Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Maybe it can be in the Pentax dlsr section but this concerns the lenses and flashes as well and it cant be in the off brand since we are talking mainly about pentax.
Not really....you are trying to identify what is on other brands to make it worth while switching...

03-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Im trying to identify what Pentax lacks that made other people switch or made other pentaxians have 2nd thoughts
03-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #18
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Sold what? Is there more to this story? :-)
Sony А300 - the worst body between all DSLR - no good plastic, very poor functional, noisy above ISO200. But fast and good stab, good IQ at ISO100-200. Anyway, my K200D is better.

Minolta 85/1.4 is not bad, but FA77 is better.
For me. What else? No any regrets.

Olympus E420 + pancake - my daughter uses it now.
03-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Sony А300 - the worst body between all DSLR - no good plastic, very poor functional, noisy above ISO200. But fast and good stab, good IQ at ISO100-200. Anyway, my K200D is better.

Minolta 85/1.4 is not bad, but FA77 is better.
For me. What else? No any regrets.

Olympus E420 + pancake - my daughter uses it now.
Whats the reason why you go for the Sony? Pentax has good IQ at iso 100-200 too

03-02-2010, 11:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Phumsith Quote
I am thinking to switch to Canon because Pentax has no real super telephoto lens (600mm up) available for me. I usually take wildlife photography.Currently, 500mm is the longest focal length for Pentax, and I already own one (Bigma). However, many times 500mm is not enough. I am waiting for Pentax or third party lens producers to release super telephotho lens for Pentax mount, but it seems like this is just my hope. I like Pentax very much, and never use other brands since I have started to shoot with SLR camera (almost 20 year ago). Withing 1 or 2 year, if there are no super telephoto lens for Pentax, I would probably switch to Canon. However, I may keep Pentax as my every day use camera.
I don't buy this argument. The difference between 500 and 600 is minimal in my mind. I don't care to do the math on it right now but the FOV difference is not all that big. Could easily crop to the same FOV without losing much on the k20d's sensor.

500 vs 600

Also, pentax does make a 600mm lens thats phenomenal. If you can afford canon or Nikon f/4 super teles, you can afford the FA*
03-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #21
ogl
Pentaxian

Whats the reason why you go for the Sony? Pentax has good IQ at iso 100-200 too
The wish to try Minolta 85 and Sony bodies.
03-03-2010, 01:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phumsith Quote
I am thinking to switch to Canon because Pentax has no real super telephoto lens (600mm up) available for me.
I know where there's a K mount 1000mm f/11 sitting on a shelf. I think they want $900 CAD but its been a while since I asked. There are other long Pentax lenses out there but you have to be patient and willing to drop a fair bit of money.

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 1000mm F11
03-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I've been thinking that augmenting with another brand makes sense for fast and long on Pentax. I would rather pay for new than old and for the price of long and fast on Pentax, you can also do pretty well on another system.

At a certain level of spending money, like on long fast lenses, the cost of another body doesn't seem outrageous if you think about doing it when you would be updating Pentax bodies anyway. I like my current Pentax cameras, so it wouldn't kill me to keep using them instead of making the switch to say the K-7.

For long lenses, the probability is that you would be using the lens on a tripod or some type of support, so losing SR isn't much of an issue. Most the longer lenses in other mounts are going to have in-lens stabilization anyway. There isn't any advantage in having a small camera with a large long fast lens, and I don't think you can deny that a D300 with a long fast lenses will have better predictive AF. It seems like we are moving out of Pentax's sweet spot for what these type of lenses would be used for.

My last issue is that I've seen posts about work not being able to be done, even just cleaning and lube work, on old Pentax lenses as the parts for such work aren't available. To spend thousands on pursuing these lenses, if they ever do come up for sale, seems too large a risk. If I was ever to spend thousands on a lens, it probably would only be once.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 03-03-2010 at 08:26 PM.
03-03-2010, 03:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like the IQ of Pentax and im pretty happy with the results. I like the idea of using old glasses on new model of dslrs and the body image stabilization. The only thing that bothers me is when shooting on a very low light I cant focus even w/ the help of the pop up flash. and also the lack of alternative on very cheap glasses.
I tried the D80 on the dark and the focus goes smoothly without any hunt for AF. and They got some very cheap primes like $100-200.
Im thinking of 2 systems, all Pentax except indoors / low light.
Maybe a D90 w/ 18-105 and a prime and some flashes.
Anyone tried using 2 systems im interested to know how it work out for you..
03-03-2010, 03:22 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I also went to Canon for a little while. I'll probably own another Canon in the future, but I'll also keep my K-x.

When it comes to my buying decisions, I ignore camera brands for the most part. Instead I look at how well a given system fits what I want to do, in which case the sensor and the lens are the most important aspects for what I like to do. My reason for buying a Canon was the EF 85mm f1.8, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I found the 40D's sensor a bit lackluster and the combination was too big/heavy and too lacking in flexibility for me to travel with, which is where the K-x came in.

Currently, my standards for sensor quality give me the latest SONY 12mp sensor (K-x, D5000, D90), the 14mp Sony sensor in the A550, and the 18mp canon sensors in the 7D and T2i. Or any FF sensor. I find the older sensors far less flexible in their capabilities (they're certainly capable of great pictures, but why not get the best you can?).

This leaves the Pentax, Sony, Nikon, and Canon lens selections open to me, as there are bodies to put behind their glass whose sensors I find satisfactory. I'd love to see Panasonic make some major leaps in sensor design so that I can put 4/3 under consideration as well, they've got some great glass. And there are fantastic lenses to be found in any of these systems.

