait for 3 more months for Pentaxs next dlsr.
Sorry to disagree but I had that setup and it drove me crazy. The best backup to a K-7 is another K-7.

The reason is that Pentax switched the positions of the EC and green button, so when switching to the backup body, I kept hitting the wrong button and missing some shots.

- Itai
Neoluminance | Fine Art Photography by Itai Danan
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I made my decision and went with the K20D. I would have loved a second K7, but the funds were not available for that! Im expect it to arrive the middle of next weeksome additional lenses and such at this time too! It never ends!! lol

03-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Enjoy! I'm sure it's a great camera. The K10D is!