Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samsung NX10 Prices Announced: $700/£600/€700

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The NX10 finally has a price at B&H, and you can preorder it at Adorama and Amazon UK. Amazon Germany seems to have it in stock. It's MIA on Amazon US. Amazon UK says March 15 arrival date. I spoke to B&H and there are no set dates, they're "waiting for it to arrive soon".

So price is $700 in the US, £600 in the UK and €700 in Europe. This is for the camera plus 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens.

Anyone think this is a bit high for a camera aimed at people upgrading from P&Ss? Most likely Samsung is going the Olympus route and will release two more models, one below and the other above the NX10.

As you probably know, an adapter has been announced, but it will be completely manual; not even auto diaphragm closing.

I'll be reviewing this camera once it's released in the US, so stay tuned.

Last edited by Miserere; 03-02-2010 at 09:16 AM.
03-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I believe the NX10 is already on sale in Korea (Samsung is Korean, after all) and maybe other parts of Asia. The Korean website, SLRClub, has a review out already. It's a strange format because it's a bunch of images, which means you can't run Google translate on it. But there are plenty of graphs, photos and videos to be entertained with. Check out the video testing the FPS; for a mirrorless camera, the NX10 is quite loud. I'm not sure I understand why these cameras still have a mechanical shutter.

Anyway, the images look quite good, even at ISO 3200, so I'm really looking forward to taking this baby out for a spin.

03-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The current conventional shutter design still requires a mechanical shutter to avoid certain image quality issues caused by electronic shutters such as highlight blooming, which was an observed issue with cameras like the D70. They should be unnecessary pretty soon though, for example panasonic is designing a global-shutter sensor for the upcoming GH2...
03-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For information, the camera have just been tested on this French site

Pros :
- Good Autofocus in well lit enviroment (on par with Panasonic)
- Beatiful AMOLED screen
- Beautiful picture quality up to 800 ISO
- Working 720p video
- Usable finder and compacity of camera

Cons :
- No in-body stabilisation
- Not enough lens available
- No face detection in video (???)
- Shutter noise
- No software for OS-X

Overall 5 stars (maxium reachable, does not take into account price)

03-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

at least their pricing the worth of these mirrorless cameras a little more right, not quite there yet, but at least it's a improvement.
03-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
- No software for OS-X
what does it mean ? SilkyPix is available for Mac platform... and that was OEM raw converter for Samsung before...
03-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
what does it mean ? SilkyPix is available for Mac platform... and that was OEM raw converter for Samsung before...
There's unfortunatly no details about it. I guess that the CD provided to the journalists has no Mac version. No sure it will be the cas ein the commercial package.

Anyway not very important point.

03-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
For information, the camera have just been tested on this French site

Pros :
- Good Autofocus in well lit enviroment (on par with Panasonic)
- Beatiful AMOLED screen
- Beautiful picture quality up to 800 ISO
- Working 720p video
- Usable finder and compacity of camera

Cons :
- No in-body stabilisation
- Not enough lens available
- No face detection in video (???)
- Shutter noise
- No software for OS-X

Overall 5 stars (maxium reachable, does not take into account price)
Based on these pros and cons, I cant see why anyone would choose this camera over a K-x, Sure it fits in your pocket a little easier than the K-x, but at the end of the day, what does that really get you?

Jason
03-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

To be fair, an NX10+pancake isn't just a little more pocketable than the K-x, it's a LOT more pocketable than the K-x. The thickness of the body is the main factor here. So that and superior video is what could sway me if those were my main priorities.

At the end of the day, the extra portability means that the camera was with me while I was running around everywhere (as usual) rather than sitting at home like my K-x is now.

But I'm still glad I have the K-x instead.
03-04-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Based on these pros and cons, I cant see why anyone would choose this camera over a K-x, Sure it fits in your pocket a little easier than the K-x, but at the end of the day, what does that really get you?
Bragging rights. Samsung are trying to appeal to those that buy cameras based on the coolness factor. The latest and slimiest is usually the coolest. Of course, a camera in 100 colour combinations is also very cool

03-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

EVIL video capture is so much nicer than any SLR. The lack of mirror lockup is huge. I've gotten to play with an Olympus Pen. While I was underwhelmed with the slow focus speed, the thing was a much better video camera than the three different brands of SLRs I've demoed. Small size and light weight are big plusses. Don't forget the decent high ISO speed and APS-C 14 MP sensor. If Samsung follows through on their bit to own the non-mirror, interchangeable lens market, they'll have more lenses and bodies out soon. This is good.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365