After lens selection, the final consideration is value. I'm at a pretty low income level, so maximum bang for the buck is something important to me.

Currently, all my favorite lenses are either in the K mount or EF mount, so Pentax and Canon are my two main choices. In regards to value, Pentax used to be the clear leader... until the lens price hikes. This is one area I feel Pentax could improve in, like you asked. Pentax's value equation used to be one of its primary draws, and it's simply not there any more (except in the entry level and the used body market). Currently, the greatest value in lenses (for me) is found with Canon, where there are a wide selection of decent-to-excellent primes available for less than $400 used. That EF 85mm f1.8 compares pretty darn well to the FA77 at less than half the price- that's what I call value!

So the K-x is my current reality, and will most likely reside in my stable until it dies (perhaps I'll get a sigma 20mm f1.8 and dedicate the K-x to low-light work), and the Canon T2i is almost definitely in my future (along with a 100mm f2 and probably something wide, at the least).

Defining one's thoughts and behaviors along brand lines is really unnecessarily limiting.
EF 85/1.8 and/or EF 100/2 are reason enough to switch to Canon. VERY good optical quality + Ultrasonic focus + very attractive prices!

I'm also very attracted to the 550D/T2i's manual 1080P video & external microphone jack. It's like a 7D without the physical massiveness.

One thing that won't separate me with my K-x anytime soon is the K-mount. It's like I can fit any lens in there (except Canon EF lol)!
03-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #26

I just got a Sony A850 w CZ24-70. Really like the color, dynamic range and AF, but ditch the weight and size.

I might keep 2 systems.

I still perfer the Pentax handling and the customisation settings offered in body. Wish pentax has a faster AF version of 16-50. That would be perfect.
03-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #27
juu
Veteran Member

I'm 90% sure I will be switching in the next 3 months, about 80% sure it will be the Pana GF-1 + Pana 20mm + Pana 14-45mm + Oly 9-18mm + k-mount adapter to use my (admittedly, not premium) legacy k-mount lenses.

Because:
a) Want something more compact and lightweight than even the K-x as I want a single system for business trips, hiking and other photography.

b) Want to buy more lenses but the Pentax options carry a heavy premium in the UK (12-24 is GBP 900 = $1400, which is way too much). Also would feel stupid buying lenses which cost a lot less a few years ago (irrational, but true).

c) Don't have much of an investment to speak of, as I only got more into photography recently, so switching is easy.

d) Pentax does not offer a fully-WR system for my needs (e.g., no WR ultra-wides).

e) SDM concerns limit the lens options for me.

I'd still buy a Pentax DSLR over Canon/Nikon/Sony as my single camera, but I want a smaller camera like the Micro Four Thirds mirrorless compacts.

If I'd run two systems and money were way less of an issue, I'd probably take the GF1 + 20mm + etc. for lightweight needs and 5Dmk2 + 17-40mm + etc. for serious photography.

Last edited by juu; 03-03-2010 at 11:47 PM.
03-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Just interested why 2 systems?
What do you use the canon for and
what do you use the pentax for?
I'd also be interested in Nikon (probably the D90, great camera) if they had the lens selection I want at the price point I want. But they don't, and Canon does. Just a matter of preferences.

I would use the Pentax for situations where I wanted a small, quick camera that I can afford to take risks with. For example, the month of rough travel around south america that it recently experienced, and all the hiking and cycling I plan to do this spring and summer. Also possibly for low-light work, due to the in-body SR stabilizing the fast, cheap legacy glass that I find so well-suited to the shows and etc. I shoot.

The Canon I would use for my more contemplative work and situations where I've got a setup on tripod with strobes and etc.; I do a lot of portraiture and landscape as well as some more experimental stuff, and obviously I would use the Canon for any situation where it was necessary for me to use those nice EF lenses I'd be picking up.

Basically, the K-x would be my walkaround while the T2i would be my workhorse. Both are excellent, and both mount a variety of excellent lenses, in a good value equation.
03-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #29
Pentaxian

It has crossed my mind to switch due to the lack of 400-600mm lenses for pentax as I shoot long or short most of the time. But then I remember the manual 'in-between' lenses that I like, and will wait for a third party long lens to come out. As far as camera / image quality goes, pentax is very good. I routinely shoot with a friend and his nikon d200 with tamron 12-24mm. Can't tell the difference in shots, and he paid much more than I did. And I'm hooked on the DA 40mm

Last edited by ivoire; 03-03-2010 at 10:36 AM.
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #30

I agree with you (jmbradd) about 500 and 600 are not much different. However, my point is choices available. For pentax, only 500mm available from third party lens (Sigma). You said that Pentax 600mm f4 is still in production but with special order from Pentax Japan, and I doubt that its cost will not be cheaper than the new Canon 600mm f4 IS or Simga 300-800mm f5.6(may be more expensive). Let play with some numbers. For Pentax, there are just 3 super telephoto lenses in the market; Sigma 50-500mm and 150-500mm, and Sigma 500mm. And they are just 500mm. However, if I used Canon, there are at least 10 super telephotho lenses (zoom and prime) I can choose; Sigma 50-500mm and 150-500mm, Tamron 200-500mm, Canon and Sigma 500mm, Canon 600mm, Canon and Sigma 800mm, Sigma 300-800mm and Canon 1200mm. Furthermore, I could buy these lenses new or used easily (except Canon 1200mm) because they are plenty available in the market. Because of these reasons that why I am thinking to switch to Canon.