Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Backup camera choice to go with the K7?

I recently purchased a K7 and I love it. I just sold my Nikon gear to purchase a backup camera. I want another body and lenses to work with the K7. I am thinking the Kx, but would like to hear some others thoughts and opinions? I mainly am an outdoor photographer but am getting into some portrait work.

Thanks
Martin

03-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

K20D - most similar - weather-sealed.
Probably get a cheap second-hand one.
03-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with the K20D as a back-up. but I would suggest that you should wait for 3 more months for Pentaxs next dlsr.
03-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I agree with the K20D as a back-up. but I would suggest that you should wait for 3 more months for Pentaxs next dlsr.
If you want a backup able to handle the same environmental shooting conditions as the K-7, then yes, I'd go with the K20D. If you want a second body that will expand your capabilities in terms of low-light / high ISO shooting, but also be able to fill in for the K7 in many conditions so long as it's not wet or below freezing, then you might be better served by the K-x.

This is one of these situations where you need to be asking yourself what you want the second body to achieve, and you'll likely find the answer is thus prescribed for you.

03-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

K20 - cus you mentioned outdoor work. Good camera, great price.
If not then the K-x or even a K200.
03-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I am pondering the same need for a backup, but more also something a little different while still handling all my Pentax lenses. I am considering the K-x based on low light shooting alone. My K-7 can pretty much do it all, but the K-x in low light appears to provide great results...so...as a backup or second camera, that is what I am considering.

Jason
03-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

having to experience a lot of rain here, the k-x is clearly out of the equation. did I say the shooting under the rain is cool? well, as long as you dont like getting wet or dont get sick.

03-02-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How about another K-7 or is cost an issue? I wish I could afford another body (a new body). I want better noise handling than my K10D.
What Nikon body were you using previously?
03-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you ready for an off the wall suggestion?

What about finding a little used *istD or DS.

Now I know these are really "old" but they do something that no other pentax DSLR does. They have TTL flash capability.

That means you get good flash metering with all the K mount and M42 mount lenses.

For me, i don't consider back up as simply a second body, but a body that can do different things.

Although the *istD and DS are only 6 MP that is still enough resolution to make full frame shots into a 13 x 19 print.
03-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a KX and a K7. I don't consider either a backup or reserve body. I have them because they each have strengths that the other does not have. I find they complement each other perfectly.
03-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
I have a KX and a K7. I don't consider either a backup or reserve body. I have them because they each have strengths that the other does not have. I find they complement each other perfectly.
ditto here.
I love my K-7 and my K-x comes in handy when I need high ISO shooting :-)
03-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have considered another K7 body and have not ruled it out totaly yet, but I am leaning more toward the K20D or the Kx. I had been using a Nikon D100 and was able to sell it and all the gear with it for enough to get a second Pentax. I am looking over what body would suit me better and that is the fun part! Im going on a vacation soon and want the second camera before i leave for that. I must keep weighing the pros and cons between the K20D and the Kx and make a decision!
03-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unruely Quote
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have considered another K7 body and have not ruled it out totaly yet, but I am leaning more toward the K20D or the Kx. I had been using a Nikon D100 and was able to sell it and all the gear with it for enough to get a second Pentax. I am looking over what body would suit me better and that is the fun part! Im going on a vacation soon and want the second camera before i leave for that. I must keep weighing the pros and cons between the K20D and the Kx and make a decision!

I had a K20 which is a fine camera, however there is not so much of a difference between the K20 and the K7 from a results standpoint. The KX really is a step up in low light shooting, which can also translate into better long lens shooting shutter speed wise.

I know the KX does not have the weather seals and the second dial but those things can be overcome.
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I would keep the K7 as a back up for a K20D IMHO...
03-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #15

Original Poster
I think I should maybe not have worded it as looking for a backup. I think maybe it should have been just a second body to work with it? I like the idea of the weather resistantance of the K20D, but wonder if the low light capabilities of the Kx would serve me better?? That is where Im at in my decision making process right now. Then there is always the new versus old debate, but that does not concern me much at all.