Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

K7 viewfinder information display broken?

Hi Folks,

So I just got my K7 yesterday and noticed that the viewfinder display seems to be broken. Not all the segments of the 7 segment display of certain digits light up when they should. For instance, the 00 for the ISO never have the E segments (File:7 segment display labeled.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) lit. The A segments for the aperture reading don't light up, neither does the letter F. Similarly the D segments for the shutter speed don't light up.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with their cameras and how they went about getting it fixed.

Thanks,
-A.

03-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mapleneckblues Quote
Hi Folks,

So I just got my K7 yesterday and noticed that the viewfinder display seems to be broken. Not all the segments of the 7 segment display of certain digits light up when they should. For instance, the 00 for the ISO never have the E segments (File:7 segment display labeled.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) lit. The A segments for the aperture reading don't light up, neither does the letter F. Similarly the D segments for the shutter speed don't light up.

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with their cameras and how they went about getting it fixed.

Thanks,
-A.
Some would suggest you send it in for service but I would get it exchanged. Who knows what else is wrong with it. Exchange it, let them deal with it (this is a NEW camera, correct?).

03-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes this is a brand new camera, thanks for your response. I'm contemplating getting it exchanged as well.
03-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was just going over the return policy at B&H. Looks like they have this clause:

"Items with timers must show less than 120 minutes of use. Items with shutter counters must show less than 200 exposures."

Mine had 388 shutter actuations out of the box.

03-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mapleneckblues Quote
I was just going over the return policy at B&H. Looks like they have this clause:

"Items with timers must show less than 120 minutes of use. Items with shutter counters must show less than 200 exposures."

Mine had 388 shutter actuations out of the box.
Call and get an RMA number. I don't think they are going to give you any problem (could be wrong though), They are aware that shutter counts are never 0 right out of the box. What they are trying to avoid is the Try it out user who will take it on a one week vacation and then return it. You are not returning but asking for an exchange (I assume so anyway).

03-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes thanks Jeff!. I just had a chat with an online agent, and he e-mailed me an RMA form and a prepaid UPS label instantly. I asked him about the shutter actuations and he said that it shouldn't be a problem since it is defective :-). Will call them during lunch and confirm.

P.S.:
I definitely want an exchange and don't want to just return it :-).
03-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Make a note of the serial number, so you can check if you indeed get a replacement or a repair.